The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Epson RD1

M

michaeljk

Hello,

I'm currently looking for an Epson RD-1(s). If you want to sell one, please write me a message. My location is in Europe, but I have no problem with delivery costs if the camera is in good technical condition (scratches and signs of use are ok)!

Michael

Godfrey

A quick search on Ebay for "Epson R-D1s camera" revealed two available for sale, one in Hong Kong, the other in Japan. Prices are USD $1500-2200.

M

michaeljk

Hello Godfrey,

thank you for your reply. Unfortunatly, $2200 is nearly the price for a Leica M8 now and the Epson on EBay for $1,578.00 looks very used (and therefore expensive), so both are no option for me. I'm not a collector, I just want to take my pictures with a good camera, and the R-D1 is my first choice.

Godfrey

Hello Godfrey,

thank you for your reply. Unfortunatly, $2200 is nearly the price for a Leica M8 now and the Epson on EBay for $1,578.00 looks very used (and therefore expensive), so both are no option for me. I'm not a collector, I just want to take my pictures with a good camera, and the R-D1 is my first choice.
I haven't seen any Epson R-D1 bodies selling for much less than about $1400 in any condition at all. Mint examples have held most of their original value.

The R-D1 is something of a rarity and a specialty piece, my understanding is that only about 10,000 of them were made in total through all variants. The result is that they tend to cost quite a lot. There are plenty of extremely good cameras out there that are a lot less expensive. I could name a few but it would probably spur an argument, so I won't.

BTW: Just because a Leica M8 is $2200 or more doesn't make it a collector's camera. It just happens to be a very expensive camera, that's all.

Good luck on your quest to find a low-priced R-D1! If I'd found one, I'd likely have bought it as I like the R-D1 too.

Oren Grad

You might also keep an eye on the Rangefinder Forum classifieds, where R-D1's seem to turn up more frequently than anywhere else.