The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD: Leica 50mm F1.4 Summilux Pre ASPH E46

John Black

Leica 50mm Summilux-M Pre-ASPH
Built in Sliding Hood, E46 Filter Size and Black
$1750 Shipped and Paypal'd in the US

I bought the Leica 50 Lux a couple weeks ago for the Leica M8.2, and it turns out that 50mm focal length on the 1.33x crop factor is longer than I need / prefer. Normally I'm not much of a 35mm type-of-person, but on the M8.2 the 35mm focal length is more in line with what I was looking for, so the 50 Lux is up for sale.

Glass is perfect. Focus is very light, uniformly smooth - no issues. The aperture ring clicks cleanly. The lens is solid, there is no wiggle or play in any of the mechanisms. The lens is a moderately high serial number 369xxxx. This is the last version of the pre-ASPH's - it has the sliding hood and is the same size, etc., as the new(er) 50 Lux ASPH. The Lux ASPH has the focusing tab, the pre-ASPH does not. In terms of the barrel design, that's only difference I see between the two.

There is some paint wear on the knurled edges (focus ring, aperture ring, etc). It's minor. Focus is accurate on my M8.2 (that's the only M body I have). F1.4 performance is sharp. Not as sharp as the Leica 50 Lux ASPH, but pretty close. The 50 Pre-ASPH has a nice rendering / feel at F1.4 and I see why people like it for portraits. If I had a M9, I would probably keep the 50 Lux, but with the M8.2 the 50mm FOV is too long (for me) as a do-it-all lens.

The sale includes the lens and front & rear Leica lens caps. Shipping via FEDEX ground, insurance included. I'll post some pictures later.

Last edited by a moderator: