The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Brand New in Box Konica Hexar-M 28mm f2.8 M Lens

D&A

Hi All,

OK, very lengthy description, but since many not be completely familar with this lens (construction and performance), I thought I'd give a detailed explanation.

Up for sale is an absolutely brand new in the box Konica Hexar-M mount 28mm f2.8 lens, with a option for the buyer to purchase a brand new unopened Leica 46mm UV/IR cut filter at a siginificantly reduced price/ I'll give a brief description of the history of this particular lens, what's in the box (one item is missing), the Hexar-M 28mm f2.8 lens performance in general, focusing accuracy and price etc.

*** Please note: Since I am usually on my cell phone, responding to PM's is very difficult from it...SO PLEASE e-mail me (instead of PM's) at IRGdme "at" AOL "dot" Com. with any questions or purchases, although once back at a regular computer, its then possible to answer PM's.

This lens was purchased brand new and was kept in my dads collection, un-used. I also owned one when they were first released when the Konica RF was released ,strictly with film and although years later sold it, acquired another used one when the M8 came out and have used it with the M8 and M9...so I am very familiar with the Hexar-M 28mm f2.8 performance characteristics. It's reported to follow the optical arrangement of the Leica 28mm f2.8 pre asph Version IV.

The lens up for sale is flawless in condition, as a brand new lens should be. No flaws, marks, brassing etc. on the barrel. Glass is also flawless, inside and out. The focusing control is perfectly smooth (but firm) from end to end. Aperture blades are completely clean, and the click-stops of the aperture are smooth and decisive. No dust at all inside the lens barrel.

Some Konica Hexar-M lenses have been reported to back focus with certain Leica bodies. The lens up for sale was taken out of its original box in order to take shots of it and to take a few test shots to be absolutely sure of it's accuracy of focusing with a M8.2 and M9 body. The lens focused perfectly three different distances.. min, mid-range and infinity. In additional there is no focus shift!! Lastly lens comes right into infinity perfectly at the end of its focusing range too! Lens focuses down to .7 m !!

Except for removing the lens for this purpose, lens was immediately put back in it's box untouched.

Build quality is exceptional (and beautiful) and most describe it as good as the best of them. All metal construction, tightly put together, no sloppiness in any controls, good grip on focusing and aperture ring.

As shown in the pictures below, the entire contents of the original box have been left untouched since leaving the factory....except for the lens itself (very briefly) as described above and the 46mm hood.

*** When the lens was purchased new, my dad only removed the screw-in hood from the box at the time to try it on some other wide angle lenses he had. I have been searching for what he might have done with the hood but to no avail...so the box is complete with everything as it comes brand new EXCEPT for the original screw-in hood, which is missing and unfortunately WILL NOT be included with this lens.

Inside the box is of course the new lens with both original front metal lens cap and rear plastic lens cap, the lens drawstring pouch (never opened), the hood pouch (without the hood) also never opened, all original paperwork (instructions, cards etc. untouched, the bag and cloth that the hood was originally wrapped in, box inserts and inventory card.

Performance: All the Hexar-M 28mm f2.8 lenses I have owned, all performed basically the same and the few test shots on this sample up for sale (to check focusing of this particular sample), is no exception. On film or for those that don't pixel peep all the way up to 100% (1:1 crop) will find this lens exquisite in performance...excellent center sharpness from f2.8 to beyond f8 and edges and corners much softer at f2.8 but improve at f4 and slowly play catch-up and very good by f5.6 and f8. Wide open at minimum focusing disatnce of .7m, the lens is very sharp, edge even at f2.8...very impressive performance!!

For those that are super critical and examine images at 100% (actual 1:1 pixel) and plan to blow up images to 18x24 and larger...Wide open at f2.8, center resolution is already at approx 80 percent or higher of its best center resolution and it's sharp! Edges and corners are much softer but it's camera-subject dependent. At minimum distance of .7 m, this lens is impressive at any aperture...including wide open at f2.8! At f4 edges and corners improve but the biggest jump (in the edges and corners) occurs at f5.6. where it's extremely good and by f8 it's truly excellent. As stated, lens not only focuses perfectly on properly calibrated Leica M bodies (including M8 and M9)..the lens shows no apparent focus shift!! Performace at minimum distance (.7m) is impressive, edge to edge, even at f2.8 and examining at 100% crop.

Lens in directly bright lighting controls flair well and occasionally shows a small amount of CA at f2.8 which deminishes if it shows at all upon closing down.

A few months ago I had a chance to compare my own used Hexar-M 28mm f2.8 vs. the Leica 28mm f2 Summicon asph. Although the edges and corners of the Summicron were superior, especially at f2.8 and f4....the Hexar was superb across 80% of the central part of the frame at these f-stops and by f5.6 and f8 the Hexar is certainly impressive, especially against the many times more expensive Leica.

What I like most about the Hexar is the way it draws...simply lovely with great sharpness but not so biting that it's distracting. Contrast is very well balanced, especially for digital Personally I much prefer it to Leica's 28mm f2.8 asph. Lastly it's amazingly flair resistant and this contributes to it's good color reproduction.

If one desires a hood, Heavystar is known to sell a inexpensive metal hood with 46mm threads for wide angle RF lenses.

A few of these lenses can be found, new mostly from Hong Kong at $900.00 plus shipping. My price is $749.00 new to me with free shipping within CONUS. If the purchaser of the lens needs a 46mm UV/IR cut filter, I would be willing to sell a absolutely brand new un-onpned Leica 46mm one for $67.00 . Otherwise filter is listed as a seperate sale item (without purchase of lens) in another posting for $89.00 .

As reference, I've done many transactions (brought and sold) here on Getdpi as well as all the other usual forums and each one was a pleasure. I've also been on ebay for 10 years with 1300 pure positives!

***Again, Please note: Since I am usually on my cell phone, responding to PM's is very difficult from it...SO PLEASE e-mail me (instead of PM's) at IRGdme "at" AOL "dot" Com. with any questions or purchases, although once back at a regular computer, its then possible to answer PM's.

Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Thanks so much for your kind words, its truly appreciated. Since the lens is one that many may not know a lot about, haven't used or possibly haven't read a comprehensive user report, I thought I'd provide much detail. This is especially so for those planning to use it on a digital RF body where things become more critical with lenses and people tend to exmaine at extreme magnification. Thanks again!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Hi All,

The quoted lens performance tests (above) were done primarily on both full frame film body and the full frame M9. Although I cannot edit my description, needless to say, this lens on a cropped body such as a Leica M8/M8.2 or 4/3rds body would even have more impressive edge and corner performance (due to to using more of the center of the lens).

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Thought I'd add two test shots taken with this lens..one at f4 and one at f8. Thanks!

Last edited:

D&A

NEW LOWER PRICE!!

Hi All,

I am lowering the original asking price on this brand lens to $695.00 (net to me) with free shipping in the CONUS and will deduct similar amount for those buyers outside the U.S.

I personally believe when all factors are taken into consideration, excellent performance, build quality, brand new condition, tactile feel when in use and its ergonomics....this lens is possibly the best buy in 28mm for Leica M mount. My description above gives all the details of what comes with the lens and contains a very critical/demanding report on its performance...mostly when examined at 1:1 (100% actual pixel). Pictures above are a representitive of it's performance. Personally one of my favorites, especially the way it draws and thats why I have my other well used one.

***Again, Please note: Since I am usually on my cell phone, responding to PM's is very difficult from it...SO PLEASE e-mail me (instead of PM's) at IRGdme "at" AOL "dot" Com. with any questions or purchases, although once back at a regular computer, its then possible to answer PM's.

Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Hi All,

I just wanted to mention that this lens is now "Sold". I'd like to thank everyone who made inquires and contributed to some great informative conversations.

Dave (D&A)