The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 90mm F1.0 Rare collectors item

Dustbak

I have used this lens for years but lately I have not been taking it out of the closet. The images it renders are downright weird with lots of optical errors. I have used it to create backgrounds, textures and other creative things. Time to give someone else the chance to have fun with this lens. These lenses are rare and have not been on the market often lately.

It is a big piece of glass. I have it next to an AFD 80/1.4 in one image so you can compare.

500euros

See the images:

Dustbak

Neither. This is a fixed aperture, fixed focus lens. Basically one big pile of glass.

You can only use it at f1.0. It has focus (not much to speak off) around 50cm's. This lens is not meant to produce sharp images, it is a freaky thing that produces freaky images. Really nice for creative work.

kds315

This is just for clarification guys: this lens is from an older type Xray machine and was used as a relay lens to project a very faint (hence the f1.0 speed - I have some which go down to f0.75) image to a recording camera. These lenses do not need an iris nor focus mount and have an extremely shallow DOF due to their speed. The biggest downside is the very short back focal length which does only allow a few inches of distance to an object to shoot when mounted to a modern DSLR (which I did with several of mine). The images are very soft and dreamy, quite nice effect - but forget about taking portraits or anything further away thean a few inches. I bought mine in a surplus store, so I will refrain from commenting on the asked price.

And btw just to be precise: this is NOT A NIKON lens as labeled, it is FOR NIKON, but FJW industries (many other company made such lenses, like KOWA, ZEISS, LEITZ, RODENSTOCK etc.)

Nice shots shown!!

Lazzaros

The minimum focus distance is the problem as I would like to use it for fashion photography... :S

kds315

The minimum focus distance is the problem as I would like to use it for fashion photography... :S
I know your work, also this is why I wanted that clarification. Great lens for macro shooters who want that shallow DOF soft effect....

Lazzaros

Thanks Klaus,

that would be cool to find one lens as this one that allows me to shoot fashion with this particular character. :)

Dustbak

Quite right! It is not a Nikon lens. It has a Nikon mount.

Forget about doing portraits with it. Unless you want to be really close and have your portrait next to impossible to recognize.

I have owned the 0.75 Rodenstock as well. This one had an even closer focus distance. This one has a bit more than several inches. 50cm's or about 20inches, I never really measured it but it is close!

I got rid of the 0.75 (45mm) several years ago because I found that was just too close for being really useful.

I had 2 of these. One I sold 4 years ago for 450euros which was in a condition not as nice as this one. Yes I reckon you might find one somewhere cheaper than this. If you can I would certainly go for it. Not many of those are being offered lately.

I am also doubting to let this one go. I do want to make sure the person that does buy this one knows what he is getting into.

DO NOT BUY THIS IF SHARP IS IMPORTANT TO YOU. THIS LENS PRODUCES BLUR ONLY, LOVELY BLUR BUT BLUR NONETHELESS ;)

Last edited: