The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: R 80 Lux

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
SOLD

Leica R 80mm f1.4 (Summilux) - $850 shipped
Serial number: 3201843
Items included: front and rear caps, built-in lens hood

This Leitz lens is the 3-cam version, made in Germany, with the built-in lens good and 67mm filter size. This copy shows moderate signs of use (brassing on the focus ring and aperture ring, and some slight dents in the built-in hood) - see photos below.

I bought this form our very own John Milich as part of a larger package deal. I simply don't use it enought to justify keeping it. It has the buttery smooth Leica look, with the soft glow wide open, and then razor sharp by about f2.8. It's a wonderful portrait lens.

I can include a high quality R-to-EOS adapter for $75 if the buyer wants it.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

robmac

I actually sold said lens to JLM and really hesitated selling it. Must say I am tempted....but then I do have the Hassy 110/2 F.
I hate it when the common sense of things like overlap get in the way of the "I wants". Still....

woodyspedden

I actually sold said lens to JLM and really hesitated selling it. Must say I am tempted....but then I do have the Hassy 110/2 F.
I hate it when the common sense of things like overlap get in the way of the "I wants". Still....
Hey Rob

I probably don't need to tell you that the 80 Lux draws very differently from the Hassy 110. My personal preference is the Hassy but then we all feel differently about how we want to render portraits. JMHO YMMV

Woody

robmac

I hear you - and the Hassy plays well with a Nikon body. Once I got used to the Hassy stop-down slider, I've come to quite like it (the stop-down method). The 'Lux is just one of those lenses that makes an impact.

woodyspedden

I hear you - and the Hassy plays well with a Nikon body. Once I got used to the Hassy stop-down slider, I've come to quite like it (the stop-down method). The 'Lux is just one of those lenses that makes an impact.
Couldn't agree more. Problem is that using that logic is what gets us all to the point of needing to own everything. At one point I had virtually the entire stable of R lenses including the exotics like 15 Elmarit, 35-70 Elmarit, 280 4.0 etc. At the same time I had the full kit of M exotics i.e. all of the lux lenses, and a full complement of Nikon gear. Just for laughs I bought a Canon 5D to use with my old Zeiss/Contax glass e.g. 21 Distagon, 85 1.2 50 Jahre anniversary etc. You see where I am going here. I could find valid reasons for each product and couldn't bring myself to pick just one and live with the compromises. Now you know why I have been spending a large portion of my time on the B&S forum selling stuff!! LOL

Now I am heading into MF which is where I should have been putting my energy in the first place given that I am primarily a landscape shooter. So when my selling and buying days are over I will have an M system with many of the exotics gone; a minimalist D300 system for when I need AF and action capabilities; and the MF system, whatever that ultimately turns out to be for the stuff I really love to shoot and print.

So how is that for a transition? God I am hopeless. Bad as Guy and Kurt

Woody

robmac

As much as hate to say it, am debating parting with the 110/2 F - will be testing it against a 90/2 pre-apo from RobS (thank you) and my best recollection and shots I can find from the 80 lux.

There must be an official medial condition for this affliction....

robmac

Mike - depending on how my hunt for a 90AA works out, I am thinking about getting the Lux back. Always regretted selling it - but would need to pair it with a 100APO in lieu of the 90AA; so we shall see.

PSon

Mike - depending on how my hunt for a 90AA works out, I am thinking about getting the Lux back. Always regretted selling it - but would need to pair it with a 100APO in lieu of the 90AA; so we shall see.
What about the Hassy 110? :)

robmac

:LOL:

I really liked the 110/2. That said, I decided I wanted something sharper in the center at F2.0-2.8 (the 110 needs to go down another stop or two further to hit it's prime) as I am using in stop-down on 1Ds2 and sometimes have to leave at the aperture I'm focusing at to get a quick shot. In short, while excellent at what it was designed to do, it was ill-suited for what I was using it for.

If my budget and new "minimum kit" mantra/code allowed, I would keep it strictly as a 'portrait' lens, for which it is ideal; but that said, I also don't want to have too many lenses sitting idle 1/2 the time -

I've already sliced my cabinet of lenses down significantly over the last year because I'd look at say an $1800+ lens and not recall the last time I shot with it...