The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

4-Sale concern

D

Digital Dude

Has anyone had problems with PayPal account holders purchasing your items, and wishing to have it sent to an alternate address that doesn’t match their "confirmed" PayPal account address? Any risk to the seller, or otherwise?
Regards,:shocked:

robmac

The buyer may be legit, but I'd assume that IF not, PP shouldn't be depended on for recourse should payment get unwound after shipping because it was hinky.

Their natural fall back will be 'you took the risk' (shipping to an unconfirmed). Don't want to look paranoid, but you have to cover you ass, because no one else will.

I'd ask the buyer if s/he wanted to ship to another address to pay via MO, certified, etc., and then ship anywhere they bloody wanted once the funds cleared.

You could also demand a longer time-frame between payment made and shipping to ensure everything cleared and stayed cleared, but the short story is it's an unusual request and the onus should be on the buyer to placate your concerns.

Last edited:

cam

The buyer may be legit, but I'd assume that IF not, PP shouldn't be depended on for recourse should payment get unwound after shipping because it was hinky.

Their natural fall back will be 'you took the risk' (shipping to an unconfirmed). Don't want to look paranoid, but you have to cover you ass, because no one else will.

I'd ask the buyer if s/he wanted to ship to another address to pay via MO, certified, etc., and then ship anywhere they bloody wanted once the funds cleared.

You could also demand a longer time-frame between payment made and shipping to ensure everything cleared and stayed cleared, but the short story is it's an unusual request and the onus should be on the buyer to placate your concerns.
i'm one of those who's Confirmed Address is a P.O. Box (i rented my condo) and currently live out of the country. my PP account is linked to my bank account (rather than a possibly stolen credit card) and am more than happy to let a seller wait until the funds have cleared.

i think for both the buyer and seller, gut instincts should be at work.

As long as the buyer does not claim they did not receive the item you are OK. If they do then I think paypal has rules about this and you may be on your own. If it's a high $ item I'd play it safe and only ship to a verified address, or request a M/O

D

Digital Dude

Thanks to all. I really hate selling high-dollar items like camera gear on eBay. I received questions from nothing but nut-balls and flakes! :shocked:
Regards,

RGoldman

There was a guy in Portland Oregon last week that shipped to a confirmed address and the buyer claimed he never received the item. The seller has a signed receipt for delivery but PayPal will only accept online verification of delivery so they took the money back from the seller. The buyer now gets to keep the item and got his money back. Imagine how screwed up this could get if you sent to an unconfirmed address. Even with online delivery confirmation, they could probably take the money back from you if the buyer claims they didn't receive the item since it's an unconfirmed address.
Be careful!

David K

Workshop Member
PayPal is a risky business in part because they really don't do their job well. If you've ever tried working with their customer service department you'll know what I mean. The best way to use PayPal (and I haven't done it) is to set up a separate bank account for it. That way when the funds come in you can clear the account and not run the risk of them dipping back in and retrieving it because some buyer is scamming you.

robmac

PayPal is a risky business in part because they really don't do their job well. If you've ever tried working with their customer service department you'll know what I mean. The best way to use PayPal (and I haven't done it) is to set up a separate bank account for it. That way when the funds come in you can clear the account and not run the risk of them dipping back in and retrieving it because some buyer is scamming you.
like that idea....

akiralx

like that idea....
Though Paypal will then still refund the buyer and so put your Paypal account into a negative balance - and ultimately pursue you legally through the courts.

That's certainly the case in the UK and I doubt they have a different view in the US.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I just will not sell via paypal without a verified address. I really marvel at the ways paypal can get out of any responsibility. They must have an electronic confirmation of delivery..thats not as good as the signiture card. So the post office gets off because they obviously delivered it but paypal.. we can t be sure. When I buy I get an address and a phone number and look the person up . Not fool proof. my advice don t send it. If he wants it to a different address get a wire transfer.

D

Digital Dude

Thanks to all. My particular issue concerned a papal address in Mexico and a “ship to” address in the US, so you can imagine how reluctant I felt. Oh well, I suppose I’ll just have to use some good old fashion instinct or simply require a cashiers check, wire, etc. Even a fellow member' on a different forum, tried to “game me” yesterday so go figure. ~
Regards,

Last edited:

Greg Seitz

Thanks to all. My particular issue concerned a papal address in Mexico and a “ship to” address in the US, so you can imagine how that felt. I suppose I’ll just have to use good old fashion instinct or require a cashiers check, wire, etc.
Regards,
Daniel,

The only truly safe forms of receiving funds is cash, wire, or usps postal money order.

Cashiers checks and regular money orders can come back to bite you since your bank will gladly accept them and credit your account. It may take 2-3 weeks before the bank discovers they are fraudulent at which point they will debit your account so you need to be careful even with those forms.

Anyone who is willing to provide a cashiers check or money order should be willing to send you a usps postal money order if they are legit. The postal money orders are safe because they are registered in the usps system and you take them down to your post office to collect your cash. If they cash them then they were legit at which point you send your item to the buyer.

Greg

charlesphoto

I recently was selling a bicycle on Craigslist and had an offer of a cashiers check and that the sender would have his "shipper" come by and pick up the bike. I said fine but only if it's cash, verified paypal or usps money order. Never heard back of course. So definitely don't do cashier's check or money order. I also refused once to sell an M6 to a person who wanted it drop shipped to a different address from her paypal address etc etc. She was persistent, and more than likely honest, but I just wouldn't do it.

I think ebay is great as you reach millions of potential buyers and I've bought and sold hundreds of items. Just use common sense. Feedback history is there for a reason. "Too good to be true" is generally that. Buy items that only have good photos - and your selling power is greatly increased if you use good photos of your item. Make your terms obvious and visible. Describe the item in detail. I was currently in the market for a road bicycle and it amazes me how many people on Craigslist trying to sell expensive bikes and they don't bother to list the size. Real basic stuff. And don't be desperate (to sell or buy). There's always more buyers or items down the road and it's desperation that scammers prey on.

Good luck!

Rafael Macia

Registered mail. Return receipt requested is probably the safest way to send things. Securities and diamonds are shipped this way. You need to seal the item with PAPER sealing tape, so the box edges can be stamped up by the clerk.
.Plastic tape is not for registered.

Registered is the only form of shipment under lock and key. The buyer has to photo id themselves risk arrest. etc etc

Forget insurance overseas with Registered. ...... The buyer should formally release you from claims, IN ADVANCE, by email, should the package be lost. They should say they are aware, as a shipper you are at risk.

(CYA .... cover your a ....)

Paypal is good and convenient, but acts as a shield for scammers.

I ask for a telephone call,and when they call, a call back #,
Assume you are about to get ripped off.
or
learn by experience ....

good luck!