The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD Nikon SoolScan 8000 scanner

mjm6

Folks,

I have a Nikon CoolScan 8000 scanner for sale. Here's a few photos:

This is the scanner just before the NOW DISCONTINUED 9000 model. It has very similar specs, but basically it will scan at 4000 spi (samples per inch) over a 6x9 negative, and anything smaller.

Many people consider it the nearest scanner quality to a drum scan that you could get out of a desktop device (in general it is better than all but the highest end Imacon scanners).

It's an ideal scanner for 35mm and 120 formats, but won't scan any larger than 6x9 so it's no good for 6x12 or 6x17 without stitching.

Included is the 35mm strip carrier, 35mm slide (mounted) carrier, 120 strip carrier, and 120 GLASS carrier (FH-869G). The glass holder was an expensive extra that runs $300 these days, and is one of the primary reasons this scanner is capable of such great scans!

I don't have the box or manual, but the software and manual are available for download from Nikon, and I have a CD that has them on it. Note that this scanner will not work with the Nikon Scan software in OS 10.6 because Nikon did not update the drivers. It WILL, however, work with Viewscan, so not all is lost if you are a current OS Mac person.

Since the discontinuation of the Nikon scanners, the prices have jumped considerably, because when these excellent scanners are gone, they're gone for good, and I don't expect any company will ever make a scanner this good at these prices.

This scanner has had very little use (I actually had and used a drum scanner for most scanning), and there is only a minor mark or two on the front of the cabinet that would indicate any use.

I'm looking for $1500 INCLUDING PP AND SHIPPING in the US.

It is ready to ship, and I will have it double boxed to ensure it will arrive in great shape. Everything's ready to go. I will only ship this in the US, maybe Canada. No other countries (too big, and too costly, unpredictable)

Please PM or email if interested.

---Michael

archiM44

Re: FS Nikon SoolScan 8000 scanner

I have the same scanner which is truly excellent.
The Nikon Scan 4 software works perfectly under OS 10.6 provided the scanner is the only firewire device connected (disconnect external firewire drives)
Silverfast software also works, but of all the software I still prefer Nikon

gallery7

i also use this scanner and it is awesome!

mine is stable with the updated nikon scan 4 and os 10.5

mjm6

archiM44,

I was never able to get it to work properly, so it may be a little bit more system dependent than not having any firewire devices connected, but I never pursued it too much. Thanks for the info on that, so there is hope for those using OS 10.6x.

I have a laptop with 10.5 on it, and it was stable on that machine.

Thanks for the info, folks.

As I am not shooting any film anymore, and I have finished scanning all that I figure is worthwhile, this seems like the right time to let the scanner go, but it really is an excellent scanner, and I would not part with it if I had a use for it at all. All that I have left to scan is large format, which this scanner can't help with.

---Michael

mjm6

I'm going to drop the price to $1400 including S+H and PP in the US. $40 more for Canada shipping.

If no interest at this price, it'll go to Ebay, as much as I'd prefer to not do that.

---Michael