The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Brand New Canon EOS 5d Mark II for sale $850

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farnz

Since this is your first post and an improbably low price for this camera would you kindly provide pictures and evidence of good dealing, say, on another website please?:)

Pete.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay folks technically you are price policing be it too high or too low it is price policing.

As always with any sale buyer be aware. Lets leave it at that

patashnik

Okay folks technically you are price policing be it too high or too low it is price policing.

As always with any sale buyer be aware. Lets leave it at that
That must be the dumbest enforcement of the almighty rules I've ever seen.

From the admin here . Maybe it's time you get real cozy with the rules. Guy

Here are the rules specific to this forum as copied directly from the site rules section, but separated for clarity. Note that if your post does not adhere to these rules, it will be deleted without explanation!:

*** First, understand GetDPI.com offers this as a free service for our members and makes no warranties or implications regarding the veracity of the posters or items listed for sale, as such USE OF THIS FORUM IS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

** Buy & Sell or FS and WTB. If you have camera gear to sell, go ahead and list it in the B&S forum. Basically any equipment related to imaging can be listed, including things like lighting and computers. However, we don't want the area cluttered up with spam posts for items like cell phones or old DVD's, so if it's an item or service NOT directly related to photography or imaging, please don't list it here.

** Price: If you are trying to sell an item, you should know what you want for it, so please no listings without stating an asking price. If you fail to list a price, your post may be deleted without comment.

** Price Monitoring: If you're not the seller and think the price is wrong -- either too high or too low -- tell them via PM, not in public on the thread as it is poor etiquette.

** Ebay & other sites: Posts that only point to other sale or auction sites are NOT appreciated. However, if your listed item has not sold here after 48 hours, then it is okay to add a note you've moved the the item to the 3rd party site. If you link prior to the 48 hour limit, your post may be deleted without comment.

** Photos of the items for sale: Photos of your gear are of course fine to include and in most cases will help the item sell more quickly.

** Commercial posts of any type are not allowed in this forum, use the commercial vendor section instead.

Terry

And if the rules weren't followed then there would be posts about arbitrary enforcement of rules.

The seller lists a price
The ad does not link to another site
Seller has chosen no pictures (none required)
It doesn't appear to be a commercial post

Buyer needs to use judgement if price doesn't seem right or posting selling history is non-existent or sketchy.

Millsart

Rules are all well and good, but at the same time, there is sometimes a time and place for bending them a bit.

I know we all would hate to see a newer or naive photographer (or any photographer for that matter) scammed on a too good to be true type deal. With experience most of us can know when things just don't add up such as a price thats 2/3rds what the average used body goes, zero posting history, a free email account etc but is it really such bad form to point those things out ?

One great thing I've found about this site is that there is a great sense of community. I've had things listed for sale, and even though other forum members were trying to sell the exact same thing, they were still nice enough to leave a comment that they've dealt with me before and it was a smooth experience or that I've got a great price. You don't find stuff like that happening most places on the internet.

Again, rules are all well and good, and 99% of the time they are fair and should be followed, but when a Nigerian prince is trying to sell a bridge in Brooklyn for a too good to be true price, perhaps its for the greater good to suggest buyers use some due caution ?

I mean what makes a good and safe B&S forum at the end of the day ? A collection of iron fisted rules or is it forum members all trying to provide one another a safe place to buy and sell items ? People make the difference and thats what I think keeps those who wish to try to perpetrate scams from usually targeting sites like this.

So thats just my $0.02 on the matter, all in a world where few would bother to pick up a penny.

Guy Mancuso

I certainly will not disagree and honestly we got 5 reports on this immediately no question about it and we respect each member that sent those in as certainly a cause for pause. We also know very very well that members look out for each other on a daily basis and that is what makes this forum great no question about it otherwise i would turn the lights out. Not only are Jack and I owners we are also forum members as well and participate very heavily on the forum and we both want a nice home here. On the same token we are all pretty smart folks as well and can see if some things don't smell right. As owners we watch everything ( or try too) along with our amazing moderators. But we have put rules in for very basic reasons to control the forum as it should be run at least to what we think it should be.

Now at the same time there are backend actions taken place on our end to insure a healthy environment here as well . I would rather not get into that but lets just say we protect our members in many ways.

As always when issues come into play here I always remember our mantra or our dance song as some would call it.

"A place to exchange ideas, techniques, experiences AND images,
where the discussions are fun, respectful and geared toward the goal of
helping each other improve all aspects of our photography."

kdphotography

....Now at the same time there are backend actions taken place on our end to insure a healthy environment here as well . I would rather not get into that but lets just say we protect our members in many ways.

Translation: Don't worry about the 6'6" giant in Los Gatos; it's the short stocky italian that you don't wanna get angry....:ROTFL:

(and bizarro don and ken got your back, guy!) :D

Farnz

Since I posted the first reply I'll explain why I posted it. This was not intended as price policing. Unfortunately the OP hasn't offered enough detail for me to consider purchasing and it's likely that other members will feel the same way so photos of the goods and a sound history would benefit her by increasing her sale prospects.

I used the term "improbably low price" in case the OP had meant to type "$1850" (we've all typoed haven't we?) and to alert her so she could put it right. And, let's face it, the price is improbably low when even B&H sells the same camera new for nearly 4 times this price. We're not talking about subjectively valued used goods here we're talking about brand new, latest version goods so retail comparisons are valid.

Pete.:)

AGeoJO

If someone would be naive enough to fall for this then not much we can do about it.... However, I seriously doubt that any member here would.

Guy Mancuso

Since I posted the first reply I'll explain why I posted it. This was not intended as price policing. Unfortunately the OP hasn't offered enough detail for me to consider purchasing and it's likely that other members will feel the same way so photos of the goods and a sound history would benefit her by increasing her sale prospects.

I used the term "improbably low price" in case the OP had meant to type "$1850" (we've all typoed haven't we?) and to alert her so she could put it right. And, let's face it, the price is improbably low when even B&H sells the same camera new for nearly 4 times this price. We're not talking about subjectively valued used goods here we're talking about brand new, latest version goods so retail comparisons are valid.

Pete.:)
Pete you bring up a excellent point and we do say this in the rules to help. But for sellers they really should be aware of posting I have this for sale at this price stuff. People want to see details and descriptions or links to the product and /or photos of the product itself. The more detail you can give to your ad and images of it the more credibility you have selling it , really just that simple ESPECIALLY if you are a brand new member, you certainly want to look legitimate . Us old dogs like me do not have to put images up as much as we are more trusted and maybe our gear is so new that it becomes pointless. That part i understand very well but as a new member coming on board best advice i can you as part owner of this site. Put more than 10 words in your ad.

ElvisKennedy

To the OP: If you can prove to me that this is a legitimate piece of equipment, honestly acquired, which I can inspect and pick up personally (save shipping costs!) - I'll take it!

To everyone else: If the above happens I'll re-list the brand new camera for sale here at a very fair price of $1999.00. That's a savings of $500.00!

There, that should make everyone happy.

sidmuer

To the OP: If you can prove to me that this is a legitimate piece of equipment, honestly acquired, which I can inspect and pick up personally (save shipping costs!) - I'll take it!

To everyone else: If the above happens I'll re-list the brand new camera for sale here at a very fair price of $1999.00. That's a savings of $500.00!

There, that should make everyone happy.
maybe with the profit you can actually buy good equipment.
ie: something that can focus.
lol.
(flame suit, on. )

BlasR

Hi, I don't like to buy to much, but I like to get this camera. Its anyway you can send this to me, in one week after i see if i want it, I can pay you? Maybe I can sale it on ebay, make some extra in get another..

if its ok, please let me know.

Thank You

BlasR

MoJo

Registred Users
It is obviously a tough call, but i found that Guy and Terry were more than kind and fair with my own postings of gear to sell, i trust their judgment. I have been selling things occasionally on Ebay since 2002, and I think that if something is too good to be true.... it always is.... Most folks here know that of course....
-Josef

Status
Not open for further replies.