The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Leica 21mm Elmarit-M, Hood, 6-Bit

John Black

Leica 21mm F2.8 Elmarit-M Pre-ASPH
Includes Leica Hood, Caps & Case; Factory Coded
$1800 Shipped & Paypal'd in the US; Trades - I would consider trading it towards a 75 Lux or 75 APO.

The external finder style of shooting is not really for me, and have decided to use the dSLR for ultra wides. The 21mm Elmarit is in excellent condition and performs very well on my M9's. Focus is smooth, the aperture ring clicks cleanly from stop-to-stop. There are no marks or scratches on the glass or coatings. Focus is accurate on both my M9's. There is some very mint paint where along the edges. I did not notice it until looking at the 100% crops with the 100mm macro. The little white speckles in the focus ring are dust from the lens cloth.

The original adhesive on the hood failed and the previous owner tried to re-glue it. His handy work was so-so and didn't last. I used a couple dabs of epoxy and all is well again. The hood did NOT break or crack, just however Leica "bonded" the hood to ring failed (the two pieces slide together). The seller did not disclose this detail to me, so I was a bit irked... This is the original lens hood for the 21mm Elmarit, it's #12543. Leica did not make a cap for this lens hood.

The lens is a good performer with very good center sharpness at F2.8. For solid corner sharpness, expect to shoot F8 or F11. The lens does do a very good job of holding the highlights and not clipping.

Some pix from a couple weeks ago -

Last edited: