The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Jupiter Lenses - ADJUSTED FOR M8/M9 by Brian Sweeney!

rchisholm

OK, very cool/rare/hard to find:

Jupiter 50mm lenses that have been adjusted/shimmed to focus on digital rangefinder cameras (M8/M9).

As some folks are aware, Brian Sweeney at rangefinderforum is the man when it comes to shimming/CLA'ing the Jupiter 50mm lens, as neither the J8 nor J3 focus correctly on the M8/M9 due to design differences in the Russian vs German rangefinders. However, once adjusted properly, they are stellar yet inexpensive 50s!

I have two for sale, both are spot-on focusing wide open on my (now sold) M9:

J-8, 50mm f2, black version : $125 incudes shipping in US.
J-3, 50mm f1.5 SONAR (just like the new Zeiss lenses): $325, includes shipping in US.

Pics to follow, email me. Both lenses are OLD, used, and work freaking incredibly well! I have pics from both on my flickr site and did an article about them on Steve Huff's site. --Rob

rchisholm

The J-3 is the older silver version. BOTH lenses are super small, super light and FUN on the M9. Oh, and the article on Steve Huff site has a picture of both.

Brian S

That's kind of scary to read.

I relubed both lenses, and set them for optimal use close-up and wide-open. Probably best to stop down to F2.8 for infinity. The Sonnar focus shift is towards infinity, so stopping down a little shifts the focus back. Wide-open out to 10m~20m is no problem.

jpmac55

The J-3 arrived right on time and just as advertised. Quite the lens, especially for the price.

Does anyone know where to find a lens cap for it?

Owen_Coors

Are you wanting the original push-on cap or something else? The filter thread size is 40.5mm and B&H, Adorama, Sammy's, etc. sell metal screw on caps in this size. That's what I use on my 1952 copy. Got mine from either B&H or Adorama:

I also have the original push-on cap, that came with my Jupiter-3, which I'll probably never use again. If that's what you're looking for, let me know.

SYGTAFOTO

Ok,

I've paid for the J-8 on April 12th.
After a couple of PM's, Rob replied back that the lens was sent several days ago (this was the reply and the date was around 2 weeks ago).
No lens has yet been received, PM'd him a couple of times requesting shipping/tracking info. Checked "PM Sent" box, and it indicates that Rob has read my PM's, and no replies.
I'm hoping that the lens got held up at customs, but without any shipping info, I have no way of verifying the package location or whether it was sent..

Lewis44

I'm hoping that the lens got held up at customs
Scott,
I don't know anything about your transaction.
However, I have shipped to Canada a few times and quit doing it because it seems to take forever to get to where it is going. Usually stuck in customs.
I sweat bullets a few times wondering what happened.
had the tracking numbers, but it did not help much.
On the other hand, stuff seems to get to the USA without much delay.
Go Figure.

S

sp1200

It's best to ship to Canada using USPS. Only when things are sent via courier (FedEx, UPS etc.) have I ran into delays, brokerage fees and generally extra charges and hassles.

jpmac55

Scott,

I don't know Rob but he responded to my emails, etc.. The J-3 lens arrived on time and as advertised. I am sure this will get straightened out.

SYGTAFOTO

Well, I hope so. I pm'd him at least twice asking for shipping/tracking info. He read the pm's, but no replies. I've pm'd him again asking for info. Will update status here. I'm just hoping that the package is held up at the border.

zombii

US - Canada shipping can be slow in either direction. I think USPS is best also but it really takes EMS to make a big difference.

SYGTAFOTO

I've received a couple of PM's from people who dealt with Rob and it sounds like he's a busy person and communication had not been great with them either. However, they also indicated that they received their items in time.

I will give Rob the benefit of doubt and assume that the package is held up at customs, but with my vacation coming, I am hoping to receive the lens before the end of the week. However, if I do not receive any word from Rob or do not receive the lens by the end of the week (it would be close to 4 weeks since my payment), I will have to think about my options. I will update here at the end of the week.

SYGTAFOTO

Jupiter-8 never arrived, paid 5 weeks ago.
I will give benefit of doubt that the lens was shipped based on people who dealt with Rob.

But for my transaction,
No proof of shipping, poor communication, label me as a scammer, refund received.
If the lens somehow shows up at my door in the future, I will pay for it then.