The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Profoto Acute 2 1200 Pack & two heads

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Selling my Profoto gear out. This sale is an Acute 2 1200 watt second pack in good condition with two Acute 2 heads with Zoom reflectors.

Complete info on this combo here with pictures if you need to read more:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/195028-REG/Profoto_501_013_Acute_2_1200.html

I'd like to get $2,200 by direct bank deposit for this kit including shipping & insurance to the USA. Foreign buyers will need to cover shipping and insurance in addition.

fotografz

Still available, though I have no idea why. Price drop to $2,100.
This forum seems to be populated by a bunch of tree huggers Chuck ;) ... studio lights scare them ... I'm almost giving away some basic Profoto starter stuff and not one inquiry :banghead:

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
This forum seems to be populated by a bunch of tree huggers Chuck ;) ... studio lights scare them ... I'm almost giving away some basic Profoto starter stuff and not one inquiry :banghead:
Sure looks like it :wtf: I can't believe none of them are interested in the best strobe gear made, both yours or mine! I guess light quality isn't all that important anyway in getting a quality image, eh? :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

LJL

Chuck and Marc,
You guys may be sorta right. I do think studio lighting is something that some think about and others (few) actually get into it, use it, understand the value, and maybe even have a stream of business that uses it. What surprises me is how many folks talk about wedding shoots, but not about the importance of studio lighting for the formals or other shots.

Anyway, I was nearly jumping of both of your offerings, but I still need to think about what I am going to do with all my present stuff. Add to that, the pending blackhole of charges one could incur looking at some of the other toys to replace or move toward.

The Profoto stuff both of you are offering is great equipment for sure, and I too am surprised that tall the Acue stuff is still out there, and Marc's Acute sets are not gone. For those wanting to dip into studio lighting, these are great gear that will continue to be compatible for some time to come.

Sorry I am not dropping a "buy" signal for these, but if I could sell off all the DynaLites, I would be doing the Profotos for sure. Problem is that to replace what I have now would require a few more pieces, and I really do not want to run any more mixed stuff. Doing it now and it is a pain for sure.

LJ

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
LJ, the Dynalites are also great strobes, I've owned several myself in days past. No, they are not Profoto, but do still have an excellent light quality in my own experience, if a bit underpowered. What continues to amaze me is that people will spend many dollars experimenting with junk lights just because they are cheap, and eventually end up buying good lighting eventually anyway. Why they refuse to just save up, and buy something that will not only work as you need it to, but also hold their value and keep on working year after year is beyond me. You can really dump a ton of bucks into lighting, only to find out that in the end, it is far less expensive to just bite the bullet and buy the best to begin with. No, Profoto, Elinchrome, and Broncolor are not cheap in the initial investment, but all three of these do sure even out over time given their much longer expected life. Anyone wonder why we pro's shoot the expensive lighting should do the math. Cheap lights = frequent replacement, and much frustration getting the perfect shot. Good lights = good images, and the time & frustration saved alone is more than worth the entry cost to me.

David K

Workshop Member
Those of us who have been using MF for a while know how important lighting is to get the most out of these backs. There's a bunch of MF newbies who will shortly realize that their backs scream for good lighting and can do wonderful things if it's provided.

LJL

LJ, the Dynalites are also great strobes, I've owned several myself in days past. No, they are not Profoto, but do still have an excellent light quality in my own experience, if a bit underpowered. What continues to amaze me is that people will spend many dollars experimenting with junk lights just because they are cheap, and eventually end up buying good lighting eventually anyway. Why they refuse to just save up, and buy something that will not only work as you need it to, but also hold their value and keep on working year after year is beyond me. You can really dump a ton of bucks into lighting, only to find out that in the end, it is far less expensive to just bite the bullet and buy the best to begin with. No, Profoto, Elinchrome, and Broncolor are not cheap in the initial investment, but all three of these do sure even out over time given their much longer expected life. Anyone wonder why we pro's shoot the expensive lighting should do the math. Cheap lights = frequent replacement, and much frustration getting the perfect shot. Good lights = good images, and the time & frustration saved alone is more than worth the entry cost to me.
Chuck,
Agree with your comments. The Profotos, Elinchroms, Hensels, and Brons are all proven performers, especially if getting a lot of heavy use. The DynaLites were an interesting choice for me. As you comment, they deliver very consistent output and light quality is quite good. I liked them for their overall portability, and at the time, the others were not fielding reasonable portable stuff. (The DynaLites are AC packheads, but they work nicely with the 1100XP battery unit, and my Honda generators when needed.) Only downside is they are not quite as rugged overall. As for output, that has not been an issue so far, but then I am not shooting big so much yet. That is where the others have more to offer on the power side, and where folks shooting MF could really avail themselves of great light output.

If I may ask, why are you shedding the Profotos? Upgrading? Switching to Brons or something even bigger? Just wondering.

LJ

P.S. I was going to jump on that D4 you had, but am still wrestling with that plus the Pro 7B2 considerations. Marc almost has me convinced that the D4 and a good extension cord is the better way to go.....and cheaper, and I am thinking that also.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I'm not doing much studio work these days, so sitting around with all the strobes I have is a complete waste of tied up cash. I closed up my studio, and am only doing field work now. So what do I need all this lighting for today? Nothing!

I use Elinchrome Ranger RX packs and heads for my portable lighting needs. And frankly, like it a whole lot better than the Profoto portable stuff. Less expensive, and a whole lot lighter to tote around! So in my opinion, you should jump on my D4 setup also!

David K

Workshop Member
Jim,
Chuck is living in a "dead zone" these days in terms of internet connection and cell phone. Give him some time and I'm sure he'll be back to you.