The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS Hasselblad H3DII-39

woodyspedden

For sale is an essentially brand new H3DII-39. I bought this wonderful system just one month ago and have done only indoor product shots so far. I would guess there may be 300 shutter clicks.

So why am I selling this? Well as a hobbyist I have simply spent more money than I can afford (given I get no sales as a result). I love the camera, its ergonomics, quality of files and of course the very fine AF HC lenses. With the included V to H adapter you are able to use all Hasselblad V lenses as well.

I am going to go back to the new CFV II back which i can shoot with the 503, my older 501 and my (now being modified) 203FE. At $12,995 this is more in line with what my hobbyist use dictates. I will of course be keeping all of my V lenses for this system

What is for sale is as follows:

The H3DII-39 Package $42995

80 MM 2.8 standard lens Included in H3 Package

The magnificent new 28MM digital lens $4115

V to HC Adapter $1024

H system wrist support strap $41

Flash module for Metz 54 $176

Total list price for all above $48,432

My price to you for all above $38832

As you can see, this is a 20% discount from list for a one month old gem. I have not sent in any warranty papers so you can do that for yourself.

This is a deal you will not likely see again. Plus, my understanding is that if you want the new 50Mpx you can do a straight trade for the difference in list price between the 39Mpx back and the 50 Mpx back.

Let's hear from you folks. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get a truly top of the line system from Hasselblad.

Woody

PS If you want photos I will create them and send to you but just go to Hasselbladusa.com and the product photos you see there are identical to the condition of this also new camera.

Wow Woody, it sounds like you found the bottom of that slippery slope and came to the realization that the system is way overkill for a hobbyist's needs (notice I didn't say desires). It is easy to get sucked into the ever growing reach for better and better image quality and resolution only to realize after the fact that one went too far down the path for their intended purpose. Good luck with your sale.

David K

Workshop Member
It's pretty clear to me what happened with Woody. He violated the cardinal rule of MFDB owners and, no, it's not buying without doing your homework or anything obvious like that. You NEVER, and I mean NEVER, add up what you have invested in these systems. If you find yourself doing that.. stop immediately and read some lens or other gear reviews to put you in a better frame of mind. Think about how much more flexible your kit would be with a tilt shift lens, or some extension tubes, or some new lighting. If that doesn't work open a bottle of wine, have a few glasses, and try it again :)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Woody,

Forgive my inquiry...is this the MS or single H3DII 39 camera?

Thanks,

Bob Moore

woodyspedden

Woody,

Forgive my inquiry...is this the MS or single H3DII 39 camera?

Thanks,

Bob Moore
Doc

I made a real mistake here. I used B&H to get list prices and ended up mistakenly using the MS price. The correct list price for standard H3DII-39 is $34,995.

I don't know how to correct a listing once posted but let me say to all that the price will be reduced to reflect the non-MS back and the discount will remain at 20%

Sorry for the confusion and my mistakes.

Woody

woodyspedden

O.K folks.

After correcting for my error regarding the MS back price mistake, the total price after discount for this system is $30,832, not $38,832.

Too much adrenaline flowing over this whole experience. Maybe I am just overreacting to the current economy and the fact that this is a hobby, not a way of life. In any event, 20% off is still a wonderful deal so hopefully, if anyone is interested in this system, jump on it. Otherwise the sage David K may end up being right and i will still own the system but with a new TS capability LOL

Thanks for understanding the human error

Woody

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Woody,

No apologies necessary! This is indeed a very emotional issue...I have had multiple second thoughts after changing from my P20 on Hassy H2 for the H3D II 39. Mine was the result of trading off and selling over 30 years accumulation of equipment. I do love the new files but have to say that fatboy pixels may still reign supreme.

I only pointed out the question as I felt that you would lose potential interest if there were indeed a mistake in the valuation of the equipment. I do wish you the best for the sale will keep a close eye on it as I may weaken and put mine up after yours closes. I will probably move back to a larger Hasselblad scanner and start staining the sink again with silver.

Best regards,

Bob

fotografz

Oh Woody, I feel a touch of remorse for advising you when you asked. Had I known more of your current state of mind I would have advised otherwise.

Best to you on your sale.

Bob, that tinge of nostalgia has bitten me also. I already secured an Imacon 949 some time ago, and return to film from time-to-time. In all my dealings with Hasselblad H gear, I ended up with bits and pieces left over ... so I recently got a H2F body ... and had so much fun with it recently I was giddy. I shipped the rolls off to a lab and probably won't see them for a couple of weeks. Refreshing.

woodyspedden

Oh Woody, I feel a touch of remorse for advising you when you asked. Had I known more of your current state of mind I would have advised otherwise.

Best to you on your sale.

Bob, that tinge of nostalgia has bitten me also. I already secured an Imacon 949 some time ago, and return to film from time-to-time. In all my dealings with Hasselblad H gear, I ended up with bits and pieces left over ... so I recently got a H2F body ... and had so much fun with it recently I was giddy. I shipped the rolls off to a lab and probably won't see them for a couple of weeks. Refreshing.
Marc

You owe no apologies as my decision to buy the Hassy system was purely my own. I did not rely on anyone else"s position except to compare the Hassy to Phase, Leaf et al. In the end I will probably withdraw the offer to sell as I love the Hassy system I have and will continue to love and use. I think my whole issue was determining the use of such an expensive system for simply a hobby instead of a business venture and thus having such an expensive system committed to a fun thing. But I also love me and having this for my own pleasure is O.K.

Thankss for all the comments and your insights. I will keep the system and worry about the consequences later.

Much appreciated

Woody

fotografz

Marc

You owe no apologies as my decision to buy the Hassy system was purely my own. I did not rely on anyone else"s position except to compare the Hassy to Phase, Leaf et al. In the end I will probably withdraw the offer to sell as I love the Hassy system I have and will continue to love and use. I think my whole issue was determining the use of such an expensive system for simply a hobby instead of a business venture and thus having such an expensive system committed to a fun thing. But I also love me and having this for my own pleasure is O.K.

Thankss for all the comments and your insights. I will keep the system and worry about the consequences later.

Much appreciated

Woody
Woody, did you ever think to sell some photography? A hobby can often become a second career ... perhaps one you would love as much as the first ... and maybe even more. ;) And what's most interesting is that it infuses both you and the gear with purpose.

I'd be delighted to share some thoughts on that subject.

V

Vivek

Exactly what Marc said above! You could divert your attention just a bit elsewhere as well. :)

fotografz

Exactly what Marc said above! You could divert your attention just a bit elsewhere as well. :)
Right on :thumbup:

There are other ways to infuse purpose also. Maybe start by volunteering photo services to those in need.

I have done many photos that I donated to charity auctions, and shot a few weddings for couples that could never have paid my fee (not that I'm recommending shooting weddings, mind you). One of the most important things I've done was to record designated landmarks for our local Historical Society ... which I had to do with a my high meg H3D/39.

For paying jobs I've done environmental location portraits using the big meg cameras ... one was for couple who were died-in-the-wool Tiger Baseball fans ... a W/A shot of them in front of Commerica Park showing the whole stadium behind them ... which they had printed 6' wide for their family room ... LOL! No 35 mm or even the CFV would have delivered those results.

Some paying gigs can be quite odd. Last year I spent the whole year recording a landmark cemetery through the change of seasons. I could come and go when I wanted and it wasn't as creepy as one would think ... the place was beautiful. That one job alone almost paid for the H3D/31 ... and as wierd as it may seem, I still go there to shoot ... they have the largest display of tulips in our area including many very rare ones.

Sorry, I'm rambling ... but I just LOVE doing this stuff :)

woodyspedden

Right on :thumbup:

There are other ways to infuse purpose also. Maybe start by volunteering photo services to those in need.

I have done many photos that I donated to charity auctions, and shot a few weddings for couples that could never have paid my fee (not that I'm recommending shooting weddings, mind you). One of the most important things I've done was to record designated landmarks for our local Historical Society ... which I had to do with a my high meg H3D/39.

For paying jobs I've done environmental location portraits using the big meg cameras ... one was for couple who were died-in-the-wool Tiger Baseball fans ... a W/A shot of them in front of Commerica Park showing the whole stadium behind them ... which they had printed 6' wide for their family room ... LOL! No 35 mm or even the CFV would have delivered those results.

Some paying gigs can be quite odd. Last year I spent the whole year recording a landmark cemetery through the change of seasons. I could come and go when I wanted and it wasn't as creepy as one would think ... the place was beautiful. That one job alone almost paid for the H3D/31 ... and as wierd as it may seem, I still go there to shoot ... they have the largest display of tulips in our area including many very rare ones.

Sorry, I'm rambling ... but I just LOVE doing this stuff :)
Guys

These are wonderful thoughts. Even if there is not SERIOUS income from the endeavor at least it allows me to depreciate my investment in cameras which is very significant at these levels.

I will truly give this serious thought. I need some additional outlets for my energy anyway so this may be the ticket.

Thanks for caring guys. It means a great deal to me

Best

Woody

I know it is a huge investment for a camera system, but so is a nice boat, sports car, or just about any other toy which gives one pleasure and rewards their years of hard work. If you can afford to keep it, then there is no reason to feel guilty about it. If I could have afforded it, I would have bought it from you before you had a chance to change your mind. I am a hobbyist just like you, but photography gives me pleasure much like boating gives someone else pleasure - nothing wrong with that.

Mark

David K

Workshop Member
Woody,
I believe you have gotten some sound advice here. For much the same reasons I am trying to do the same thing here in Florida. I just got back from a meeting with the owner of a local dance/acting studio (pretty good size... around 650 kids/students) to explore the possibility of expanding his operation to include some modeling and photography workshops which I would oversee. I'd be happy to share my thoughts with you off line for whatever they may be worth. Even if this gets off the ground I doubt it will put my kids thru college but it would provide a focal point around which to pursue my passion for photography.

robmac

Woody,

Some nice advice here. Unlike many, you have the advantage (being retired IIRC), that you as much as you don't 'need' the 39 as a hobbyist, you could afford to buy it and it doesn't have to pay the bills and keep food on the table.

You just need the 39 (or any gear) to bring in enough to allow you to legally depreciate it and have your hobby (even partially) fund itself. Anything else, if you even want to push for more, is gravy. With digital and the advent of web commerce, the ability to illustrate your work to a large audience and maybe derive a modest income stream accordingly is unparalleled.

Little harm in hitting the 'hold' button on the sale and avoiding gelling the loss while you explore other options first.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Woody, here's another side of the same "you should keep it" coin...

You already paid for it and regardless of whether or not you monetize it, it wasn't a purchase that's going to negatively affect your lifestyle :))). I submit that since you are already willing to take a 20% hit on a $40K investment, why not wait another year to decide when at worst case you may only take a slightly larger hit? (Heck, it may do better than a stock portfolio!) At least you'd have had the opportunity to use and enjoy a wonderful piece of gear.

My .02,

woodyspedden

Thanks to Mark, Marc, Jack, David and all the others who have offered sage advice.

I am withdrawing the system from sale. Jack, if you would do the honors, please delete this thread.

You are right of course about just getting over the fact that I own a new "toy" which is quite expensive and the very practical side of me got out of hand. I deserve to treat myself to such a fine piece of photographic excellence and thus I will keep it.

Now the next thing is to properly use it and by properly I mean to some purpose! I am already doing pro bono work for my daughter shooting her hand dyed yarn in her new business. (www.shivayanaturals.com) She should have the site up with over 500 different yarns photographed in about two weeks. I am anxiously awaiting the lighting workshop in Miami as I am really a novice for this kind of photography. I also need some additional equipment (see Marc Williams setup) to get product shots done right.

Next I want to explore what other kind of work I can do to help others. I love the ideas already put forward by David K and Fotografz and will spend time with them personally to get ideas on how i can participate. I live in a town with a 60,000 person university (Colorado State) and surely they have many needs I could help fulfill.

So i have gone from being a bit depressed about spending so much money on a hobby to a potential life style change! How's that for a couple of days of gaining insight from all the really smart people who populate this forum.

Again many thanks to all. I 'll keep you posted as I progress from a lazy old man to a vital person once again.

Woody