The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS Hasselblad H3DII-39

jonoslack

Congratulations Woody
If you like it, and you can afford it, then you should have it.
I'm also a hobbyist (hate that word). But I do a little paid work, just enough to convince the tax man that the equipment is tax deductable (and what a difference that makes). It also adds a little discipline, and, for me, teaches how much I wouldn't like to do it full time!

I've eschewed the MF bit. Mr Gadget in me would dearly love a HD39, but Mr Sensible understands that Mr Photographer wouldn't take better pictures with it! (even though Mrs Slack is very understanding).

Having read this thread I'm feeling better about collecting my D700 next week!

Now you've been through this experience you can really enjoy it.

S

S.P.

I´m not sure if you can stand the truth but I want to tell you my point of view.

You started with your hobby photography with a lot of fun but then you met a some people who are just talking about equipment all day and night long.

At first it has to be LEICA then NIKON, then adapting ZEISS-lenses to CANON.
In the end the only piece of equipment which is better in a technical way was a digital medium format back.

Now you had it all and you see that spending 10.000 of $s is not giving you more creativity.

I think the best would be going back to the roots, selling all this crazy stuff and buying a good consumer camera with two lenses.

I recommend 35mm and 85mm and a small fullframe camera (5D or D700).

With this equipment you can take 90% of all pictures in the world.
This will open your eyes.
Watch the natural light and take a picture only if it´s perfect.

Work on your creativity, not on your equipment.

Best, Stefan

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
when we talk about others, we tell about ourselves :)

who I am ?
well, personally I'm with Stefan on this ...

jonoslack

when we talk about others, we tell about ourselves :)

who I am ?
well, personally I'm with Stefan on this ...
Personally I'm with Stefan on this too . . . . and I agree with you Steen. But I don't see that it needs to be true for Woody as well

So, it seems that Stefan and Bondo and Jono are the little camera guys

fotografz

I´m not sure if you can stand the truth but I want to tell you my point of view.

Best, Stefan
I love how a "point-of-view" is the "TRUTH" ... LOL!

Stefan, you are being extravagant ... you don't NEED a 5D or D700 and two lenses to be creative. HCB did it with a rangefinder, slow film and one lens.

IMO, there is a huge difference between "Need" and "Want" ... we only need a piece of fur and a lean-to to keep warm ... and a bite of raw Woolly Mammoth to stay alive. However, we "Want" more ... we want Emeril to cook the Woolly Mammoth and serve it with a nice wine ;)

V

Vivek

Stefan, Do you really use that Olympus Product O that is your avatar?:)

S

S.P.

I love how a "point-of-view" is the "TRUTH" ... LOL!

Stefan, you are being extravagant ... you don't NEED a 5D or D700 and two lenses to be creative. HCB did it with a rangefinder, slow film and one lens.

IMO, there is a huge difference between "Need" and "Want" ... we only need a piece of fur and a lean-to to keep warm ... and a bite of raw Woolly Mammoth to stay alive. However, we "Want" more ... we want Emeril to cook the Woolly Mammoth and serve it with a nice wine ;)
O.k. Only ONE camera and ONE lens (50mm)! ;)

jonoslack

exactly ! - it doesn't :)
which btw. was what I was trying to say :eek:
I expect you did it excellently . . . . . but I'm pretty stupid!

and Marc - I quite agree with you - what you want is what you should have . . . as long as it doesn't conflict with what you can achieve :)

David K

Workshop Member
Stefan, your post reminds me of Jack Nicholson's line in the movie A Few Good Men... "You can't handle the truth..." :) There's no question that there's something to be said for a stripped down kit if focusing on creativity is your goal. However, let's not forget the pleasure that so many of us get from the gear and learning how to use it to best advantage. I recently sold a Leica Noct to a collector in China who has no intention of using it... ever. I took his money, shrugged my shoulders and said "to each his own". I suspect that you may see a gear head like me in much the same light but I really do think there's a difference. The challenge of learning how to use a new camera, and use it well (in my case the Hy6) is very much a part of what I love about photography. Comparing the rendering of different lenses and different MF backs is something I find interesting and fascinating. Using Zeiss lenses on my Canon camera, using Hasselblad lenses on my Nikon and Contax cameras, all of this stuff is simply great fun for a lot of us. I'll wager that in a few months Woody will wonder what he was thinking when he posted his kit for sale. He'll play with the lower resolution, fat boy pixel back and compare it to his 39MP kit, discover the strengths and weaknesses of each, choose the best of the two for the task at hand and pretty soon (after the lighting workshop) he'll be turning out product shots to rival anybody's. As far as the money goes... do what I do, stick your head in the sand and pretend your an ostrich :)

fotografz

Stefan, your post reminds me of Jack Nicholson's line in the movie A Few Good Men... "You can't handle the truth..." :) There's no question that there's something to be said for a stripped down kit if focusing on creativity is your goal. However, let's not forget the pleasure that so many of us get from the gear and learning how to use it to best advantage. I recently sold a Leica Noct to a collector in China who has no intention of using it... ever. I took his money, shrugged my shoulders and said "to each his own". I suspect that you may see a gear head like me in much the same light but I really do think there's a difference. The challenge of learning how to use a new camera, and use it well (in my case the Hy6) is very much a part of what I love about photography. Comparing the rendering of different lenses and different MF backs is something I find interesting and fascinating. Using Zeiss lenses on my Canon camera, using Hasselblad lenses on my Nikon and Contax cameras, all of this stuff is simply great fun for a lot of us. I'll wager that in a few months Woody will wonder what he was thinking when he posted his kit for sale. He'll play with the lower resolution, fat boy pixel back and compare it to his 39MP kit, discover the strengths and weaknesses of each, choose the best of the two for the task at hand and pretty soon (after the lighting workshop) he'll be turning out product shots to rival anybody's. As far as the money goes... do what I do, stick your head in the sand and pretend your an ostrich :)
Exactly. Plus, if one works his or her ass off all their life giving to everyone around them selflessly (read: 2 kids through expensive schools as my example), what sweat is it off someone else's rump if Woody or anyone else rewards themselves with something THEY want for a change?

My response to the "little type face" folks:

Personally, I've never equated creativity with price or amount of gear. On the other hand, the implication that better gear stiffles creativity is also nonsense.

In fact, per David's post, stuff that intrigues you and spurs you on to master it is part of the fun and motivation. My buddy had the best retort to this kind of thing when this middle class, midwestern lad was agonizing over buying some expensive gear ... "it's what we do."

I just ordered 10K worth of lighting. I guess I could've bought a Maglite and used more creativity ... but I'm just lazy I guess. :ROTFL:

woodyspedden

Wow guys. It is now this thread that is becoming fun.

We should get a psychiatrist to review all these points of view and comment on what it all means.

On a serious note I have learned much, both from you guys and through looking into my own mind and heart as to what is important.......FOR ME! And SP I can handle the truth or a point of view, whichever is intended and real. I think it would be very helpful to take out my M3 and one or two lenses for a month and see what "lights me up" as a result. I suspect it will be a really fun exercise that gets me back to images instead of gear.

However, having said that, I also concur with David K about the fun of seeing what new gear, with exotic capabilities does for your work. Again, remember that I am a hobbyist fundamentally so having fun with all of this is not beside the point, it is the point!

I think that in the end I had gotten so consumed with the gear that it was getting in the way of my work. So my short term exercise is going to be the H3DII-39, with the little 100 2.2 lens and see what images emerge. This is just as valid as taking the GRD II or the M3 and 50 lux pre-asph but the images "seen" when using the various instruments may well be different. We'll see.

Again I think this has turned into a very fun thread with lots of valid perspectives about image making, and lots of very smart folks speaking their minds.

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am withdrawing the system from sale. Jack, if you would do the honors, please delete this thread.
Delete it? Heck, I'm considering making it a permanent sticky!

We'll retitle it to "Important: Read this thread before listing a beloved piece of equipment here!"

:D,

woodyspedden

Delete it? Heck, I'm considering making it a permanent sticky!

We'll retitle it to "Important: Read this thread before listing a beloved piece of equipment here!"

:D,
It's your forum mate. If you think that would be helpful to a future generation of expensive gear hounds, then go for it.

Woody

PeterA

WOW - I go away for some business for a few days and come back to a thread like this!...I am so glad Jack put his point of view to you - you have just avoided a seriously bad case of WHIPLASH my friend.

Other's advice regarding doing some project work - paid or not is excellent.

Phew!

I just dropped my M8 onto a concrete pavement smashed the 35 lux i bought from you as well as the M8 itself - rangefinder totally stuffed, framelines stuffed top smashed in camera ..totaled - I laughed...I was glad I got a few precious shots of her with her father and my daughter having breakfast in a hippy joint in Canberra this morning!..

As my good wife said - that is the camera you used the most - and if you didnt use it it wouldn't have broken - so just get another one if you want to..

yeah she is a good girl -:) and no I dont think i will get 'another one'..but I figure the $10K I just totaled was money well spent.
Pete.