The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is really free the Paypal Gift Payment?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Paypal s protection is slanted toward the buyer . If the buyer uses a credit card and paypal they have several ways to dispute a transaction . The buyer is consider right in almost any situation that can not be proved absolutely. Signature,insured etc ,confirmed address etc.

I have had a number of recent transactions (here) where the buyer is obviously buying for resale in asia . They aren t up front about it ..its always for a friend . This is a recipe for disaster on any dispute . The ultimate buyer gets the item weeks later and finds a flaw ...I sure don t want to be arguing about anything that much later .

So my terms are that I take paypal credit if ..I know you or can confirm who you are . Otherwise its paypal gift or a wire transfer . And I sure as heck don t want to mess with understanding international law .

Here are few examples of issues I have had even on this forum.
1. M6 almost new in the bag from Leica ... I explain that I don t have a new battery for the meter to the buyer . He agrees to get one(actually 2) . His wife puts them in backwards ..meter doesn t work . He files a complaint and holds my paypal payment until he can resolve it. The camera was a real deal and I offered to take it back ..but no I had to wait a week .

2. M8.2 (body one) developed coffee stain on LCD which comes from rubbing the darn screen . I have pictures of it perfect when sent . I refund the money ...get the camera repaired and resell it .

3. M8U developed ISO 1600 banding ....4 months later after the camera is sold to a 3rd buyer . One month out of warranty . Leica refuses to cover it . Almost for sure something that existed from the beginning ..I just didn t shot the M8U at ISO1600 . Buyer sends it to Leica on his own and gets an estimate ..losing any chance I had of the warranty . I paid 1/3 of the repair ..clearly didn t need to .

The lesson learned is buy from people you trust and do your homework before you buy .