The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Horseman SW-D with 35 Rodenstock digital, finder and Mamiya mount plate

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have decided to sell my Horseman SW-D and move to a view camera with tilts. I love this camera and know a view camera is far harder to use and cannot be easily used hand-held, but the view tilt and swing movements suit my needs for landscape better. This Horseman camera is virtually new and comes complete with all the original boxes and paperwork. Included is the 35 APO Digital lens which is simply a stunning performer, the Horseman (also excellent) optical finder with mask for the 35 and a Mamiya mounting plate. (Plates for other backs are readily available and sell for about $300.) I'll try and get a photo up later today.

Asking $4000 OBO, paypal or check.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: Horseman SW-D with 35 HR, finder and Mamiya mount plate

Actually Kurt, after all of the research I'm thinking I'm just going to go back to the plain old Arca F-Metric view camera, but get the 6x9 version this time.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

At least there will soon be a few more options for interested shooters to choose from ...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Yeah, but all the newest ones are pricey. My pocketbook demands simpler fare... :(

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Actually Kurt, after all of the research I'm thinking I'm just going to go back to the plain old Arca F-Metric view camera, but get the 6x9 version this time.
I like that option too.
hmmmm
-bob

mark1958

i saw Jack's camera on Thursday and it was like new...

JimCollum

i have the swdII and the 35, 55 and 135mm lenses.

This is a *very* nice setup for both architecture and landscape!!!

Jack, you'll be regretting this sale!

jim

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Jim, you are probably right --- I *love* this camera, but cannot afford to get a view camera unless I sell this, and I really want the full view camera movements.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Here are the photos as promised:

Cheers,

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
All you would be adding is tilts, swings, and GROUND GLASS.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the GG is not a huge obstacle to overcome -- the bigger issue for me is the tilts.

HOWEVER, I'm running into a larger problem on that front. The Arca F-line won't focus the 35 at infinity. Seems there are only a few cameras that have the combination of deep enough recessed boards and close enough standards to get the lens close enough to the sensor to focus the 35 at infinity, and these are large 4x5 cameras -- like the Sinar P; the Sinar 4x5 is HUGE compared to a 6x9 Arca or Linhof genre. So now I've got to decide if using shuch a large platform just to gain full movements is worth it. Last thing I want to do is go back to a 10 pound view camera for field work...

:eek:

jlm

Workshop Member
jack: i could probably make you a custom recessed board, assuming the body parts don't get in the way

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
jack: i could probably make you a custom recessed board, assuming the body parts don't get in the way
that would be awesome John, I'll definitely keep it in mind once I decide on a platform!

FWIW, the problem with smaller view cams is the recessed boards --- their boards are smaller diameter and you don't have enough room to access the lens aperture, shutter speed or cocking lever once they're recessed too deeply. It is one of the reasons the "big" cameras do work is there are already deep boards available, AND the boards are large enough diameter you can still get your hands in to work the lens.

Cheers,

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Jack, my Plaubel PL69D will take any of the wide angle lenses, including the 24mm Digitar. Let's talk turkey about a trade....