The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

B

BRW

Looking to buy a Noctilux. 0.95 (Like many others, I know!).

Also looking for a 50 Summilux ASPH (new version).

Let me know if you have one or know of one available.

Located in Boston, MA.

Thanks.

Last edited:

leicashot

Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 (or 1.0) or 50 Summilux ASPH

if you want a special effect lens thats the 1.0. Like i said, I recommend the 1.4 ASPH or 0.95....otherwise you'll probably end up selling the f/1 like most other people.

B

BRW

Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 (or 1.0) or 50 Summilux ASPH

I didn't realize that's what you meant re: the 1.0....I thought you were talking about the Noctilux in general...that's good to know....thanks!

if you want a special effect lens thats the 1.0. Like i said, I recommend the 1.4 ASPH or 0.95....otherwise you'll probably end up selling the f/1 like most other people.

kebebe

I tried the nocti..95 and I have the lux from 1.4 to 2.0 the lux is slightly better contrast and Sharpness. Focusing .95 is harder too. I can buy a noct 1.0 and a lux for less money than a .95.
I get the look of the noct and the benefit of the lux. That's my take . I also have the last nocti 1.0.

shaunmlavery

The f/1 is a great lens. It has great character that shows up when you push it to. If you are after something with some life, then the f/1 lens may be your choice.

Love mine and I would find it hard to sell. It stays on whatever M is in my hand. Like saxshooter, I too have the E60 version with the built in hood. It is great.

Good luck in your hunt. You can't go wrong.

kebebe

I think so too.the newer nocti has FLE which was the main problem with the older lens including the 35 lux. The .95 does not have the draw of the older lens and it is so big not convenient as a all rounder. Thats why I have the old noct, new lux and several older cron for different look.

Double Negative

Not Available
While it's not a Noctilux, the CV 1,1/50 Nokton isn't a bad choice either. And for a LOT less coin than any of the lenses mentioned here. You might even find one quickly - also unlike the others. ;)

leicashot

BRW, I've owned all 3 and used them in professional applications. The f/1 you ONLY buy to shoot at f/1 to get that classic swirly Noct look, no other reason as there are other lenses that are sharper from 1.4 onwards.

For me in professional applications I need my out of focus area to be un-distorted and be represented clearly for my clients, even if out of focus. The Noct and 1.4 ASPH are almost identical in rendering. While the 0.95 is much larger and a bit slower in focus it handles much better than the f/1 and faster to focus.

I would only buy the Noct 0.95 as your only 50mm lens if you plan on using it wide open much of the time. Otherwise the 1.4 ASPH is a better option as it's cheaper and easier to carry around for long periods, unless you're used to carrying a large SLR. For me the Noct 0.95 was no problem to carry around, and it gives you a nice piece of mind knowing that there is no faster lens in the world so you're able to shoot as fast as possible in low light environments. For me that was more im[portant than it's 'blurring' qualities, which are often overused amongst Leica photographers, looking to turn boring/poor pictures into something creative, using an open aperture.

Here are some shots taken with the Noct wide open. I ONLY sold it cause I needed the cash to fund the Hassy. Honestly, wish I didn't now.

http://www.kristiandowling.com/#/gallery-2/L9994002

http://www.kristiandowling.com/#/gallery-2/pg406967

http://www.kristiandowling.com/#/gallery-2/Arielle_Kebbel-573fin_1000px

http://www.kristiandowling.com/#/gallery-2/L1013327

kebebe

Leicashots have some good points. I am looking for the new nocti but cost more than retail so I have to wait. It is the fastest 50 that is state of the art. The older Canon is not Sharp and low in contrast.I have the Canon f1.2 ltm and it is close to the old nocti with more yellow cast that is slower but smaller and shorter.
The bc is nice too compared to the new lux but I don't think it has FLE for the focus shift issues when shooting to f2.8.

To get the best for the old nocti should have lens and body matched.

fotografz

+2 on the 1.4X mag.

I used to have the 50/0.95 and 50/1.4 ASPH ... I could not detect a single bit of difference between the two when shot in the same light at the same apertures. None.

Obviously, the Nocti is bigger ... but I shoot in low light so often, or where I want to isolate a subject even at a bit further distance, it was a no brainer decision to keep it and sell the 50/1.4
For a smaller 50 walk-about I'm watching for a nice 50/2.

-Marc

saxshooter

fyi when buying older 50mm Summilux lenses. Older ones focus down to 1m. Newer ones go as close as 0.7m

If that is important to you (it is to me)

leicashot

This thread has been super helpful! Thx!

Is the 1.25x magnifier not enough?
No, it's a little help but the 1.4x on the M9 especially is perfect for the Noct. Even then it's still a little hit and miss but nothing focus bracketing can't help (where possible).

Paratom

This thread has been super helpful! Thx!

Is the 1.25x magnifier not enough?
Ok,
here I come with a different opinion: I hasd the 1,25 and ordered the 1.4 mag. When I received it I didnt like it because I thought it produces a tunnel like view. So I gave it back and since then I am happy with my 1.25 Magn.
However, now, 2 years later reading all this I think I should give it maybe a second try.

leicashot

The 1.4x magnifier really is 'the' magnifier to own. The 1.25x doesn't really add much to focusing accuracy on the M9. Using any 50mm lens, the 1.4X will help greatly in focusing and fills the view nicely with the 50mm framelines.

kebebe

Here is a very detail review comparing Noct .95 & 1.4 asph from diglloyd. You can decide which one is better for you. There is a difference between them. You have to subscribe to read it but here is an excerpt.
"The results all reveal the same thing: the Summilux stands head and shoulders above the Noctilux in terms of contrast and sharpness at f/1.4 and f/2. At f/2.8 onwards, field curvature and tiny focus differences determine which lens performs better in any particular area of the frame."
And it goes on and on. The noct is a specialty lens and at .95 and 1.0 no other lens can compare but f1.4, f2.0 the lux is better. In real world shooting maybe hard to tell.

"