The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTT: Leica M9 (black) for M8 or M8.2 Silver

B

BRW

Usually people go the other way, but I'm finding I liked the M8/8.2 better for my shooting style and depth of field.

I will post some pics, but figured I'd see if there was any interest.

The M9 is less than one year old and looks & operates as new. With everything as new (box, etc) plus unregistered and lightroom download available.

Looking for the perfect silver M8 or M8.2 to trade + cash.

Thanks!

B

BRW

haha! No, I'll keep the M9 if I don't find a trader and do the M9-P upgrade (I contacted them about it, thanks!).

I find that I shoot tight and close for everything. I end up cropping my M9 images to the size of the shots I was getting with my M8/M8.2.

The depth of field is very different on the M9, most of which I prefer.

Another thing I like about the M9 is the quality of the jpgs! LOL. I shoot both RAW and Jpg, and the Jpgs actually come out very nice...even tho I do processing in Lightroom.

Anyway - no M9-P on order....but I do have a Noct 0.95 on order :salute:

Hello

Is it because you have a M9-P on ordered, haha?

O

opsconcorde

I bought BRW's black M8.2 here last month before he upgraded to M9. Turns out, the M8.2 had dead pixels and a foggy LCD screen. With the dead pixels, you will see a red dot and white spots on the image if you blow it up big. When contacted, BRW said that he never had an issue with the camera. The problem is now mine. Barely a month later, he's switching back to M8.2...

B

BRW

Really? If you hadn't waited 18 days before contacting me, i would have done something about it....it's difficult also because you are in Singapore and I'm in the US.

As I said before, I'm sorry that you found the pixel by taking a picture with the cap on (which is something I didn't do - I took pictures with the cap off). And as I told you, my pictures always came out beautiful.

You also said you'd have to blow up the pictures to billboard size to see the dead red pixel (which was only one pixel (so you told me)).

Thanks so much for putting your two cents into this thread! Much appreciated!

I've decided to keep the M9 (and I haven't taken 1 picture with the cap on yet!)

I bought BRW's black M8.2 here last month before he upgraded to M9. Turns out, the M8.2 had dead pixels and a foggy LCD screen. With the dead pixels, you will see a red dot and white spots on the image if you blow it up big. When contacted, BRW said that he never had an issue with the camera. The problem is now mine. Barely a month later, he's switching back to M8.2...

stephengilbert

"Thanks so much for putting your two cents into this thread! Much appreciated!"

So if someone has a criticism of a seller, he or she should keep it secret to protect the seller? Interesting view of the "community."

B

BRW

No, i don't mind criticism, but in this case, having a camera for almost 3 weeks and not letting me (the seller) know of a problem (that he said most Leica cameras have), is a problem when I've already upgraded.

I can see this is a no-win situation for me, and I won't continue to try to defend myself.

But, yes, I agree with you that we should be able to criticize when we are not happy with a seller, so I will take the criticism.

"Thanks so much for putting your two cents into this thread! Much appreciated!"

So if someone has a criticism of a seller, he or she should keep it secret to protect the seller? Interesting view of the "community."

SYGTAFOTO

This is one of the reasons why some sellers allow a grace period to allow buyers to inspect the item. If the seller have done so and the buyer has exceeded the date without notification then the issue is with the buyer. If the seller have not offered this grace period then it was upto the buyer to take into account of that when making the purchasing decision.
it's upto the seller and the buyer to arrange something after the fact, but really at the seller's discretion.

johnnygoesdigital

Perhaps, the shipping time to Singapore added to the buyers wait time to notice the issue, but I agree with Scott, that it's up to the buyer and seller to discuss. At these prices it should be confirmed that item should be as described.

B

BRW

The 18 days was AFTER the camera was in his possession (after delivery).

How long is long enough for something like this? 3 days, 5 days? One week? Two Weeks? A month????

Perhaps, the shipping time to Singapore added to the buyers wait time to notice the issue, but I agree with Scott, that it's up to the buyer and seller to discuss. At these prices it should be confirmed that item should be as described.

SYGTAFOTO

It all depends on what was agreed upon between you and the buyer. If there was no agreement, then it's upto you and the buyer to settle it privately.

The 18 days was AFTER the camera was in his possession (after delivery).

How long is long enough for something like this? 3 days, 5 days? One week? Two Weeks? A month????

Peter Klein

Opsconcorde, if you're a Windows user, get the freeware Pixel Fixer: http://pixelfixer.org/

You calibrate it once with a dark frame taken with your lens cap on. Then you just run it on a folder full of DNGs. It quickly maps out the hot pixels, rewrites the DNG files, and all is well.

*All* digital cameras get a few hot pixels during their lifetime. Some (like Olympus DSLRs) have a routine to map them out in firmware, so you never see them. Leica doesn't, so you have to either send the camera back to Leica, or fix it yourself in software. My M8 has a few hot pixels. Why should I pay Leica to map them out when I can easily fix my pictures with a simple command on each folder of DNGs?

This is not meant to take anybody's side, only to help you be happy with your M8.

B

BRW

There was no agreement on time.

I wasn't asked to take the camera back. I was asked to pay to have the camera repaired by Leica.

Like I said before, no matter what I say now, he wins this argument.

So he wins! Case closed.

It all depends on what was agreed upon between you and the buyer. If there was no agreement, then it's upto you and the buyer to settle it privately.

SYGTAFOTO

If there was no agreement on time, I would say "buyer beware" applies; ask lots of questions including grace period. Seller needs to be upfront about the condition of the item, and buyer needs to cover this end in case something like this happens. You wouldn't buy such a high dollar item without thinking/asking about return policy.

I don't think the buyer wins this argument, I'm with you on this one.

There was no agreement on time.

I wasn't asked to take the camera back. I was asked to pay to have the camera repaired by Leica.

Like I said before, no matter what I say now, he wins this argument.

So he wins! Case closed.

T

Tamagi

LOL...Well, I'd be sure to take a picture with the cap on my M9 before I do anything else.
But if you were told that dead pixels could be detected this way, wouldn't you do it? I don't photograph blank skies, but sometimes I do to detect dust…

For opsconcorde : I bought a M8.2 two weeks back. It took me five days to detect a line at ISO 640 and above and this. I immediately informed the seller, but to no avail. It's in Solms now :(

T

Tamagi

LOL...Well, I'd be sure to take a picture with the cap on my M9 before I do anything else.
If you could detect dead pixels doing it, wouldn't you do it? Blank skies are not really my subjects but I do photograph them to detect dust…
It does not surprise me that someone buying second hand tries these techniques to test their purchase.

B

BRW

I will not be trading the M9, but thanks for all the offers and kind words....