The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Konica Hexanon 60/1.2 lens

SYGTAFOTO

There someone local to me who is selling this lens.

Check out Craigslist in Toronto. If I remember correctly, asking price was $7000.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The best stuff i have seen on this lens is from Yanidel on his blog . He has a Paris Street shooting blog with a full test of the 60 1.2 Hex . He pairs his 35 slx with the 60. A very nice set for 2 lens.

I looked at that 50 1.2 on ebay as well. I have 8 50 s for the M and on paper made a few bucks his year. I only sell when i upgrade. But $7000 is just a reflection of supply demand not the true value of the lens.

Would enjoy seeing the 50 1.2 images.

leicashot

There someone local to me who is selling this lens.

Check out Craigslist in Toronto. If I remember correctly, asking price was $7000.
I came across that add, too funny. Anything over $4k is ridiculous for this lens, cause it's good, but not 'that' good. I'll pay a fair but not ridiculous price. Ive never seen them go for over $4k myself

D&A

The best stuff i have seen on this lens is from Yanidel on his blog . He has a Paris Street shooting blog with a full test of the 60 1.2 Hex . He pairs his 35 slx with the 60. A very nice set for 2 lens.

I looked at that 50 1.2 on ebay as well. I have 8 50 s for the M and on paper made a few bucks his year. I only sell when i upgrade. But $7000 is just a reflection of supply demand not the true value of the lens.

Would enjoy seeing the 50 1.2 images.
Roger, Yanidel does show some superb images representitive of how this lens performs as well as a few others I've communicated with who own and use the 60mm. Then there are images from others images I've seen and my impression of it was somewhat mixed. I'm of two minds about the 50 but as Kristian mentioned, the 60 from all I've seen is a very good and quite interesting lens, but I'm not quite sure that good, that it's worth the price it has recently commanded.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

leicashot

If I can't find a Hex 60 for a fair price, I'll happily have a pre-asph Summilux in black paint.

50mm is definitely my preferred focal length, but always wanted to at least try the 60 - but not at the cost of a kidney

kebebe

I may not be a good tester but I can bring the noct .95, konica 50 f1.2, lux 50 pre and apsh and also canon f1.2 to leicashot and he can do a better tested comparisons. I don't have old noct anymore, canon .95 or konica 60. That is if leicashot want to do it.

D&A

I can say, in general, that this might be an interesting test if done carefully (and right). Not so much which lens is better or worse, but how they differ since a person's own preference and needs can be quite different. Keep us updated and thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

kebebe

Yes Dave. Maybe you can PM me or email how to do test. I guess we are looking a near field subject and Bokeh at different f stops? Type of backgrounds to see circles of confusion? You can review my files and published the findings?

Mike Woods

Sorry if this is slightly OT, but the comments regarding Yanidel got me thinking.

I follow his blog regularly and like his processing style. It has become a signature for him if you like. But as soon as you start touching contrast and clarity sliders, etc, in PP doesn't that kind of make a web-based analysis of lens rendition somewhat difficult?

Regards

Mike

kebebe

Since I spend much money in camera equiptment I drive a Subaru but I can get a roof rack, haha. Seriously it would be nice to meet and see some of your work. doing photography as a profession is lot different as a hobby. besides Leica M type lens are small so I can always get them into several cases.

I will PM my cell so we can talk if you like,

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Really two schools of thought .. A rigorous lens test of the type performed by Sean Reid attempt to limit the variables that affect the final image . He follows a very consistent testing protocol using tests that seem to make sense to a photographer . Over many tests done in the same way you can begin to see pattern of rendering that defines the lens (maybe in subjective terms). Zeiss ZM lens always look crisp and sharp because they have very high macro contrast ..the edges are black and the whites are clean and bright (maybe a little blueish ).

Of course even this type of testing is impact by the raw conversion but if you are testing Leica M glass ..the sensor and the conversion can be consistent.

But this type of conversion often favors the lens with the highest contrast and color saturation. A planar image has more POP than a summicron .

Yanidel is showing a final product ..the best he can muster with post processing . He is following the desaturated slightly cyan balance that is in some of the fashion ad signatures . Look at the SEPT issue of Vogue and you will see plenty of stuff that has the color rendering of Yanidels work.

What I see in his 60/1.2 is the ability to render the plan of focus with decent sharpness and contrast while allowing the OF areas to maintain a smooth and soft bokeh .

The 60/1.2 looks a little stronger from 1.2-2.8 than the pre asph summilux although they could be fairly close. The newer asph 1.4 and 0.95 would have stronger macro contrast and edges would look harder . The NOCT 1.0 has a softer roll off from 1.0-2.8 . I find it hard to create the retro look (faded color) with the 50 asph although I am sure others can do this.

So both types of testing can provide insights . (and always consider the type of light you are using )..Paris is Northern light and you often gets soft overcast days ..way different that shooting at South Beach where you have very sharp contrasty light most days .

Diglloyd is also a good sight for testing of M glass because he illustrates his work well. He shoots a lot of landscape and you can see how his priorities would be much different to Yanidel .

Sorry if this is slightly OT, but the comments regarding Yanidel got me thinking.

I follow his blog regularly and like his processing style. It has become a signature for him if you like. But as soon as you start touching contrast and clarity sliders, etc, in PP doesn't that kind of make a web-based analysis of lens rendition somewhat difficult?

Regards

Mike

kebebe

Thanks for the insight and many images have post processing so really don't know if color cast, contrast and sharpness.

Erik Five

If I can't find a Hex 60 for a fair price, I'll happily have a pre-asph Summilux in black paint.

50mm is definitely my preferred focal length, but always wanted to at least try the 60 - but not at the cost of a kidney
I have the 50 lux pre asph in black paint. Great lens. Love the E46 pre asph.

kloud

Hi Guys,

I'm part of the few crazies looking for this too much rare lens...

Still hoping to get my hands on one, but it's hard to know where to look, so if anyone has an idea, or is willing to part with one, i'm all ears (and money:grin:).

Thanks!