The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS *Unique Leica M6J/MP prototype previously owned by "Conflict Zone" photojournalist

fishandfowl

FS *Unique Leica M6J/MP prototype previously owned by "Conflict Zone" photojournalist

FS
**Unique Leica M6J/MP prototype previously owned by "Conflict Zone" photojournalist**

I purchased this unique Leica M6J/MP prototype from a photojournalist who worked in various remote regions and "conflict zones".

All of the 40th Anniversary M6J's, like all other M6s, suffered from view finder flare or "whiteout", something that had been eliminated in the M3 but was not carried forward in the M6. The previous owner was able to get Leica Wetzlar to incorporate the M3 viewfinder components in his M6J at the same time that they did a CLA on the camera after it was used during a Gaza Strip conflict. While the CLA was being done he also obtained a silver chrome Leicavit that had been developed for the Japanese collector market, of which, he told me, thre were less than 100 made. Both of these advances in the M camera were ultimately incorporated into the MP. This partilular camera has the engraving on the top plate "40 Jahre Leica M 1954-1994" but, probably because it was a prototype not built during a regular M6J production run, does not have an M6J serial number. The flare-free viewfinder, M3 type finder "framed" windows and Leicavit M make this camera unique among M6J's, but its provenance as a camera used by a working conflict zone photographer adds interest. Mechanically, the camera is operating perfectly, as it should be following a CLA in Wetzlar. Cosmetically it is excellent, but there is a small area of brassing right where the phototographer's thumb came to rest—probably thousands of times—next to the film advance lever. Otherwise the finish is perfect, and to me, the brassing gives it some character. Of course, what one sees looking through the upgraded viewfinder is sharp and clear.

Price includes silver chrome M6J camera body, 50/2.8 Elmar Collapsible lens, silver chrome lens hood and early chrome Leicavit but no box or paperwork. Price - $10,150. Will also accept a partial trade of new or super-low-click silver chrome M9-P plus $3000.

Paypal or bank wire only. Shipped overnight fedex to confirmed paypal address in CONUS and via international EMS to Asia.

Thanks for reading.
Photos to follow in a few minutes.

PM me with any questions.

Ed

Last edited:

fishandfowl

Re: Unique Leica M6J/MP prototype previously owned by "Conflict Zone" photojournalist

Here are the photos I promised.

fishandfowl

Re: FS *Unique Leica M6J/MP prototype previously owned by "Conflict Zone" photojourna

Here are the photos of the unique M6J MP Prototype previously owned by "conflict zone" Photojournalist.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: FS *Unique Leica M6J/MP prototype previously owned by "Conflict Zone" photojourna

I'll ask this for the members here. Do you have any documentation on who owned this and it's origin and proof that this is one of a conflict zone camera for one and also a prototype. Thanks

leicashot

Not being cynical but not sure why it would matter if it's been used in conflict. Does that add value? if it was used by a famous photographer and a special edition camera then I understand.

srtiwari

It is hard to imagine much exposure to "conflict", given its lovely cosmetic condition !

fishandfowl

To Guy:

All I have to go on is the word of the photojournalist who sold the camera to me. He said he took it or sent it (can't remember which) to Germany where they installed the flare-resistant components into his M6J body which, eventually, made it into the modern MP. Since the M6J normally flared just as badly as an old M6, that, alone, makes this camera a prototype, especially since that fix eventually made it into all of the moden MPs.

As to whether that individual was a "legitimate" professional photojournalist and/or famous, I learned that he had a Journalism degree from Columbia and listed "conflict zones" and "remote area" work on his CV which also states that he has worked for National Geographic and Canada Geographic. That said, he is not and was not famous, as such, nor did I suggest he was.

Leicashot's point is therefore well-taken. Not being famous, who cares whether the camera was used during a war or "conflict zone"?

To me, I found it interesting because most Leica users today are not shot at, and "wear" their cameras rather than work with them. So the idea that this camera was used in a conflict or war connects to the tradition of famous WWII and Vietnam photographers who took their M3's into conflicts and trusted them to survive very rigorous use and not fail them. And, usually, they didn't fail them.

Regarding the flare-resistant viewfinder of M3's and MPs, I called and spoke to Don Goldberg yesterday who I have known for about 20 years and asked him about it. He said that what was ironic about the M6 flare issue was that it was a result of Leica having removed components that prevented flare in the M3 (I can't remember why that was done). So the solution was to put that component or components back into the M camera, which is exactly what was done with this particular M6J, and what was done eventually with all modern MPs and it is what DAG, himself did on hundreds of M6's he has worked on.

Interesting.

zoz63

By the way CLA would of have to be done in Solms and not in Watzlar.Cheers

L

leixu2046

wow, some people must find this to be really valuable!

btw, if someone has a new silver M9P, he should add $3000 on his side in the trade, which means his $8000+tax new silver M9P worth $7150 in this trade? just to double-check.

glws

leicashot

The seller is valuing the M9-P at $7k because thats what he can buy it for.

fishandfowl

leicashot is correct.

Have located EU dealers who will sell a silver chrome M9-P, shipped to the USA and therefore net of 19% VAT, for 4994 Euro, which at today's exchange rate translates into 7075USD.

One of the dealers has it in stock and is reserving it for me pending receipt of a wire transfer which will be done as soon as I receive the dealer's bank routing number and address. Assuming no glitches I should have my silver M9-P sometime next week.

Not interested in any other trades or partial trades toward purchase of the M6J/MP prototype.

fishandfowl

leicashot is correct.

Have located EU dealers who will sell a silver chrome M9-P, shipped to the USA and therefore net of 19% VAT, for 4994 Euro, which at today's exchange rate translates into 7075USD.

One of the dealers has it in stock and is reserving it for me pending receipt of a wire transfer which will be done as soon as I receive the dealer's bank routing number and address. Assuming no glitches I should have my silver M9-P sometime next week.

Not interested in any other trades or partial trades toward purchase of the M6J/MP prototype.