The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD: Hasselblad 110mm Planar 5th Generation

John Black

Hasselblad 110mm F2 Planar FE - 5th Generation
$3500 Shipped and Paypal'd within the U.S.

The 110mm is in mint condition and includes the box, pouch, caps and paperwork. The hood is also included and is in good condition (no box). I've held onto the lens for awhile with the possible idea of getting back into digital medium format. Right now a 300/2.8 IS would be more useful, so the Hasselblad is for sale. The only blemish is a stray spec of dust on one of the inner elements which has no effect on image quality.

If somebody has a mint condition Canon 300/2.8 IS and wants to trade, that would be ideal. I'd also consider a Canon 135L or Canon 70-200/4 IS as partial payment.

woodyspedden

Good for you John

This is the one lens they will truly have to pry from my cold dead hands. There is no better portrait lens or any other where the differences between the in focus and out of focus areas is so well handled. If I am wrong, show me! LOL

Love this lens. As an added bonus, it sits well on a Nikon body with the correct adapter (read Son Minh Pham's newest). God this is sweet

Woody

John Black

I think the 110/2 is best on medium format because there it can show off its image circle and ultra shallow DOF on a very wide negative. For dSLRs I'm happier with the Contax 100/2 and prefer 100mm FOV. The 10mm difference sounds small, but it was enough to make the 110/2 feel more like a Canon 135L than a Contax 100/2.

The square baffle on the 5th gen produces square like bokeh highlights. At F5.6 the square baffle and the aperture blades combine to make an almost perfect circle. So again, I really think this lens does best on medium format where one would be likely to stop down to F5.6 for a portrait. Whereas on a dSLR we'll probably aim for F4, maybe even F2.8. The bokeh from the Contax (and Zeiss ZF - also have this lens) is stellar at those apertures with near round bokeh highlights. If I were still shooting medium format, I would have kept the 110/2 for sure.

John Black

BTW - some recent pix with CY 100/2 here on a 1Ds3 --- 1Ds Blog. I'm not trying to "sell" you on a 100/2. Since you have the 110/2, I think you'll recognize some similarities. And some other pix here - 100/2 write-up. Click on any of the images for a 1200x800 view (or thereabouts).

robmac

Congrats on the trade John.

Was looking at some shots last night from my (now sold) older F 110/2 via the 1Ds2. There was just something about the images....

Will definitely need to replace that lens when the budget priorities permit. The ability to use it on a Nikon is, as Woody mentioned, a real plus and for stop-down shooting, the Hassy pre-set system is genius.