The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panfield 4x5 FILM Camera, a Masterpeice

Offered here is a very unique 4x5 film camera. This is the hand made spectacular PANFIELD 4x5 CAMERA designed and built by Andrew Meintjes in South Africa. Andrew was tragically killed in October 2004 in a robbery. His camera lives on as one of the finest instruments for photography ever made. This camera’s primary function is for architectural and landscape photography. It’s designed to exploit the entire image circle of Schneider’s 120mm SA lens, which can cover 8x10 film. The Panfield can place the film holder anywhere within this huge image circle. That is its design criteria however any lenses can be used from 150mm down to 47mm. A double-bag bellows is used made of neoprene. This camera is intended to accept a rear extension that allows use of lenses up to 300mm. When I bought the camera I decided against the rear extension so this is only what is known as the WIDE CAMERA. The movements of the camera are limited so as to increase the camera’s rigidity and precision. As you know working with short (wide-angle) lenses requires a precise camera to keep focus across the image plane. The rear of the camera has only lateral shift 75mm each direction. The front standard has rise/fall of 75mm each direction, and swing and tilt movements. The camera accepts only Linhof lens boards and has a Sinar standard 4x5 ground glass back on it with lifting levers. A Horseman back may also be used. There is also a Sinar accessory port on the front of the camera to accept Sinar lens accessories and shades. If you’re concerned about using a camera that is no longer supported by the manufacturer don’t worry. I am including a spare neoprene bellows. The same as the original. I bought a spare when I got the camera. I also bought a spare set of focus drives. This camera does not have geared focus, rather a friction system. It was never perfect. With a heavy lens you may need to relieve some of the weight with your other hand while focusing. This never bothered me, in fact I thought using both hands allowed more precise adjustments for focus. SK Grimes, photographer’s machinists, can do any necessary work on the camera, but at this time it is working perfectly and should last a lifetime with no trouble. All knobs and adjustments on this camera are perfectly tight and lock with authority. No play in the movements or locks. If you love 4x5 photography this will be your last camera. A few other notes: There is a level on the rear of the camera that rotates to check level in each direction. It’s is not permanently fastened to the camera. It can come off at any time so be careful of that when mounting the camera on a tripod. This camera focuses by moving the lens not the film. The result is an unbelievably rigid camera since the rear standard is attached directly to the tripod. When you put a Polaroid holder in this camera, especially in the vertical position, you will be amazed at how solid the camera is especially when you realize this camera weights only about 4lbs with Sinar film back mounted. The camera comes with the following items only (no lenses or tripod). You will get the camera with Sinar ground glass back, spare bellows and focus drives, a focus hood that I had made that attaches quite well to the camera and is great for outside work since it will not blow away. You will also get a Lightware case to carry and store camera. I have the case customized for the camera and it will hold accessories and film holders too. It’s model MF1015. I also have an original brochure for the camera which is fun to read. I’m sure you will have many questions about the camera. Feel free to ask away. Buyer to pay shipping