The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD:Leica 50mm f1 Noctilux, mint 6 bit

jonoslack

Hi There
Time to rationalise some little used lenses (11 leica lenses is too many!)!
Here is a late version noctilux - probably made in or around 2000.
It has been 6 bit coded by Leica in Germany, and then sent back again to have the focusing corrected for the M8. (all documented).

It comes complete with box, leather case E60 IR filter and paperwork, and due to little use it is virtually in mint condition.

Price - £2400, it can be shipped worldwide, and I'll accept bank transfer or paypal (+3%). I might deliver in person in the UK or Holland / Belgium or Northern France. You can certainly collect or we can meet somewhere. (sorry, can't make it to the States!).

It's been a much loved lens and I'll be sad to see it go.

I was going to put these lenses on to ebay in the UK in the near future, but I thought I'd give all you good people a chance at them first! (hurry though!)

Last edited:

cam

Re: FS:Leica 50mm f1 Noctilux, mint 6 bit

damn you, Jono! i'm going to pretend i didn't see this!!!

sigh...

if anyone wants to buy me an early birthday present :D

jonoslack

damn you, Jono! i'm going to pretend i didn't see this!!!

sigh...

if anyone wants to buy me an early birthday present :D
You KNOW you need it CAM . . . how about I bring it to Arras and you pay me in Euros?
:thumbs:

35mmSummicron

Having just sold my E58 version of the Noctilux, I must admit that I am starting to miss the idea of being able to use such a unique lens......

That said, this looks to be a VERY good deal for the potential new owner.

Will be very interesting to see if Leica rumors of a new noctilux pans out....

good luck.

andy

jonoslack

Having just sold my E58 version of the Noctilux, I must admit that I am starting to miss the idea of being able to use such a unique lens......

That said, this looks to be a VERY good deal for the potential new owner.

Will be very interesting to see if Leica rumors of a new noctilux pans out....

good luck.

andy
HI Andy
thank you - yes, I think you could buy mine for less than you sold yours!

I always was a fool - but I'd rather sell it to someone on this site than a nameless person on ebay.

cam

the rumours are true, that's a given... but at what price???

ah, Jono! :cry: do you do layaway?

john

yes... I am interested....current price in USD shipped...bank transfer John

john

hello...again...probably can pick up in UK...maybe close to you...will try to confirm today...John

jonoslack

hello...again...probably can pick up in UK...maybe close to you...will try to confirm today...John
HI John
Look forward to hearing from you. I'm based in Diss (about 100 miles north of London). But I'm certainly mobile, and if you're in the UK I can travel to meet up with you.

Jono, do you regret selling the Noctilux yet. i didn't use my noctilux very often and convinced myself to sell it. As it turned out, I regretted selling it before I even shipped it off to the new buyer. There is something special about the prints from this lens that just don't show up on the computer screen.

Mark

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

Mark Having finally achieved a workable Noctilux (4 trips to Solms and finally DAG) , I have been using the Noctilux more and more . Its generally been part of my dawn and dusk kit...where I will use it wide open. However I did pick up a used 50 lux pre asph ..which may be a better all around. It seems to be in between the Noctilux and the asph ..wide open it has the soft smooth bokeh ...a little less glow ....stopped down it has most of the typical Leica pop. if you can find a 46mm version it handles perfectly. Roger

jonoslack

Jono, do you regret selling the Noctilux yet. i didn't use my noctilux very often and convinced myself to sell it. As it turned out, I regretted selling it before I even shipped it off to the new buyer. There is something special about the prints from this lens that just don't show up on the computer screen.

Mark
HI Mark
It's currently sitting on the table waiting for the UPS man to collect it. Yes, i do regret it already. I think I might have let it go a bit cheaply as well.

Such is life - truth is I wasn't using it a great deal since the advent of the D3/D700 (which are so much better in low light).

Glen - I never had trouble with mine - the previous owner had done the 6 bit coding and the Solms trips for me.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Jono:

A FWIW consolation...

I have owned the 50 Noct four times, sold it four times, and had seller's remorse each time. In every case I bought another one because I "wanted it" for the look at f1.0. The irony was I rarely ever shot it unless I specifically planned to use it, since I didn't want to carry the heavy beast unless I knew I needed f1.0. By contrast, my smaller, lighter 50 Pre-Lux was always in bag and got pressed into use at f1.4 instead.

At the end of the day I still lust for the Noct at f1.0, but finally have my self convinced it is a relationship that is not in the cards for me...

OTOH, I never lost any money on the ones I sold :D,

jonoslack

Jono:

A FWIW consolation...

I have owned the 50 Noct four times, sold it four times, and had seller's remorse each time. In every case I bought another one because I "wanted it" for the look at f1.0. The irony was I rarely ever shot it unless I specifically planned to use it, since I didn't want to carry the heavy beast unless I knew I needed f1.0. By contrast, my smaller, lighter 50 Pre-Lux was always in bag and got pressed into use at f1.4 instead.

At the end of the day I still lust for the Noct at f1.0, but finally have my self convinced it is a relationship that is not in the cards for me...

OTOH, I never lost any money on the ones I sold :D,
Thank you Jack
the UPS man came and took it away this afternoon :cry:

Of course you're right though. My 50 lux pre-asph is the Zeiss sonnar - even smaller, and at f1.5 rather like the nocti . . but by f4 it's zeiss through and through - unlike the noctilux it's ALWAYS in my bag.

The real truth though is that the very low light gigs where I used the Nocti, I'd now use a D700 - not because it's as nice, but because it has an extra 3 stops of ISO, and the CV SLII 58 f1.4 is no slouch.

I usually carry around an M8 body and a couple of lenses - the sonnar (like the CV15) is so small as to be a no-brainer . . . the Noctilux never was.

As for making a loss? No - it's even possible that I made a very small profit (even though I think it was too cheap).

Thank you for your concern . . . I think I'll survive!

I hope it arrives safely your side of the pond - it was 'triple wrapped':
in it's box with layers of bubble wrap around it
in another box with more bubble wrap
in a third box with more bubble wrap!

More thanks to Paul who has bought it.

I am jealous of Paul. Jono, when I first saw your for sale ad go up I was very tempted. Then, I spent the next few hours convincing myself the original decision to sell my Noctilux was correct and it was silly to consider re-purchasing one. Its funny because I am still replaying those arguments in my head.

If only I had a bunch more disposable income on hand I would buy another Noctilux in a heartbeat - to heck with practicality. However, things like this usually boil down to money and perceived bang-for-the-buck.

Mark