The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS or trade: Leica IR filters

R

roberth

I have an original Leica IR filter that I do not need and also a 46mm IR filter. New in box, boxes not even opened yet.
I'll happily trade either for a 49mm IR filter or a 40.5mm for my Rokkor lenses. Sale price? make me an offer I can't refuse.

BTW, does the 75 lux take a 60mm IR filter.

R

roberth

not sure I will ever get my hands on a lux so holding onto an IR filter just for that occassion may be pointless. Hopefully someone out there needs one.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Hope you don't mind I hijacked this thread for a question. I received my brand new M8 on Christmas eve and immediately registered with Leica and put in for my 2 filters. My question is how long does it typically take for the filters to be shipped?

I have been using the new camera but am running into a number of situations where I wish I had the IR filter. I'm trying to decide if It's worth ordering one to use while I wait for the L-brand to arrive.

Thanks!
Tim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
What sizes did you order , some of sizes are easier to get 39,46 and 55 it seems right now. the 49mm has always been a bear to get. A good idea is check Popflash and B&H to see what is out there for sale which in turn are the easier ones to get from Leica

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Ahhh, that figures. I ordered a 46 and a 49 (in anticipation since I only have the one lens so far). Now I'm beginning to think that if the 49 is going to slow things up, I might just order one elsewhere. Any particular brand you recommend for the 46?

Thanks again.

Guy Mancuso

Tim I went all Leica and from 24mm lens down i would only recommend Leica. The leica filters are tuned to the firmware and the B+W filters are not so it will be a little tougher in the wide angle area so reason i just went Leica. Actually they have a 49mm in stock which has the wrong picture to it but you may want to order that and if you get a second someone will buy it . They seem to have all sizes so that is the good news

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/483708-REG/Leica_13412_E49_UVA_IR_Glass_Filter.html

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It sounds like a little patience on my part is in order. Especially if the Leica filters are the right way to go. I still have so much to learn about the camera that I'm sure I can fill the time between now and when the filters arrive. I won't waste money on the B+W.

Cheers!

Guy Mancuso

Honestly Tim I could give you several paragraphs on why the Leica filters overall but just take my word for it you will be happier overall in the long run. Also you have questions on the M8 we have experts on this subject here just ask away. We are all here to learn and share so don't feel any question is a dumb one, most of us went through this on the school of hard knocks and no reason you should.