The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 and lenses for sale

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
O.K. Jack

Even with all my rationalization I fear you are really right about the M8 so I am withdrawing if from sale.

The lenses remain for sale with the 90 Macro, 50 Cron and 135 APO/Telyt remaining.

Woody
You don't really want to lose your travel kit if you can help it. One reason i have the little Alpa, there are other reasons and that is to use my MF back but the three of us will chat in Florida about some of this stuff. By than we will have a better idea on what is coming to market also. I am sitting pat myself. Yes the handcuffs are killing me but i want to know what is next this time before i move on anything. Now if a 24mm Alpa lens comes out of hiding for a great price than all bets are off. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hey you want to test your M8 and your 28mm against my mighty P25 plus back and a Schnieder 47mm there big fella. You WILL be buying that steak dinner.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Actually that would be a fun test. Just don't ask me to focus it . LOL

woodyspedden

You guys are so much fun. Can't wait to see you again in Florida.

Anyway, as goes the M8, for now at least that is a done deal. Stays in my travel bag to do what it does best.

I think I will take your advice Jack and sell at least one if not both of the film bodies. (Can't bear to part with the M3 so that means both of these cherry M6TTL's). Might as well since I am not actually shooting film as much as talking about shooting film.

So if anyone is interested in a LNIB M6TTL either a 0.58 or a 0.85 let me know. I also have one of Tom Abrahmmsons rapidwinder clones which is a delight.

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hey you want to test your M8 and your 28mm against my mighty P25 plus back and a Schnieder 47mm there big fella. You WILL be buying that steak dinner.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Actually that would be a fun test. Just don't ask me to focus it . LOL
Don't ask you to focus it?????? That my friend is over half the freaking battle!

:ROTFL:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
You guys are so much fun. Can't wait to see you again in Florida.

Anyway, as goes the M8, for now at least that is a done deal. Stays in my travel bag to do what it does best.

I think I will take your advice Jack and sell at least one if not both of the film bodies. (Can't bear to part with the M3 so that means both of these cherry M6TTL's). Might as well since I am not actually shooting film as much as talking about shooting film.

So if anyone is interested in a LNIB M6TTL either a 0.58 or a 0.85 let me know. I also have one of Tom Abrahmmsons rapidwinder clones which is a delight.

Woody
Woody That was a close one!!! You realize that if you ditch the M8 .....you will have to move to "The Film Forum" over at he LUF.:ROTFL: Roger

jonoslack

O.K. Jack

Even with all my rationalization I fear you are really right about the M8 so I am withdrawing if from sale.

The lenses remain for sale with the 90 Macro, 50 Cron and 135 APO/Telyt remaining.

Woody
Hi Woody
I think you're really making a good decision in keeping the M8.

I completely understand where you were coming from - I have a similar situation in that the D700 is just a better tool for low light - which is why I'm selling my Nocti (sad though I'll be to let it go). If I want that 'feel' then the zm 50 sonnar gives a similar feel at f1.5, plus it's tiny . . . and sharp as a pin above f2.8. The WATE is going because it's big and clumsy, even though I do like the results.

But I'm keeping both bodies, and 7 or 8 lenses. I'm actually planning a little comparison between the CV15 and the Nikkor 14-24 to wake up the Nikon forum a bit :)

One forgets what a great thing the M8 is to have in a small bag on winter evenings.

I'm not sure that I agree with Jack that the M8 files are nicer to work with (for me, that really is one of the big joys of the D3/D700, the files seem to take anything you throw at them). There's no doubt that the M8 files have bags more detail though, and there's that certain kerzang about them.

Good luck with the other items (not interested in my WATE are you :ROTFL:)

woodyspedden

Jono

I had a WATE for a brief period and really liked the results.

But like you, I find it large, clunky and the finder is a bit of a mess.

I have both the CV 12 and CV 15 and find they do a very good job. A fantastic job if you factor in the price.

So I will continue my journey to paring down my lens kit rather than expanding it. I suspect that with fewer lenses I might actually take the opportunity to use this great tool.

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I suspect that with fewer lenses I might actually take the opportunity to use this great tool.
We should all print this out very large and tape it to our camera cabinets :) Seriously, I found I enjoyed my M8 system a *LOT* more when I got it down to the point where everything fit in my Domke J803 (2 bodies and 5 lenses fit easily).

woodyspedden

Jack

I am very serious about this. I suspect that if i went out with, say, a 28 Cron and 50 pre asph only, I would really shoot slowly and methodically; would be forced to do a little walking to get the composition right (and be thinking about the outcome while doing so) and would end up with way more keepers.

Once home and the files processed, I also suspect i would have a few really pleasing images. This would encourage me to do yet more of this kind of shooting, with the M8. Lens choices may vary depending on what is on the venue for the day, but other than that, two lenses and a cloud of dust.

I am really going to try this for a few weeks.

Hopefully i'll be posting some images for all to see.

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I think that is an outstanding idea Woody :thumbs:

I remember reading this saying several years back and thinking how often it was applicable to myself and my camera gear -- maybe it works for you too:

"Nothing facilitates efficient decision-making better than a lack of options."

:ROTFL:

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Woody - that is what I have been doing. I usually take two lenses with me when I go out with the M8 (sometimes I take only one, sometimes three). Most of the time I never even use both lenses or if I do I change lenses once and usually leave it on for the rest of the time.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
If you have seen my posts you know I am a big proponent of using two bodies. This changes the choices in a significant way. If I have one body..it really can t be a lens over 50 unless its an unusual situation. Otherwise I would miss many opportunities as I am just too slow to change lenses for a specific shot. So if its one body ..I think I would go with the 50 1.4 preasph and the 28cron in my vest/jacket/shirt. But with two bodies....I want a longer lens ..75/90/135 depending on the location. If I have good light or impressive buildings ..I want the WATE. So I usually take 6-7 lenses to a destination and then pick 3-5 for each shoot. But with one body it would probably be 2-3 lenses.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I shot NOTHING but my 21mm SA on my own M8 for almost a full year, just to really be able to master that lens when I wanted to use it. The net results I would say are SO much worth having put in that effort. I now feel not only a master of this lens on an M8, but also feel it made me a much better photographer in the process. But then, the 21mm SA is likely the hardest lens of the lineup to use, since it sits so far back into the body that auto aperture does not work. This is a fully manual bag folks, no cheating allowed. I've shot my 24 ASPH for years, so adjusting to that lens only took me a few weeks on the M8, as the first lens I used. Lately, I started moving up in the format to use my old 35mm Cron. Been on the camera now constantly for the last six or eight weeks. Next it is going to be a 75mm Lux, and the 28 Cron. Each in their turn, for the most part.

Bottom line, you want to be a great photographer, you just have no shortcut to using the gear so often, you build enough experience with it that you shoot your images without even thinking about your camera. You are too busy making artistic decisions for those petty details to creep into your consciousness. How anybody ever manages to do this carrying around a bag full of lenses is beyond my own comprehension. I tried it for years, and finally realized how dismally I failed at really perfecting my knowledge of any of them. Realizing once and for all that having the best of the best is an important ingredient in creating the ultimate image, it just isn't the only one.

Oh, and for the record, that Alpa TC is a great camera Guy, but my money is on Jack with the M8 in your competition. <Grin>.