The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Please advise on this items condition.

ryc

All,

If you were selling this lens how would you rate it on a scale from 1 to 10 and Mint? I would really appreciate some honest feedback on this.

Thanks

Brian S

KEH EX+ condition, or 9/10. Marks on front of barrel from using a Lens Hood. I tend to be conservative. Over 20 years of buying experience from KEH.

More important- what is the glass like?

Jonas

Why not just describe it and show the images? There are so many ways to rate lenses and they are all insufficient. I much rather get a detailed and honest description than a shady number like "8+" or something which actually means nothing as I don't know what the seller counts as interesting.

ecsh

If the glass is flawless but there are marks for the hood, i would not call it mint. Mint to me means look new. Unless they come with marks new, it does not qualify. The number system has always had too much leeway for definition.
Joe

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
exc- due to scratches.
-bob

forget the numbers, nobody knows what they mean.

ibcj

If you go buy KEH rating system, it would be EX or EX+, however with KEH their scale goes from EX to BGN with nothing in between.

My opinion is that it would be EX- due to the finish.
I've owned a bunch of Zeiss lenses and while the optics may be stellar, the durability of the finish isn't very good imo.

Rafael Macia

I would describe it;
glass flawless,
barrel shows signs of use,
describe mechanical ... i.e. focus smooth.
Describing it in so many words is better than a number or condition rating. People tend to put yeast in their ratings.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I could be wrong but I thought MINT was a grading term that came from coin collectors. Meaning as a coin came from the mint . IMHO it is incorrectly used ..all to often in the favor of the seller.

The KEH grading system is decent ...they have been buying and selling used equipment for a very long time ..its their business (they are not a traditional retailer) . They are careful (at least in my experience) to fairly value items . They can really only concentrate on cosmetics as they surely can t test every item .

While some buyers are looking at the cosmetics as “not important” they are indicative of how a items has been used and significantly affect resale pricing. When a camera or a lens has any significant dent ..how do you know it hasn t affect alignment,calibration ..unless you have the test equipment ..you generally don t.

Photos are the best equalizer but they need to show any blemish . A good question is to ask the seller to describe anything that would distinguish the lens from new . Call it LN ...could I put it on a shelf and sell it for new ? If not its not LN so whats the difference .

The lens shown is no better than excellent because of the paint loss on the exterior of the lens mount and the scrapping where the hood has been mounted. It does not in anyway look new or mint ..rather it is a typical used lens . There are benefits from buyer a typical camera lens from a forum member. I have bought from individuals because they are very good at selecting say a new lens and sending back anything that isn t prefect. If the focus mount is smooth and the glass is perfect ..could be a good buy at the right price . But condition affects the price both to you and if you resell.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
IMHO, definitely not mint. And since I am conservative about grading, not Exc+ either. Looks like an Exc but I also agree with the posters who said just describe what you have and provide photos.

Last edited:

Farnz

Does anyone else agree with me that the whole Exc+, Exc, Exc- thing is meaningless because the condition of a lens either excels or it doesn't? (And for that matter excels relative to what?)

For example I could describe the condition of a lens as "superb" but it wouldn't occur to call it "superb+" or "superb-" because it wouldn't mean anything.

I will continue to describe the condition of photographic equipment as accurately as I can in real sentences with supplementary photographs and hopefully without needing to resort to shorthand that introduces terms referenced to unknown norms.:)

I invite other sellers to do the same.:toocool:

Pete.

ryc

When I bought it, this is how it was described to me:

The lens is in pretty much new condition except the replaced lens cap.
I just want to make sure I am not expecting too much or being finicky.

When I read the description I was assuming like new.