The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Hasselblad CFV Digital Back

PeterA

Everyone has to find out the right amount of megapixels for themselves. Even then - the number of megapixels is relevant for only two things- how much resolution do you need for the type for the type of work you like to shoot and how big will you (really) print your stuff. You indicated you have a 205TCC body and FE lenses that go with it - so you are in fact limited to using the CFV series back with this combination - unless you are happy to shoot permanently on the flash sync speed of 1/90th

If instead you had a 500 series camera - well as indicated above - many other digi backs are open to you.

MY CFV16 is stuck on the 205TCC or the 500 CWD and soon also to be used on an Alpa. Other great alternatives ( assuming you switch bodies) are the Leaf 5 at 22 megapixels or a used Phase One P25/25+ if you can find one.

The sticking point will be changing camera/lenses to be able to buy into more flexibility.

I would not reference the cost of a 40mm to the special price offered by Hasselblad when they were moving the CFV16 - it is irrelevant and implies an asking price for both this wonderful lens and great back - let alone a body of next to nothing. A lot of people have posted on here expecting people to sell them parts of this kit for next to nothing - and haven't got much success.

bensonga

Double Negative....your shots of the Leica gear taken with the CFV-16 are excellent!!

It's a great setup, for sure. There are times when I would like to have had ~22mp to work with, but 16mp will suffice for most of my needs. In any case, it's a nice camera to use.

My own 503CWD currently sports a PME45 finder with the 40mm CFE IF lens attached and lives in a Pelican 1510 roller case.

Double Negative

Not Available
Thanks, Ben and Peter! :)

What I like about the CFV (over say Imacon or Phase) is that it matches perfectly to my 503CW and doesn't require a sync cable... Little details, but nice just the same.

johnnygoesdigital

The photograph of the 503CWD is beautiful, dare I say sexy! This is perhaps the best looking combo of any MFD, that's available - and that sometimes gets photographers to shoot more...

fotolli

Since this is such a vivid thread and people seem to crave for a "lower end" Hasselblad back, excuse me for advertising my CF-22, should anyone be interested.
I do have the 2-way V-mount i-adpater for it which let´s you use it in landscape or portrait mode.
It does have the same "fat" pixel, as does the CFV-16, just more of them on a 36x48mm sensor, so that you don´t loose your wideangle abilities.

My back just came back from Hasselblad in Denmark, where it got a new linkboard, uv-protection filter and was newly calibrated. This cost me roughly 2.500 $.

My asking price is in the 4.000-4.500 € range net to me.

PM me if interested.

bensonga

I'll take that pelican case...:D
Just let me know a decent price..... Seriously...:)
I'll add your name to the call back list Paul, but I'm sure you will have found something long before I get around to making those calls.

In fact, chances are, when I do get around to selling it, people will say "CFV, what's a CFV? Never heard of it."

In response, just two words: "FAT PIXELS!". ;)

Gary

jlm

Workshop Member
i used the 205 and CFV 16 for a couple of years and loved it. the only problem was the crop, large print limitations with 16mpx and using wide angles. i have always loved the square. then the CFV 39 came out and after a tortuous path, i move to that. The rectangular format was a PIA, i was too pixel stingy to crop to square, but that is really the right way to use the body.

if i were going back to the beloved V series, I would use film and scan

PeterA

That is the great thing about this silly little square digi chip - it is square and it is little and the files are really tiny - but it packs a FAT punch. It is a lean mean fighting machine with no pretensions and no interest in the megapixel game - and yes it looks sexy and retro on the camera it was designed to be used on - and teases the best quality out of the center sweet spot of every lens that is fortunate enough to sit in front of it.