The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jupiter 3 KMZ

S

shootinglulu

Jupiter 3 50mm 1.5 KMZ.
Given tlc and re shimmed by Brian Sweeney. Glass is very nice and clear.
Focus perfect 1.5 from 3f past 100f. F4 very sharp

SN 5303009

£200 +postage

Brian S

This lens came out really good, I tested it with my M9 before sending it back across the Atlantic.

This lens is interesting- a 1953 KMZ optics module mounted in a later focus mount. Best of both worlds. The 1953 KMZ Jupiter-3 uses German glass, and performance is on par with the wartime German Sonnars. I have a couple of those to compare with. The later focus mount corrects a design flaw in the wartime Zeiss LTM mounts and the KMZ Jupiter-3 mounts. Those mounts use ONE SET SCREW to hold the helical in place in the mount. I have seen them "break Loose" and the helical come undone. This later mount uses three set screws to hold the helical in place.

I will not be taking on any more Jupiters to work on for a long time. Too much 7th grade homework to help with these days.

Not the same 1953 KMZ J-3 being sold here, but this is what was done to the lens being sold here:

http://www.ziforums.com/showthread.php?p=2767#post2767

and then the lens was shimmed for optimal performance on the Leica. I tried to convince some other repairman that work on Jupiters to add this as a service, but it is "not by the book". Standard collimation procedures call for the lens to be collimated at infinity. That works if you use the lens on a Russian camera. To work on a Leica, the Jupiters need to be collimated at close distance.