The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Leica M3 and Summicron 50/2 collapsible

Stuart Richardson

These two are in user-ish condition -- the M3 is great, but for some scuffing on the top and a slight bit of haze in the viewfinder, and the 50/2 has a bit of haze and some coating loss -- it still takes really lovely pictures, however. Very sharp still too. The M3 is a double stroke version, very smooth and all the speeds are within a 1/3 of a stop (last time I checked...get it checked out if you intend to do mostly slide film). For people that care, the serial number is 843500, which means it is from early 1956, likely the last of a batch. It has the viewfinder frame selector lever and metal pressure plate -- it is just before the single stroke models. It is an elegant, minimalist and effective camera. I am only selling it because I have another and I don't use it as much as I should. I have too many cameras.

1100 takes them both, and I will throw in a beautiful built-in grip Luigi case -- it is a forest green color with matching hybrid strap. It is nicely worn in from a good amount of shooting. The Luigi case alone is now selling for 210 euro.

The camera looks like this:

Or more straightforwardly, like this:

And the 50/2 collapsible took these:

It has a character that later, "better" lenses do not have.

Also, this includes a original front lens cap, 12585 hood (about 100 bucks on its own) and a 39mm B+W MRC UV filter to keep the coatings from being damaged any more.

You are not going to find a real Leica and a real 50mm summicron for less money, certainly not with a great Luigi case to go with it. My dad was 8 years old when this camera was made, but it will keep taking pictures long after any of us are gone.

Last edited:
C

carbonmetrictree

I'll forward this to a friend who is in the market for a Leica, he might want to purchase it.

C

carbonmetrictree

I'll see if he's interested. He was in the market for a M series camera, not too sure which one he wanted but I'll give it a shot for you.

By the way, spectacular b&w work on your site!

Thanks for the offer Andrew. Please let me know if your friend is interested.

Thanks Pete, it should be here Tuesday!

A nice outfit there Andrew.

Pete