The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Canon 1200mm

KETCH ROSSI

Hey fellows, long time... ;)

Looking for a Pristine New or Used Canon 1200mm Lens for a good friend.

If you are selling one or know of any one selling please refer, much appreciated... ;)

You can email me: [email protected]

THANKS!!

Ben Rubinstein

There are only about 9 of these on the planet, they were only ever made by special offer to Canon and the prices will scare the pants off you! Have to admit my initial thought was that you were joking. An 800mm lens on a 1D4 will get you to 1040mm at a fraction of the cost and to be honest will be realistic to be able to aquire. A 800mm with the new 1.4X II converter will probably give as good IQ at 1140mm and although you lose a stop, at least you don't need a 2nd tripod to mount it and a sherpa to carry it for you, or the need to sell your house to afford it (not kidding about the house!).

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Ben,

You find a 1200 and Ketch will buy it...he runs with the BIG boys in the RED world.

Nice to see you over here Ketch, it has been a long time! And this group may be one of the few that might harbor such a beast.

I was very disappointed to read your No Diving post recently...at least with the Epic and 4K you will have a great topside view of the dives. Awaiting notification to send my old R1 in for Stage 3....waiting....waiting...

There is a small video thread here...would be nice to see a couple of links to your world from time to time. We get the stills part of the DSMC but would love to see the higher end of RED raw and Graeme's magic.

With warm regards,

Bob

KETCH ROSSI

Ben,

no joking, seriously looking for a Canon 1200mm lens, and well aware of both price and quantity made by Canon, one of this lenses has already been ordered, but if I can find one used in pristine conditions my friend will be much happy to avoid the long wait... ;)

Bob, I miss this place, just been os busy with RED... ;)

But I'm coming back here, its such a pleasure to deal with Pros, and share the love of Imagery form our Stills, and as I'm also buying a MF camera again, and this time we'll really put it to use.

We'll also see what is happening in here with the DSMC world of things, if not I'll start few sections if the Bosses here permit... ;)

henningw

There are also a couple of other interesting lenses; not autofocus but that probably doesn't matter in this instance:

Nikkor 1200-1700 f/5.6-8 zoom which unfortunately is as least as rare, and the
Leica Apo-Telyt 1600/4 and Zeiss 1700/4 which are both rarer and rather pricier.

I've seen both of them, but doubt that more than a couple were made.

Henning

KETCH ROSSI

Thanks guys, but I'm oy looking for the Canon 1200... ;)

Thanks Marc, I'm back for good, we'll be shopping for an other MF kit shortly, Leica S2 or Hassy HD4-50/200mpx.

Then Ill start posting some good stuff from Italy...;)

surfotog

You might try contacting the owner of Oakley, the sunglass maker. Word among the surf photographers in Hawaii is that they had a Canon 1200. That was a few years ago, but given the rarity of the lens it might be worth a shot.

Off topic...isn't the 1200-1700 Nikkor zoom still available via special order? I seem to recall it's price was in the 40K region, a veritable bargain compared to the Canon 1200.