The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: LEICA "M" Lenses... ;)

KETCH ROSSI

Titanium is EASY to anodize. Folks just need to look up the process.;)
If you do indeed know some one that can do it professionally, I don't care about the cost, but the tolerance is less then 1 Micron, so I don't think it can be done.

Or Jim from RED would have, as He loves Black!!

V

Vivek

If you do indeed know some one that can do it professionally, I don't care about the cost, but the tolerance is less then 1 Micron, so I don't think it can be done.

Assuming that statement is true for a moment, is it relevant? What needs to be in mat black is the back side of the mount facing the sensor. Mask the rest and dip it into an electrolysis cell with an appropriate dye.

You can buy all the stuff that is needed and do it at home (Google).

Unlike Aluminum, Titanium does not need dangerous acids for anodization/coloring.:)

KETCH ROSSI

He he, and for a moment here I tough you actually had a solution... ;)

No the back of the mount needs nothing, it is designed to work as it is, obviously, since it is a $2,000 mount on a $43,000 camera.

What I tough is that you knew for fact, of some one that could Anodize, which is the only way, Titanium, I guess you don't... ;)

All other stuff, just simply wan't work, you don't do a do at home anything on this type of gear Vivek.

Ketch

Assuming that statement is true for a moment, is it relevant? What needs to be in mat black is the back side of the mount facing the sensor. Mask the rest and dip it into an electrolysis cell with an appropriate dye.

You can buy all the stuff that is needed and do it at home (Google).

Unlike Aluminum, Titanium does not need dangerous acids for anodization/coloring.:)

D&A

Hi Ketch,

I know next to nothing about shooting video, except for overwinding the spring on my dad's 8mm movie camera when I was 7 years old :) ....but I do know that many of my titanium bike (bicycle) parts for the past 20 years were anodized by all sorts of small start up companies in a variety of colors. So apparently anodization of titanium was and is commonly done. I have parts in blue, violet, green, "RED", silver and some other colors.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hi Ketch
glad you got your lenses, sorry not to get back fast enough about the 35 . . I was crucified by an honesty/value conundrum.
Those Leica 'lux video lenses look splendid.

KETCH ROSSI

Dave,

I should have better specified the technicality of why is near impossible to Anodize this Type of Titanium mounts, and this reason is because it needs to be fitted so precisely, that it only allows for less then 1 Micron, for the Anodizing process.

Hi,

I know next to nothing about shooting video, except for overwinding the spring on my dad's 8mm movie camera when I was 7 years old :) ....but I do know that many of my titanium bike (bicycle) parts for the past 20 years were anodized by all sorts of small start up companies in a variety of colors. So apparently anodization of titanium was and is commonly done. I have parts in blue, violet, green, "RED", silver and some other colors.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Dave,

I should have better specified the technicality of why is near impossible to Anodize this Type of Titanium mounts, and this reason is because it needs to be fitted so precisely, that it only allows for less then 1 Micron, for the Anodizing process.

Hi Ketch,

Thanks for the clarification. I can now understand the necessity of needing the precision to lay down less than 1 micron depth of anodization. On my bike parts, no doubt the coating is thicker than this and yet it has "nicked" away, chipped and scratch easily as I can see the bare titanium under the coating. Therefore even if there was a way to achieve a precise 1 micron coating, it would also require a higher level of technique to ensure that the anodization coating somehow is resistant to pealing and wearing off. I see that as maybe more of an issue than the problem then getting no more than 1 micron thickness of anodization on it in the first place.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited: