The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Beater User Dynalite Strobe Kit

Frank Petronio

Not Available
I'd really like to sell this to active forum members this evening so check the pricing ;-p If you've ever wanted to try AC strobe, this gives you professional firepower, two packs and four heads.

One Dynalite D-804 (blue) 800-watt/second pack with three 1836 D-series fan-cooled 250 watt modeling lamp heads, plus two D to M convertor cables and appropriate cordage. Actually including a fourth non-working head for salvage. These are 30 years old but still working 100% so I doubt anything is going to go wrong tomorrow.

One Dynalite M500-XL pack with a fan-cooled Bi-Tube M-series head. Only one side of the Bi-Tube head works. Also missing the modeling lamp ($20). The A channel on the 500 pack doesn't work (it is pushed in). In other words, you will only get 250 watts out of this guy on the B-channel but that is still many times what your puny toy shoe-mount flash can do. You could probably replace the second flash tube and get a valuable head worth a lot more. Or just use it as a hair light or toss it into the bathtub.

Nothing is warrantied and I don't want to quibble about cosmetics or if a tube breaks in transit so it's $500 for everything, shipped in the USA, sold as-is.

Add $150 for international and I will refund any overpayment.

Ballparking, you can shoot a solo torso portrait at f/8-11-16 depending on your distance and modifiers on ISO 100 film and also have a hair and background light.

You'll need a sync cord ($10), probably a peanut 2-prong optical sync ($10), a long cord ($10), and a flash meter ($10 to $400) ~ also a safe sync ($50) or a remote sync ($50 to $400). All of this should fit into two milk crates ($10) or a very large case ($10 to $400).