The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS (Can/US) Nikon Coolscan V ED

robmac

Have for sale a Nikon Coolscan V ED kit.

Includes slide feeder (MA-21), film feeder (SA-21) as well as factory manuals, cable and original Nikon software (though will want VueScan, etc., as MUCH faster and utterly painless vs. the Nikon software - no surprise there).

Bought it to scan some older slides for in-laws, something have been doing at a rate of a handful at a time when schedule permitted - and am literally down to the last slides. Total scan volume has been low. Unit has been under a dust cover in gear closet 99% of the time I've owned it. No box. NOT original owner.

Sucker works like a tank. NO issues whatsoever. The V ED and (the now even more ghastly spendy 5000ED, which I've also owned in past) are incredibly robust and reliable machines that do a great job. Just plug in, set your scan parameters via software of choice and feed it slides/film. No hiccups, brain-farts, chewed slides/film, nada. It just works all the time, every time.

I won't list all the particulars of the CS V ED, but basics are 4000dpi, 14bit, ED glass, Digital Ice, etc. (Nikon site link):

COOLSCAN V ED from Nikon

Price is CDN$925 net to me. Shipping by Canada Post using buyer's (fully insured) choice of service. Last scans should be finished today, would be able to get out Monday-Tuesday. Payment by PP, certified cheque, or if in Canada, EMT (save 3%).

References here, on FM as Conner999 (100%) or on eBay as Kumara999(100%)

robmac

Bump.

Taking pics to list this sucker over weekend on that, shudder, auction site (hate using despite higher prices normally get), so if anyone's waffling and wants a nice 35mm scanner from a reputable seller (check here, on getdpi as robmac or on FM as Conner999)... Or an investment judging by the climbing prices for these things.. Listing will be a simple BIN (hate auctions) at, given prices of late, just under or around CDN$1K plus shipping, so call the current price a discount for an easier sale.

Some rough shipping approximations for those interested. These are based on enquiries I've had. All are insured for $900 and via Canada Post Xpress Post ir Int'l Air mail (www.canadapost.ca):

Weight: 4.5KG
Dimensions: 15x12x14.5"

Eu:~C$180
Russia: app. ~C$200
US (CA): ~C$50-91 depending on service

robmac

Late Edit: After near-stroke having to deal with Ebay's "who the %^& designed this.." system (#$%^&), listing BIN price dropped to C$895 and will be renewed at such late Sunday if not sold by then.

That said, if a standing forum member wants to make an appealing offer, we can always discuss the shipping costs - or possible gear trades, etc.

Now where's my martini shaker?

-----
Member's PM (thank you) got my cursiosity piqued, so re-ran my average completed auction listings data for a clean CS V ED kit.

No real reason posting this, but some might find it interesting. I did, as still amazed at how prices on scanners, especially MF scanners, have soared.

At time of my original forum listing, the average completed price for auctions after excluding 3-4 "are you nuts...!?" prices > $1200 and "great deal" ones < $600 (NR auctions where seller rolled the dice), the average over app. 13 done deals was roughly my original asking price (+ shipping of course).

Now, re-running the completed average including latest 10 or so completed auctions, excluding the outliers (see below however) the average over some 20 done deals drops to $910 ish.

Now, if you do an "I wonder...?" and INCLUDE the 3-5 curve outliers < $600 (one as low as $475) and > $1200 (as high as $1240), the average drops slightly to $840 ish.

I'll tweak my OA listing if/when comes for renewal to probably just under the new normalized average to stay current as it were; but scanners as an 'investment'.. who'd have thought? I don't even look at MF scanner prices. Scary stuff.

Last edited: