The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD: Jupiter-3 shimmed for Leica

Brian S

SOLD... :cry: This was a nice one...

For sale is a 1955 KMZ 5cm F1.5 Jupiter-3 with new front-element and mounted in a much later Black Leica Thread Mount, EX condition. Glass is near perfect- inner and rear triplet are original and look like German glass, as used in my other KMZ J-3’s of this period. The black finish was worn on the rim of the outer helical, and I touched it up- see close-ups. Not perfect, not bad. The rear triplet is uncoated, and is an exact match of my pre-war German Sonnars. I disassembled this lens, flood-cleaned the aperture blades, lubed the helical, and custom shimmed it for the Leica. The aperture blades look good, focus is very smooth. I replaced the original front element which was scratched with one from a 1980s “New-Old-stock” lens. I tried out four different front elements to get the lens to be as sharp as it is now across the distance range. It is one of the best J-3’s that I have used. This lens is optimized for wide-open and close-up use on the Leica. I have used this lens on my Leica M8 and M9. It focuses properly to infinity even at F1.5.

Robert Chisholm posted an article on two Jupiter lenses that I worked on here:

JUPI-WHAT? Shooting Jupiter Lenses on the Leica M9 by Robert Chisholm | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Price: $325 shipped within the United States Priority Mail, $340 anywhere else via International Priority Mail. Paypal, Personal Check, Money Order. I reserve the right to hold shipment until check/MO clears. Return policy: returns must be made within 10 days, refund for the price of the item will be given after receipt. Postage cost is not refundable. If you need an IR/UV filter, I will sell the B&W 40.5mm filter for an additional $35. Filter only offered with the lens. You will need an LTM to M-Mount adapter to use this with an M-Mount camera, adapter not included.

Not quite as sharp as a C-Sonnar, but also a lot less money. I've done side-by-side comparisons between the two, Zeiss and KMZ did a good job matching my original Sonnars.

At F1.5 on the M9:

100% crop

(Yup… nailed it)

Infinity at F1.5:

and F4:

At F1.5 on the M8

Lens is sold, payment received.

Thankyou.

Last edited: