The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

18 Sony/Minolta Mount AF Zooms

Tesselator

These lenses were hand picked by me from used shops over the past 18 to 20 months. I’ve tested all of them on an AF body and have put them head to head on the GH1 for my own edification. These are the better of over 30 zoom lenses tested. All of these lenses produce very good images when mounted on the GH1. With the VERY slight size difference between a µ4/3 sensor and an APS-C I will assume they produce excellent images on APS-C cameras as well. On Sony’s FF model DSLR I have no idea what the corners might look like and I have no way of telling for certain. However, all of these lenses were carefully examined on a FF Film camera and a test target was studied. If any had soft corners the film camera did not reveal them. All of the longer zooms for example produce better images than the Lumix 100-300 lens costing about $500 - kinda makes one think. My asking price for all of these lenses individually combined is $705 before shipping. I would like to sell the entire lot for $650 plus $50 for shipping.

Tokina AF 100-300mm f/5.6~6.7
See e-bay auction of the model but for Nikon: Tokina EMZ130 AF 100-300mm f5.6-6.7 Macro for Nikon | eBay

Zoom Type: Push - Pull
Manual Focus Ring: Yes, smooth!
Filter Rotation With Focus: Yes
Weight with both caps and hood: 505 grams
Serial Number: 98020088

AF: Works! In very low room light the longest it took to focus was just less than 1sec. More typically about 1/10 sec. In daylight quite fast IMO!
Sample images: when mounted on the GH1: Index of /Images/_Image_By_Lens/Tokina_AF_100-300mm_f5.6
Exterior: Near mint
Glass: Near mint - No scratches, no separation, no clouds, almost no dust! Nothing to affect images!

Notes: Has one tiny speck of mold. So small though that the guy who sold it to me missed it and called the lens “Mint”. You need a strong torch to see it and it’s on the outer edge of an element which is behind a permanent aperture baffle - so nothing that would affect your images!
This model of Tokina lens has zoom creep and an anti-creep band would be useful with this lens! About $3 on bay.

Approximate value in my opinion: $85
Asking: $25 + $15 shipping.

ーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーー

See e-bay auction of similar model but for Nikon: Tokina EMZ130 AF 100-300mm f5.6-6.7 Macro for Nikon | eBay

Weight with both caps and hood: 504 grams
Serial Number: 95072493

AF: Works! In very low room light the longest it took to focus was just less than 1sec. More typically about 1/10 sec. In daylight quite fast IMO!
Sample images: when mounted on the GH1 camera: Index of /Images/_Image_By_Lens/Tokina_AF_100-300mm_f5.6
Glass: Near mint - No scratches, no separation, no clouds, almost no dust! Nothing to affect images!

Notes: Has one tiny speck of goop probably a thread of grease - which looks to be about 0.25mm in length. You need a strong torch to see it though - I’m pretty sure it’s nothing that could affect images even under extreme conditions!
This model of Tokina lens has zoom creep and an anti-creep band would be useful with this lens! About $3 on bay.

Approximate value in my opinion: $90
Asking: $30 + $15 shipping.

See e-bay auction of similar model but for Nikon: Tokina EMZ130 AF 100-300mm f5.6-6.7 Macro for Nikon | eBay

Weight with both caps and hood: 512 grams
Serial Number: 95081706

Sample images: when mounded on the GH1: Index of /Images/_Image_By_Lens/Tokina_AF_100-300mm_f5.6

Notes: This model of Tokina lens has zoom creep and an anti-creep band would be useful with this lens! About $3 on bay.

Approximate value in my opinion: $110
Asking: $35 + $15 shipping.

Tokina AF 100-300mm f/5.6~6.7 (Champagne Gold)
See e-bay auction of similar model (but looks like a different mount): Tokina 100-300mm f/5.6-6.7.af zoom macro 55mm made in japan | eBay

Zoom Type: Rotating ring.
Weight with both caps and hood: 481 grams
Serial Number: 98098828

AF: Works! In very low room light the longest it took to focus was just less than 1sec. More typically about 1/10 sec.
Sample images: when mounded on the GH1: Index of /Images/_Image_By_Lens/Tokina_AF_100-300mm_f5.6
Glass: Near mint

Notes: No scratches, no separation, no clouds, almost no dust! Nothing that would affect images!

Approximate value in my opinion: $120
Asking: $40 + $15 shipping.

Sigma Zoom Master 35-70mm f/3.5~4.5
See e-bay auction of similar model: Sigma Zoom Master f3.5-4.5 35-70mm Multi-Coated Lens - Pentax K Mount | eBay

Manual Focusing Ring: Yes, thin, smooth
Filter Rotation With Focus: Yes.
Weight with both caps: 312 grams
Serial Number: 0118821

AF: Works! A little noisy - not too bad. Quite fast IMO.
Sample Images: When mounted on the GH1: Request images if interested.
Exterior: Near mint!
Glass: Near mint. Looks like just one micro-speck of dust.

Notes: Metal construction, good feel when mounted.

Approximate value in my opinion: $75
Asking: $25 + $15 shipping

Sigma DL 35-80mm f/4~5.6
See e-bay auction of similar model: SIGMA 35-80mm DL ZOOM LENS *RARELY USED -MINT* | eBay

Zoom Type: Rotating ring
Manual Focusing Ring: Yes, smooth
Weight with both caps: 270 grams
Serial Number: 2077483

AF: Works! Quite fast IMO.
Sample Images: When mounted on the GH1: Ask for samples.
Exterior: Used but no specific marks. Maybe an 8. I guess it was used casually for about 6 months and then stored.
Glass: Shinning a very bright torch through it reveals a very slight film on the inside of the real element - I believe it cleanable. Besides that; nearly mint.

Notes: Typical sharp-ish kit lens.

Approximate value in my opinion: $60
Asking: $25 + $10 Shipping.

Sigma 28-80mm Aspherical Macro 1:2 magnification ratio
See e-bay auction of the same model: Minolta maxum 400si 35mm film Camera w/Sigma Aspherical 28-80mm Macro Zoom Lens | eBay

Zoom Type: Rotating Ring
Weight with both caps: 268 grams
Serial Number: 3134724

AF: Yes. Includes Macro Limiter Switch. When using the switch properly AF is quite fast!
Sample Images: When mounted on the GH1: Ask for samples.
Exterior: Minty.
Glass: Minty.

Notes: When used in manual focus mode this lens model has focus creep and should be used with an anti-creep band: about $2 on ebay.

Approximate value in my opinion: $100 ~ $120
Asking: $45 + $15 shipping.

Sigma DL 100-300mm f/4.5~6.7
See e-bay auction of the same model: sigma 100-300mm f4.5-6.7 DL canon mount | eBay

Manual Focusing Ring: Yes, Very wide!
Weight with both caps: 428 grams
Serial Number: 1220403

AF: Works. Quite speedy IMO.
Sample Images: When mounted on the GH1: Index of /Images/_Image_By_Lens/Sigma_100-300_4.5_DL
Exterior: Excellent (But I mean what Japanese excellent, but what Americans say is “excellent”!)
Glass: Minty

Notes: When pointed straight down this lens has a very slight amount of zoom-creep and if used in that way should be fitted with an anti-creep band. About $2 on bay.

Sigma DL 100-300mm f/4.5~6.7
See e-bay auction of the same model: Sigma Zoom Telephoto 100-300mm f/4.5-6.7 DL Autofocus Lens for Sigma AFf | eBay

Manual Focusing Ring: Yes, Very wide!
Weight with rear cap: 427 grams
Serial Number: 1192525

AF: Works. Quite speedy IMO.
Sample Images: When mounted on the GH1: Index of /Images/_Image_By_Lens/Sigma_100-300_4.5_DL
Exterior: Excellent (But I mean what Japanese excellent, but what Americans say is “excellent”!)

Notes: When pointed straight down this lens has a very slight amount of zoom-creep and if used in that way should be fitted with an anti-creep band. About $2 on bay.
Lens comes with no front cap but I will ad a UV Filter in it’s place.

Sigma UC-II 70-210MM F/4~5.6 Macro (1:4.7 magnification ratio - so actually a CF lens not macro as printed on the lens.)
See e-bay auction of similar model: Sigma 70-210mm F4-5.6 UC-II Lens for Canon-AF Camera (085126760274) | eBay

Weight with both caps: 352 grams
Serial Number: 1074194

AF: Works! I think fast.
Sample Images: When mounted on the GH1: Ask for samples if interested.
Exterior: Very good! I few micro-scratches in the rubberized coating but barely noticeable 6 inches from your face.
Glass: Minty.

Notes: Fun and useful zoom range in a compact package.

Tamron AF Tele-Macro (1:4) 100-300mm f/5~6.3 (Model 186D)
See e-bay auction of the same model: Tamron 100-300mm Long Zoom Lens for Minolta Maxxum Film & Sony Alpha | eBay

Manual Focusing Ring: Yes, very smooth, thick, rubber grip.
Weight with both caps: 422 grams
Serial Number: 114745

AF: Works. accurate and fast.
Sample Images: When mounted on the GH1: Index of /Images/_Image_By_Lens/Tamron_AF_100-300_f5
Exterior: Rubberized minty nice.
Glass: Minty looking through to a lamp. Shinning a bright torch thru the lens however reveals a layer of very fine dust - Probably nothing that would affect your photographs!

Notes: This lens is pretty sharp (like most of these listed here) and has a good balanced feeling when mounted on my GH1

Approximate value in my opinion: $140
Asking: $40 + $15 Shipping

Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4~5.6 (Model 172DM)
See e-bay auction of the same model: Tamron Nikon Digital SLR Camera AF 70-300mm f4-5.6 Zoom Lens | eBay

Manual Focusing Ring: Yes, very smooth, thick, rubber grip.
Weight with both caps: 548 grams
Serial Number: 538186

AF: Works. accurate and fast.
Exterior: Rubberized minty nice.

Notes: This lens is pretty sharp (like most of these listed here) and has a good balanced feeling when mounted on my GH1

Approximate value in my opinion: $160
Asking: $45 + $15 Shipping

Minolta AF 35-80mm f/5~5.6
See e-bay auction of the same model: MINOLTA MAXXUM AF Zoom 35-80mm f4(22)-5.6 Zoom Lens fits Minolta & Sony DIGITALS | eBay

Manual Focusing Ring: Yes but a little difficult to grab at certain focal lengths.
Filter Rotation With Focus: No
Weight with both caps (Front Cap is built in curtain type): 231 grams
Serial Number: 21304864

AF: Yes. Fast IMO.
Sample Images: When mounted on the GH1: Ask or samples if interested.
Exterior: Excellent + (It feels so solid I can’t tell it’s plastic or metal)
Glass: Minty with very minor dust - Nothing that would affect your photographs!

Notes: This lens is quite small and compact. Solid feeling too.

Approximate value in my opinion: $75

Minolta AF 100-200mm f/4.5 (constant aperture)
See e-bay auction of the same model: Minolta Maxxum AF 1Zoom 100-200mm f/4.5 Lens Sony Alpha | eBay

Manual Focusing Ring: Yes, smooth, thin but easy to grab.
Weight with both caps: 401 grams
Serial Number: 17112079

AF: Works. About average for this make/class
Sample Images: When mounted on the GH1: Ask for sample images if interested.
Exterior: Metal construction. Some micro scratches and very light scuffs. I guess it’s an 8 - near excellent condition.
Glass: Minty with some very minor dust.- Nothing that would affect your photographs!

Notes: Looks very clean (like new) from 2 feet away! Handles well on my GH1

Approximate value in my opinion: $180
Asking: $50 + $15 shipping

Minolta AF 100-300mm f/4.5~5.6 (with macro focusing))
See e-bay auction of the same model: SONY / Minolta Maxxum 100-300mm AF Zoom f/4.5-5.6 ~Excellent Condition~ | eBay

Manual Focusing Ring: Yes, smooth, thin (rubber) but easily grabbed.
Weight with both caps and hood: 456 grams
Serial Number: 19312821

AF: Works. About verge for this make/class.
Exterior: Minty - Metal construction.
Glass: Minty with 2 or 3 minute dust specs - Nothing that would affect your photographs!

Notes: Has a macro focusing range up to 300mm at 4.5 feet. There is some slight zoom creep from 200 to 300mm at near vertical positions. If used in this way it’s best to acquire an anti-creep band for the lens.

Approximate value in my opinion: $175
Asking: $55 + $15 shipping

Minolta AF 75-300mm f/4.5~5.6 (D) (With macro focusing) (Champagne)
See e-bay auction of the same model: Minolta AF 75-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 Macro lens for Sony Apha | eBay

Manual Focusing Ring: Yes, Very smooth
Weight with both caps: 484 grams
Serial Number: 95107203

AF: Works, I think fast.
Exterior: Minty
Glass: Minty - But shinning a bright torch through the lens reveals a layer of very fine dust on the rear element - (I think cleanable) - probably nothing that would affect your photographs!

Notes: I get very good images from this lens on the GH1.

Approximate value in my opinion: $150
Asking: $45 + $15 shipping

Minolta AF 75-300mm f/4.5~5.6 (Macro focusing)
See e-bay auction of the same model: Minolta AF 75-300mm Zoom 1:4.5-5.6 II for Sony Alpha Excellent+ (043325437946) | eBay

Manual Focusing Ring: Yes, smooth.
Weight with both caps and hood: 535 grams
Serial Number: 57805283

AF: Works, About average speed for this FL and class
Exterior: It looks used, Not bat but that newness sheen to minty goods is lacking.
Glass: Minty. A bright torch reveals a few specks of micro-dust. - Nothing that would affect your photographs!

Notes: Minolta glass! Yummy!

Minolta AF 28-80/3.5-5.6 (D) (Champagne)
See e-bay auction of the same model: Minolta AF 28-80/3.5-5.6 (D) Silver Lens for Maxxum | eBay

Manual Focusing Ring: Yes. Smooth. Thin but very easily grasped.
Weight with both caps: 210 grams
Serial Number: 91204558

AF: Works. Seems very fast!
Sample Images: When mounted on the GH1: Ask for images if interested.
Exterior: Minty

Notes: Cute! Very light and compact!

Tesselator