The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD : Mamiya 300mm f/2.8

RGoldman

After returning from Vermont where I was able to use a new 150mm and 28mm thanks to Lance at Capture Integration. I have decided that I need to sell this lens to help fund the purchase of at least one if not both of the new lenses. I purchased the 300mm from Son earlier this year and it's absolutely mint. I love the lens but find that I just don't use it enough to justify keeping it. The 150mm and 28mm suit my shooting needs much more at the present time. The lens comes in the original Mamiya hard case with the sliding hood, hood extension, and both caps. I have added a long lens plate which I will leave on the lens. It makes it much easier to balance with the long plate! For GetDPI members, I will include a Mamiya 2X TC converter at no charge. This is the "N" version and it also in mint condition.
I purchased this lens from Son (who as most of you know always has the best of the best) for $3000 and it's extremely clean and sharp. I'd like to get $2500 for it but am open to reasonable offers. I will post some images of the lens later today. Buyer to cover PP fees and actual shipping from 98674. Local inspection/PU is also available. You can check my auction site ID: HGHF 100% positive with many expensive camera items as well as 100% positive at FM. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. Thanks!

Ron

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: Mamiya 300mm f/2.8

Oh sure just tease the hell out of me. Damn you Ron :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

I'm banning myself from reading this forum. LOL

RGoldman

You know you want it Guy........ It's probably the only lens you are missing at this point!
And just think, you'd be helping me send Capture Integration more of my (your) money! :ROTFL:

RGoldman

I've been out of town but am back and still have the lens up for sale. Here are some images of the lens. Still including the TC for forum members!

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Only thing I have to trade is my Oly 520 , 14-54,50 macro and 40-150 zoom and my good looks which won't get me very far with Ron. LOL

PSon

Whoever buy this lens will get a full set of filters from me (very expensive set). I will take photo of this filter set (upload it tomorrow) and will send to the buyer of Ron's lens for free including free shipping and insurance. If Ron decided to keep this great lens I will then shift him the filters set as a gift.

The 300mm focal length has always been one of my favorite focal length in telephoto lens. In the medium format only two lens from 300mm and beyond are as fast as F2.8. The first one is the lens for sale here, the Mamiya Apo 2.8/300 which originally sold for $12,000.00 USD when it was still in production. The other one is the Hasselblad 2.8/300. Both lens can be used with the 35mm format since at F2.8 there are enough light for accurate focusing manually.

The only reason I bought the Mamiya Apo 2.8/300 so that I do not buy the Zeiss 2.8/300 version. Ironically, the reason I sold it was due to the purchase of the Zeiss 2.8/300. However, the Zeiss version simply set me back quite a bit financially. Based on my experience the Mamiya Apo 2.8/300 has extremely good colors and resolution. The avatar of my father (from my website) was taken with this lens. Unfortunately, I somehow missed placing the original file so I cannot share here. But below is an image of my father this fall taken with the Zeiss 2.8/300 version right after Photo Expo in NY. The compressed file showing here does not do justice for these two lens. The image come straight from the camera without any extra post processing; no sharpening was applied.

In addition, after I sold this lens to Ron I missed it and reacquired another one but it just was not as sharp as the copy I sold to Ron. I also sent the lens to MAC group and have them tested the lens and calibrate for me but when it came back it simply just not as good as the one on sale here from Ron. Thus, the lens for sale here is a very good copy.

Best Regards,
-Son

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Damn, that lens definitely has a phenomenal rendering...

RGoldman

Makes me wish I could afford to keep it and still get the 28mm and 150mm! If things weren't so slow lately, I might be able to swing it but I just don't see the economy turning around soon enough.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Hi Ron,

Do you have any images that you've shot with the lens at f2.8? I'm interested to see how the lens renders wide open. Thanks.

Kurt

PSon

Kurt,
There are not too many of these medium format lens at this focal length that yied extremely accurate colors and beautiful bokeh. The shadow details on this lens is very lovely unlike other lens where the shadow details are crushed into black and noises. This lens has great balance between resolution, bokeh, shadow details and the classical look to it. Most new modern lens has too much macro contrast and they have the tendency to interfere with the shadow details and micro contrast. If I still shooting the Mamiya system I would buy it back from Ron. The price Ron is asking is the best deal I have seen especially a lens that we know is a great copy.

Best Regards,
-Son

PSon

here is the filter sets (total 6) free including shipping and insurance to the new owner of this lens or if Ron decided to keep the lens the filter sets will go to him. If there is anything more I can do just let me know. Please excuse the poor image quality that the filters were taken.

Sincerely,
-Son

RGoldman

Hi Kurt. I will look for some images tomorrow and send them to you.

Son.... Thanks again!

Ron

PSon

Ron,
PM me your shipping address so I can send the filter to you in case you want to keep the lens.

Best Regards,
-Son

RGoldman

Hello Joerg. The lens is sold. Thank you for inquiring. I need to update this post and mark it as sold.

Thanks again to Son as well. I really appreciate you sending the filter set for the lens.

Happy New Year everyone!

Ron