The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Leica 75mm f1.4 Summilux E-60 (10+)/Boxed/Perfect Focus/Flawless

D&A

Hi All,

***First let me request that if you would like to contact me about the sale of this item to please e-mail me at IRGdme "at" AOL "dot" Com ,since repsonding to PM's on my tiny cell phone is always difficult and generally causes a delay until I can get back to a regular computer.

It's an extremely tough decision (and thats putting it mildly) to put up for sale my Leica 75mm f1.4 Summilux (M) lens.....but to fund some other purchases one often has to let go their prized items to do so.

This lens was purchased brand new by my dad and never ever used until fairly recently when I decided to take some brief test shots with it, especially to determine not only it's "look" but focusing accuracy on two different M9 bodies and an M8.2 . Needless to say I was truly floored by its classic look and phenominal performance, something I wasn't prepared for. It was then that I understood what others saw in this lens, especially when used both wide open and a stop down from f1.4. Focusing accuracy on all three bodies was dead on (extremely precise), both at min distance, mid-range and infinity at f1.4 and beyond...something I didn't expect right out of the box new. I cannot speak for other bodies but can for these three. Nailing focusing even at f1.4 and close range was something quite easy...no different in my opinion than my 50mm f1.4 Lux asph.

Due to this accuracy, I hestiated to send in the lens for 6 bit coding since 1) it doesn't need it and 2) I didn't want to take any chances of it coming back and having to deal focus accuracy due to changing lens mount.

Lens as mentioned is an absolutely perfect gem, inside and out...both cosmetically and funtionally and with perfect glass inside and out. it comes in its original Leica red &white box with of course matching serial #/bar code on the side. Lens also comes with it's original front/rear caps. My dad used to store all equipment paperwork seperately from his equipment and it's the one thing I haven't been able to find. Serial # of lens is 3458xxx .

With regards to where lens was made, it is Canadian version (built in sliding hood) and I did get to compare this lens with an aquantences german made version and absolutely not one bit of difference...exaxctly what others have found.

Below is a link to a excellent GEtdpi thread for the 75mm f1.4 Summilux with users givng their impression of both lens performance (one of those "last lenses I'll ever sell) to no differences between Candian and last German version of this lens). All the comments explains the lens in general very well and why it's such a desirable and incredable lens. Just click on the words (link) directly below....

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/leica-m-x-r/10309-75-summilux-version-differences.html

Price is $4295.00 plus shipping (plus paypal fees). Lens upon shipping must be insured for it's full amount and for overeas shipping, full declaration of it's value required.

If necessary and when things quiet down a bit, I'll take some images of lens and box etc.

As reference, I've brought and sold many items here on getdpi and all the other usual forums with perfect success and have been an ebay member for over 13 years with a perfect 1300+ positive record.

***Again if you have any questions, please e-mail me at IRGdme "at" AOL "dot" Com ,since repsonding to PM's on my tiny cell phone is always difficult. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Hi All,

I've been reluctant to bump this because I know I will regret selling it...especially that I have little doubt it will be a fantastic lens due the way it "draws" for B&W photography with the upcoming M9m Monochrome camera. This of course would also apply to any B&W conversion. For those who use and own this lens, their testimony is certainly be indicative of just how special this lens is.

If it wasn't for funding something else that's needed, I wouldn't have listed it. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

For those that haven't shot with this lens, it's very unique in the world of Leica lenses. Many consider one of the most appealing Leica lenses for portraits when shot at f1.4 & f2, with just the right combination of sharpness and roundness thats attractive for most portrait subjects.... with a very evenly balanced microcontrast. The bokeh is smooth and exceptional and at 75mm f1.4, can be exceptionally shallow.

Many compared the look and appeal of the lens to the f1 Noct but more highly corrected and often a much more versitle choice. When stopped down further, it somewhat similar to the 50mm Lux pre asph in look and performance, exceptional for almost any subject and most love the way the lens "draws". It is of course one of a number of Mandler designed favorites and it's easy to see why, especially with a sample like the one I am selling that focuses perfectly, even wide open and at minium distance. As others will attest to, it's very hard to find a sample like this

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Hi All,

Please e-mail me (e-mail is always easier to respond to than a PM on the cell phone but if you feel more comfortable with a PM, thats fine), if you have any questions, especially regarding price or a possible number of different kinds of payment options to help lower the purchase cost of this lens. Thanks!

Dave

kebebe

Hi Dave:

I had that lens and feel sorry to sell it but my eyes have hard time focusing due to getting poorer vision. Someone will be will be very happy. What are you buying that you are willing to part this lens?

Everett

D&A

Hi Everett,

Always good to hear from a great and informative forum member and truly nice person. I've been very reluctant to sell the 75mm Lux and that's my honest feeling. I personally feel when shooting with a sample that focuses perfectly, it is one of Mandler's most interesting and versatile M lens designs. Most who shoot with this lens knows exactly the feeling. I think as some of us get older, deteriorating eyesight does make rangefinder photography somewhat more difficult but sometimes with corrective eyepieces, it helps some.

The reason I came to decision to put the lens on the open market was to fund two items needed for photographic work. The first being a medium format lens and the second a non photographic item. I always hate as most do, having to give up something in order to get something, if the item being given up is cherished. Guess the realities of life...that is until I find the winning lottery ticket. :).

Dave (D&A)

Godfrey

wish i could afford it. i had one of these 'Luxes years ago and loved the way it draws, albeit it comes at the price of being rather large and heavy.

(personally, i have no problems selling gear i'm not using to buy gear i want to use. to me, it's all just gear. i like it all but rarely build any sentimental attachment to it. i would be upset if i lost my Rollei 35S or Minox C, however. ;-)

good luck finding a buyer. it's a special lens and ought to be used.

D&A

Hi Godfrey,

Thanks for your kind and encouraging words! This was my Dad's copy. I had one that I used in the Leica film only era and simply loved the images it produced, I sold that copy when certain DSLR's came calling. This one (the one I am selling) is special to me personally in a # of ways. I always am sad when selling an item that I either truly love or enjoy using or even when it has served me well beyond expectations... or simply brought immense pleasure. I can't say that about everthing I shoot with, even if it does the job. I think we can all identify with things like that....even certain cars we drive or own :).

As in this case it comes down to needing a certain medium format lens and another item and something has to give. I"m already down to a box of mac and cheese a day from other purchases I made....LOL!

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Hi All,

First let me request (as usual) that if you would like to contact me about the sale of this item, to please e-mail me at IRGdme "at" AOL "dot" Com ,since repsonding to PM's on my tiny cell phone is always difficult and generally causes a delay until I can get back to a regular computer.

I have been swamped with all sorts of work related responsibilities and other things and haven't been able to keep up with everything, including items I originally (but very reluctantly) wanted to sell to fund some other projects.....so I am reviving my "For Sale" ad here for my 10+ Leica 75mm f.14 Summilux E-60 Lens which is Boxed/Perfect Focus/Flawless. The full description and many comments can be read in the various posts in this thread. Once I can catch my breath, I hope to eventually take pics but there is little to see that distinguishes this lens from a perfect boxed virtually new lens. Price as stated above is $4295.00 plus shipping (any the usual paypal fees if you choose to pay that way). Other payment options may be available in order to avoid Paypal fees.

As reference besides my postitive feedbacks here on Getdpi...I have over 11 years of a perfect 1,300 postive feedback record on ebay and perfect positive references on FM, RRF, and other photo related sites.

***Again if you have any questions, please e-mail me at IRGdme "at" AOL "dot" Com ,since responding to PM's on my tiny cell phone is always difficult. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Another bump for the fantastic weather we're having and of course an equally fantastic Leica lens (for sale).

Dave (D&A)