The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Exakta mount Zeiss Schneider lenses for NEX, M4/3

vdeakin

Hello all,
For sale are six Exakta mount lenses from my personal collection made mainly by Zeiss and one by Schneider: Flektogon 4/25, Biometar 80/2.8, Tessar 80/2.8, Tessar 10.5cm(105)/3.5 and Triotar 13.5cm/4 by Zeiss and Xenon 2/50 by Schneider Kreuznach.
This is a standard Exakta mount for which there are plenty of adapters. These wonderful sleepers were used on my M4/3 Lumix camera which I'm giving up, but they could be easily and maybe better used on Sony NEX cameras given the abundance of $25 Exakta adapters for both mirrorless mounts. Some of these Exaktas migrated to other mounts like M42 or P6 but the lore claims the original Exakta to be a little more special. They were also chosen for their old fashioned apertures - all but the wide angled Flektogon have 15 blade perfectly rounded apertures as you see at the first group photo.
The lenses are in great condition optically (clear glass, no rust, fungus, separation), physically and mechanically. Some have a tighter rotation with focus or aperture but are perfectly functional and usually alleviated by a lighter touch or little exercise - remember some of these lenses were made right after WWII, and a basic CLA, if desired, would make any of these lenses perfect for another 20 years.
Now the particulars and the prices:
1. Carl Zeiss Jena 4/25 Flektogon - this lens is amazingly sharp (sharper than its 4/20 cousin), the last MFD number is 20cm but it goes beyond that and focuses within 10cm in my testing. The lens was CLA'd over a year ago and is in perfect condition mechanically and optically. There is a microscopic 2mm mark on the front glass and a couple of dust specks immaterial to the IQ. Serial # 6374778, purplish coating. One front cap - $225.
2. Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 80/2.8 - also a great lens, 15 blades, in my informal testing was mostly sharper than the C/Y Sonnar 85/2.8 and R Elmarit 90/2.8 that I had in M42. Do not see any dust in the clear glass, nice shiny condition, very smooth focusing, the aperture is a little tighter. Serial # 3584249, red T coated. One rear cap - $225.
3. Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 80/2.8 - plenty sharp though not as sharp as the Biometar but the Tessars are famous for their rendering, and this one doesn't disappoint, 15 blades, clear glass, smooth aperture, tighter focusing. Serial # 4848925, purplish coating. Both caps - $160.
4. Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 10.5cm/3.5 - absolutely unique, totally unknown and unmentioned by any source lens (saw it for the first and last time when buying). It's made of black anodized aluminum and is astonishingly light, maybe 100 grams. There is a traditional Tessar rendering with 15 blades, the optics are clear, everything rotates nicely. Serial # 2669633, a little purplish coating. Both caps - $155.
5. Carl Zeiss Jena Triotar 13.5cm/4 - This a chrome version and the most solidly made lens of any I held. It has a red T coating (also with purplish tinge), the glass and body look blemishless, the focusing is tight. Serial # 3122588, No caps - $75.
6. Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 2/50 - This is also an all chromium lens in beautiful condition with a great 15 blade bokeh. It's a very small lens - 25% smaller than Jupiter 3 or 8 (though heavier), 1" protrusion from the mount and 1.66" wide - not to be confused with 50/1.9 Xenon that is an inferior lens without so many blades. The focusing is tight, and the optics are clear with the exception of 2mm to 3mm minor hair like scratch/mark on the front glass, totally immaterial to the IQ. Serial # 2101647. Both caps, I'm asking what I paid (though some people offer it for $400) - $160.
7. RJ Exakta to M4/3 adapter and a good one - $15
(would be included with an over $300 purchase)
15% off for a brave soul taking all six.
You can check my feedback here and at Ebay (also 'vdeakin').
The prices do not include shipping or PP charges. More photos are available on request.
Thanks for viewing,
Victor

P.S. Additional thought - it could be also adapted to the Samsung NX models via Exakta to 4/3 and then 4/3 to NX adapters which are rather inexpensive, and there should be direct Exakta-NX adapters if not now then in a near future.

Last edited: