The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Baby Rollei 4x4 or a very user Condition TLR.

PatrickCheung

Hillary, my girlfriend, got a Rolleicord and is making me regret selling mine :( Now I'm looking for a really cheap TLR, super user condition, preferably around the $100 mark. I've used a Rolleicord 3 with a haze and fungus filled lens, really dim finder, and sticky slow speeds before and I've been more than happy with it, as long as it makes photos, I'm happy! There's a yashica mat with off speeds on KEH for $76 that looks really enticing, and a BGN Yashica A for $120! Though, living in Canada... I have to pay $60 shipping... which sucks. Figured I'd ask here first.

I'm also looking for a baby rollei! The 4x4 ones! The one thing I absolutely hated about TLRs were that they were a little too big and heavy for me to bring around everyday! I'm not sure how much these things cost but they seem to go for around $3-500 on eBay. Maybe something a little less than that? Though if that's the price I need to pay, then I'll consider offers :)

OR! A yashica 44 :) Same deal as the Baby Rollei, but I'm looking for one in the $100-200 price range!

So in conclusion... I'm looking for
A super user condition TLR (as long as it takes photos and I don't have to struggle TOO much with the finder) for around $100
A baby rollei... for however much they're worth!
A Yashica 44, around $1-200

PatrickCheung

I want to I want to! though, it's a little too much for me. The TLR is more of a summer-fun toy :) Though, I'm starting to consider making it a long term thing.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Go Yashicamat ! A most fun camera, and not heavy at all. Very sharp lens.

--Matt

PatrickCheung

Argh... LOL.

I just consulted my girlfriend about this... I'll copy and paste our skype conversation.

I've narrowed it down to a few cameras that are availible to me:
The Yashicamat LM - $130
The Baby Rollei - $250
Mamiya C330 - $280

See, I know i'm gonna want quality photos, as much as I try and convince myself tha tthis is gonna be a summer thing....
[11:33:42 AM] Patrick Cheung: :\
[11:33:49 AM] Patrick Cheung: I feel like the C330 is the best investment
[11:34:00 AM] Patrick Cheung: it holds its value the most
[11:34:12 AM] Patrick Cheung: then again, most of these things hold their value
[11:34:23 AM] Patrick Cheung: it's just the demand for th LM and the Baby Rollei are no where near as high as the demand for the C330
[11:34:41 AM] Patrick Cheung: The C330 is also expandable with interchangable lenses
[11:34:52 AM] Patrick Cheung: if I want to invest
[11:35:06 AM] Patrick Cheung: and image quality goes in this order... C330 -> Baby Rollei -> LM, at least from what I see in samples
[11:35:21 AM] Patrick Cheung: though... affordability goes to the LM.
[11:35:36 AM] Patrick Cheung: the stupidest choice would be the baby rollei, but it might make me as happy as I would be with the C330
[11:35:59 AM] Patrick Cheung: I would be happy and satisfied with the C330... but it's hard to swallow the price
[11:36:00 AM] Patrick Cheung: SO.
[11:36:36 AM] Patrick Cheung: knowing all this... it seems like the LM is a good compromise. it's smaller than the C330, cheaper than both, and does what I want it to do... the Baby Rollei makes me the happiest, but the C330 is the most practical....
[11:36:38 AM] Patrick Cheung: WHAT TO DO.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The C330 is much heavier than the Yashicamat. I'm not sure about the Rollei. I never upgraded to the C330 for the size+weight reasons.

Have fun!

Matt

PatrickCheung

:) thanks for the tips! Weight IS an issue. I'll probably see what I can afford... :\ looks like a Yashicamat is the way to go, economically and with respects to efficiency!