The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Leica 180mm F2

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I like to try the Leica 180mm on my R9. If you have one pm me.
Maybe this will save you some remorse later . I am a huge fan of the 180mm Leica R lenses and have used all of them at one time . The 180summicron clearly has the best IQ and the ability to isolate the subject better than any other . It has several downsides ..(1) it huge and very heavy ...not a lens for walking around or even much hand held us ...its best on a monopod or tripod (2) the lenses are in very short supply and the prices are extremely high with whats available being mostly in Hong Kong (3) the lens is hard to sell in the USA because most R users have moved on recognizing its size . If you buy in HK and sell in the USA you will lose 40-50% . Its an inefficient market .

A much better choice for most users is the latest 180/2.8 APO (that accepts the 1.4X extender ). This lens was designed near the end of manual focus for most systems and has a superb focusing mount . (the 180/2 is similar) . This is a lens that I can follow focus a surfer shot from an angle (from a pier). If using it on a R9 you have the equally fine 1.4x APO extender which is perfectly matched to the later versions of this lens . This lens produces essentially the same image quality which exceeds most anything else at this focal length . You can find these for around $3000-3300 and can resell them easily because they are popular and lower cost .

CONTAX

Thank You Roger for the detail information. Too bad the HK has raise the price too high nonetheless. I read Ervin Putts said good thing on the 180mm f/2.8 Apo as well.

topoxforddoc

I love my 180/2 cron. It is the perfect lens for my DMR, when I shoot concerts. Truly fabulous. OK it is heavy, but it balances nicely with the DMR/R9; I can hand hold this to 1/30th. Focus is beautifully smooth with my thumb. Wonderful.
No, I haven't tried the 180/2.8 APO and I know that some say that it is even better the the 180/2. But I want/need that extra stop.
Good luck in finding one. They're pretty rare.

Best wishes,

Charlie
Charlie Chan

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
If you are OK with the size and weight ..then the two advantages are speed and shallow DOF . The DMR was one of my favorite cameras ever but ISO was limited (for me to 400) after that you have to accept quite a bit of noise . So on a DMR having F2 could be important and a lot of people used the 180/2 for that reason . Shallow DOF like a Noctilux is the other major reason . The IQ on the 180/2 is no better than the 180/2.8 app and both exceed most any lens in this range in IQ. But if you want the paper thin DOF ..the 180 s either of them can produce some real beauty .

bensonga

I would love to see the results from either of these lenses. Do any of you have images posted online for viewing? I own the much less expensive 180/2.8 non-APO model (v2).

Gary