The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FT: Nikon 24-70/2.8 for Canon 50/0.95

A

asabet

I am looking to trade a Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 lens for a Canon 50mm f/0.95 lens which has been converted to rangefinder-coupled Leica M mount. I am only interested to trade for a lens with perfect glass and well done conversions. Mild-moderate wear on the body lens is okay with me. Will negotiate price adjustments on either side of the trade depending on the condition of the lens. My Nikon zoom is in nearly perfect condition and comes with everything as new.

V

Vivek

Amin, The arrival of the Panasonic G1 changed my view on my sample (glad I did not sell).

Look for the light blue coated glass (preferably TV lens with no cut off rear element, these are late production glass, made well into the late 1970s). This works much better for digital than the other versions with amber coating.

A

asabet

Will do Vivek. Thanks for the advice! If I can't find a converted one, do you have any advice about who I could use for the conversion? I saw a field mouse photograph from you that was unbelievable.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Amin, you should talk to Kevin at Kevin's Cameras in Los Angeles. He can not only do the conversion, he sells the 50 f/0.95 lenses. You mite be better off just selling your zoom, and buying one of his if you can't find a trade.

A

asabet

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the recommendation! I read somewhere that Kevin's items are priced at the high end, and I was hoping to pay in the midrange of what the lens sells for. Am I wrong about Kevin's pricing? Also, I see in his lens descriptions references to "cleaning marks". What exactly is a cleaning mark?

V

Vivek

Amin, Kevin Li is the person to get the conversion done with one thing to watch for: Make sure he does not trim the Leica M mount to fit the Canon to make it look cosmetically (very very important). The focus/collimation job is the best there is.

He also thinks lowly of this lens. So, he won't lube it!

I don't think he has one to sell. If/when he does, expect $300-500 over what the market value would be.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Amin, Kevin Li is the person to get the conversion done with one thing to watch for: Make sure he does not trim the Leica M mount to fit the Canon to make it look cosmetically (very very important). The focus/collimation job is the best there is.

He also thinks lowly of this lens. So, he won't lube it!

I don't think he has one to sell. If/when he does, expect $300-500 over what the market value would be.
I see someone else has had dealings with Kevin Li :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
He can sure be a trip to work with, but he does fantastic work changing out lens mounts. This guy can do almost anything, provided the flange focal distance will work. He is also very reasonable I have found for top quality work. As far as his used lens prices go, you do often need to get into the "negotiating mood" before you try to buy. Since a lot of the items he offers are extremely rare, it can come down to just how badly do you want it? Last I looked about a month ago, he had three f/0.95 Canon lenses, but no guarantee they are still around. Oh, and to Kevin, EVERYTHING has at least one cleaning mark :cussing:

A

asabet

Thanks guys. Kevin actually has a bunch of 50/0.95 lenses right now. He is charging $350 for a conversion and is quoting $1750-2250 for a converted lens depending on the condition of the lens. I'm hoping to find one for a bit less and send it to Kevin for the conversion.

A

asabet

I'm going to withdraw the trade offer and think about keeping the Nikon versus selling it outright. Thanks again Vivek and Chuck for the advice.

A

asabet

Make sure he does not trim the Leica M mount to fit the Canon to make it look cosmetically (very very important).
Hi Vivek, I was wondering why this is important and why he would do it since he has done a bunch of these?

V

Vivek

Amin, As it turns out, the "not real" M mount cameras such as the Leica CL, Epson RD-1, etc need that whole M mount. Otherwise, the lens will not lock and stay put when mounted.

Kevin tests the lenses on an M3. There it will stay locked. He will send it back to you saying everything is peachy.

A little known M mount quirk that has caused me a whole lot of time/money/effort.