The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 50mm ’Lux ASPH, 28 ’Cron ASPH, & 90 Elmarit (Coded)

dubes

Now that my M9 is off to its new home, it’s time to let the lenses go as well. It took me years of experimenting to settle on these 3 as my Leica kit (plus a bargain-grade item at the bottom), and breaking up is hard to do.

All prices shown are for CONUS buyers.

(1) Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH (6-bit coded)

I’ve owned the 50mm pre-ASPH Summilux (with the E46 filter) and the now the 50mm ASPH. They are both excellent lenses in their own right, but let’s face it: the 50mm Summilux is the best fast 50 I’ve used on any camera (caveat: my experience is limited to Leica, Nikon (AF/MF), and Canon (MF)). Would love to get its equivalent in Nikon mount, but Nikon would never.... :( I have not tried the new ($8,000) Summicron, so I can’t say how this compares, but you could save a bundle and get a faster aperture with this. :)

The photos speak for themselves. There is a tiny bit of paint loss on the aperture ring, but other than that cosmetically the lens looks great. Focus is also accurate on my (now departed) M9.

Includes box and B+W UV filter.

Asking $3,300 and we split Paypal fees and shipping.

(2) Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH (6-bit coded) with Leica 12466 Replacement Lens Hood

I had always had love-hate relationships with 28mm lenses, but that changed with the 28mm ’Cron--it was love at first sight. Widest angle of view on the M without resorting to accessory viewfinders.

Optically perfect, but the lens body shows some paint loss and wear on the lens throat.

Includes box, B+W UV filter, the original rectangular lens hood and the replacement Leica 12466 lens hood that Popflash sells for $359.

Asking $3,000 and we split Paypal fees and shipping.

(3) SOLD! Leica Elmarit-M 90mm f/2.8 - latest (last) version with 6-bit coding

I admit it took me some time to warm up to this lens because when I first got it the focus was off. A trip to Leica NJ in early 2012 for adjustment and 6-bit coding solved those issues, and I couldn’t be happier. I’ve had the Pre-ASPH Summicron and the Tele-Elmarit, and image-wise the Elmarit is my favorite Leica 90. Still don’t get why Leica killed it.

Superb condition cosmetically and optically.

Includes box and B+W UV filter.

Asking $1,500 and we split Paypal fees and shipping.

(4) Leica Tele-Elmarit 90mm f/2.8 (Thin, Made in Canada, and troubled)

I had this lens CLA’d a few years ago by Sherry Krauter, and at the time she said it’s got a mild case of “T-E disease” (Google it). Sherry’s advice to me was to shoot with lenses, not shine lights through them, and I can’t say I’ve noticed any ill effects in my images.

This lens would probably rate as either “Bargain” or “Ugly” on the KEH scale. No box, just the original (Leica) front and rear lens caps, B+W filter and a 3rd party rubber hood.

Decent compact and lightweight lens for a 90mm, which made/makes it popular for travel or for use on Micro 4/3 or NEX.

Asking $250 and we split Paypal fees and shipping.

Last edited:

dubes

Elmarit-M 90mm f/2.8 is now SOLD. Thanks, 2eleven!

And I am no longer going to sell the 90mm Tele-Elmarit. It's just too ugly.

Last edited:

dubes

New Pricing:
- Leica 50mm 'Lux-ASPH: $3,200
- Leica 28mm 'Cron-ASPH WITHOUT 12466 lens hood: $2,850. Package deal for the 28 + 12466 hood is still $3,000.

I will not sell the 12466 lens hood until after the 28mm 'Cron sells.

Thanks!