The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (Nikon)..Best of 9 samples tested!

D&A

Hi All,

*** First, please e-mail me at IRGdme "at" AOL "dot" Com instead of a PM, since responding to PM's from my small cell phone is difficult during the day.

I am pairing downsome of my extra/back-up Nikon equipment and thought I'd give a bit of history regarding both this lens in general and the sample I am selling.

I always thought quite highly of the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens ever since it was introduced but only if a superb optical sample was found. Thats the difficulty with this particular model lens, maybe more than most zoom lenses I've tested...it's sample to sample variability. It's small, relatively compact and light and a gem of an optical performer throughout it's zoom range especially for a travel lens, if one carefullly tests samples and picks out a near perfect one that shows little to no decentering. That's the key!

Because this is one particular model lens that I knew had substantial variability in samples, I had the opportunity to test 9 brand new samples! Four of them were screw driven models (NOS) and five were the current BIM (built in motor) model. After having tested all of them, I personally noticed that the newer BIM models had consistantly better optical performance across the lens entire range of focal lengths and f-stops. No question from what I closely observed by carefully examining the RAW files at 100%.

I believe this better and more consitant performance with the BIM model may have something to do with Tamron now having better quality control in production of this lens and possibly (or maybe) addtional coatings for the somewhat increased contrast exhibited by these later lenses. Sharpness though across the frame was defnitely better in most BIM samples I tested.

I purchased two of them, keeping one as a back-up, not wanting to retest if I needed another down the road. I now decided to sell one, simply to use the funds for another camera system I use.

The lens is pristine and cannot be distinguished from a brand new lens. It's flawless in every way and except for the initial testing of the lens as described above, it went right back in it's box, un-used..with all paperwork and complete just as Tamron USA sells and packs them.

*** Lens has 4 years and 10 months remaining on the Tamron USA 6 year warranty!. Unlike Nikon, Tamron I'm almost certain allows transfer of warrenty from the origional owner, which I am. Lens was purchased just a little over 1 years ago, brand new.

As for the BIM model focusing a bit slower than the screw driven model..it does, just as Nikon's G lenses do! I personally don't find it slow per se (although the screw driven model is a bit faster)...but I'll trade far better optical performance across the lenses range anytime as a tradeoff for slightly slower autofocusing.

Price for the lens is $339.00 plus actual shipping/insurance costs. I will cover Paypal fees. I think this is an excellent deal for someone looking to obtain and use this lens and wants a partiulary good sample.

*** Again, please e-mail me at IRGdme "at" AOL "dot" Com instead of a PM, since responding to PM's from my small cell phone is difficult during the day.

If you have any questions, please ask. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Hi All,

Just wanted to mention that this lens is now sold. As always thanks to those who contacted me with interest, much appreciated.

Dave (D&A)