The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 400mm f2.8 APO ROM, fresh from Leica service

robsteve

Subscriber
I have moved on from the Leica R system. My Leica 400mm f2.8 APO has just returned from a cleaning and service and it is time to put it for sale. I have owned this lens since new, bought in I think 1998. These are a fairly rare lens, with around 390 made. It is about 2kg lighter than the modular version and I believe it also focuses closer. The lens is super smooth to focus and I have always shot sports and action with it using only my thumb to move the focus ring.

The lens had a complete service by Leica Solms which included a complete clean, lube and check optics for centering and etc. This service cost $1395.

It is in EX++ to mint- condition, with only a few marks on the lens body. The optics are freshly cleaned, though they were not dirty to begin with. The focus is smooth as new since it just had a CLA. My asking price is $8900. I will share the shipping fee.

Here are some images taken with the lens, the first few on film and later on digital, using the DMR.

robsteve

Subscriber
I will post a couple more images of this lens tomorrow. It is in very nice condition and with the recent cla, it has super smooth focus, ideal for use shooting video.

robsteve

Subscriber
It also comes with the wide Leica shoulder strap made especially for this lens. It has quick release buckles to allow you to also use the shoulder strap to carry the trunk case.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I've actually shot with this lens, and can tell everyone it is FANTASTIC. Wish I could afford it myself, but I know whoever buys it from Rob will enjoy the heck of this baby!

robsteve

Subscriber
I've actually shot with this lens, and can tell everyone it is FANTASTIC. Wish I could afford it myself, but I know whoever buys it from Rob will enjoy the heck of this baby!
I have proof Chuck shot with my lens :) A few of us from the early days of GetDPI and the leica DMR had a fabulous time visiting Chuck when he was living in Mexico.

robsteve

Subscriber
This is a fine lens for the new M and is lighter than the Modular version and focuses closer, which is handy with smaller subjects like birds.. It also works really well with the 1.4x and 2x extenders.

Here is is on the D800E using the Leica 1.4x converted to Nikon. The lens side of the extender was still Leica R, allowing me to use any of the R lenses that work with the 1.4x on the Nikon. This is prior to the CLA, but you can see the lens focuses so smooth I could follow focus the dog running towards me at 560mm.

algrove

I have purchased gear from Rob and I can attest to the fact that how he describes his lenses is highly accurate. I must say I am very pleased with R product purchased from Rob.

robsteve

Subscriber
I have purchased gear from Rob and I can attest to the fact that how he describes his lenses is highly accurate. I must say I am very pleased with R product purchased from Rob.
Thanks, I like to keep my gear in good shape. With a high value item like this lens, I even had Leica do a full service so the new owner is guaranteed a nice lens.