The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Minolta 5400

Bruno

This is a dedicated film scanner and 35mm slide.
It is the top end of Konica-Minolta offering a resolution of 5400 dpi, a dynamic range of 4.8 DMax, corrections Digital ICE hardware, multiple scanning options and USB 2.0 and FireWire interface.
Take two accessories, one for loading film strips (up to 6 frames) and one for slides (up to 4) with which can also be loaded manually if desired.

The result of scanning a negative / slide is take a picture of about 42 Mpx (a whopping 7920x5328px). In my experience exceeds the effective resolution of the negatives / slides I scanned (although I have not proved beyond Velvia 50)

Then took the other model (5400 II) optically somewhat faster but with the same characteristics. On the internet you can find reviews that say the new model has worse light emission (not "dissolve" well the film grain) and mechanics.
In this scanner evaluations place him alongside the Nikon Coolscan 5000 which gets expensive.

The scanner software and drivers are ready to run on XP and Mac Using Vuescan software is not necessary or available drivers.
In Linux I have not tried but is included in the list of running on SANE scanner.

STATE
The scanner works perfectly except that it allows you to focus manually. I do not know if this option has real utility (I have not used) and the autofocus works smoothly.

Externally it has a slight dent in the lower left corner and does not put the manual focus control as a hit transport and plastic knob broke inside. The solution was to remove the automatic control function already :)

DELIVERY AND PRICE
The sale includes the scanner with slide and film accessories, manual (multilanguage including Spanish), charger, USB and Firewire.

350€ net to me