The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS M3

M

Mango

Woody, Serial numbers higher than 919,251 are all single-stroke, per the CameraQuest website:

http://www.cameraquest.com/mguide.htm#M3's

Excerpt:

Per Laney's Collector's Guide, significant M3 changes occurred at:

- 700,000 Starting Point (1953

- 785,801 (1955) added Viewfinder Frame Selector Lever (very convenient)

- 844,001 (1957) glass film pressure plate changed to metal

- 919,251 (1958) Lever advance changed from two to single stroke. In use "single strokes" are generally much preferred, but some old timers are adamant that the "double strokes" are smoother and even last longer because each stroke puts less stress on the gearing.

- 919,251 (1958) Depth of field indicators placed in the Rangefinder. Notice the little cutouts on the upper and lower edges of the RF image. The cutouts indicate Depth of Field for 50mm lenses at f/5.6(larger lower cutout) and f/16(larger upper cutout). If the double rangefinder image is within the cutout, either in front of or behind the focused object, both objects will be sharp.

- M3's with serial numbers over 1,000,000 have a premium placed on them, providing they are in collectible Mint- or better condition. Many people believe, rightly or wrongly, that these cameras are the highpoint of Leitz craftsmanship. It was the end of production with a very experienced work crew of craftsman. The serial #'s over 1.1 million are even more highly regarded, for the exact same reasons. Most of the very last M3's (aprox 1,000) had the later and in some people's mind less desirable M2 type lens release. Whether the later M3's really are better made by a small amount is not that important in practical terms, that they sell for more is.

- Later M3's probably have a more dependable shutter than earlier ones, although I do not know the serial # cut off. In any case, my own favorite is the later M3's with all the features over serial # 919,251. NOTE that earlier cameras could be converted to later features by Leitz or authorized repair stations.

sinwen

Thanks Mango for these info. Actually I never had any other M3 so I won't know the differences in a practical way, but what I know is this one never dropped me, the shutter is a wonder, I love it but....