The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FRAUD Alert!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
If it looks fishy it very well might be fishy.
Use care folks please.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am wondering why my post (fraud alert of this person) was not shown here.
Because all new posts from new members are held until a moderator releases it.
This goes away after awhile
-bob

mbroomfield

Back in early April in response to my WTB for a DP1M... he sent me this after I noticed his 1st post was a PM to me and I asked for some references.

To be honest I was not suspicious but just did not want to go through with a buy from someone with no history here, on FM or LuLa.

If an Admin wants to email me I'll forward the email address. I don't have the PM any more and don't recall his GDPI moniker. I don't think it was any of the above.

Mike

ooooo

Thanks for your email...I feel very bad because you think i want to
steal your money .... I have done several deal on the internet and
never had a bad one.. I am a citizen of Belgium that base in Sweden
,Here is a Look at my feedback
http://www.astromart.com/users/profile.asp?user_id=24715&tab=4 ...
and also a good member of the Amateur Ham Radio club http:/ /
qrzcq.com/call/ON6QZ I feel so bad .. I am a happily married man with
two children .. on the website, you will see a picture of me. I can
not steal your money .. I feel bad and I promise to ship as soon as i
receive payment .... I have a Facebook account. you can add me or you
send me a friend request on Facebook is on Facebook.

srtiwari

The most wonderful part of a community like GetDPI or rff is that 'Tom from wherever' will now have to take his 'Business' to another planet !

Farnz

If only it were so. Like a virus he's likely to transform and reappear after awhile with a new identity. The potential pickings are too rich here for him not to so it's down to us to be vigilant and report suspicious activity like Dhruba has in this thread.

Pete.

anthonysemone

There has been a spate of scammers attempting to rip off folks on Fred Miranda. It behooves us all to check across multiple sites, as well as to introduce our own efforts to whack these horses' back ends :D , e.g., by posting a WTB ad to suck 'em in. :) :)

scooter

Because all new posts from new members are held until a moderator releases it.
This goes away after awhile
-bob
Could you implement no access to private messages without x number of posts? That may be one way to slow these guys down.

BuGG

I just registered here to report that I got a similar email from this guy regarding a guitar on another forum....

This time he is "Tom from Canada"...

There have been multiple scam attempts recently, all using names from HamCall.net, the HAM radio callsign database.

yusuf

I posted a buy thread for SEL35/50mm lens and I received a similar response from Jose Manuel <[email protected]>. He asked my to pay by bank transfer or western union so I checked his feedback, and it was obvious. Below is his email. Interestingly, there is a Facebook profile linked to that email address when I searched facebook for that email address - not sure if person's email is abused by someone.

https://www.facebook.com/philp.brown.353?fref=ts

Thanks for your email..I have attached pictures for you to view...it
is in good condition and work perfectly well....Look clean and
excellent..let me know how much you are willing to offer including
shipping and insurance to your doorstep..I will need your shipping
address for delivery..My mode of payment is via bank transfer or
Western Union,please let me know the one you prefer and i will send you
my details for payment thanks and hope to hear from you soon

Lloyd

This guy put the bite on me. Here's what I posted just today on the Negative Feedback forum:

Seller: gear64 (Actually does not appear on the members list)
Phony Name: "Tom Mastroberardino" [email protected]
PayPal: [email protected]
Problem: Total Scammer!

On July 7th I got an email via the forum system in response to a WTB ad I had placed some time ago. To be honest, I didn't take the time to vet him, but just responded to his email indicating interest. He sent pics of the item, and we agreed on a price. I paid via PayPal, and then NOTHING happened.

I contacted him several times on email address [email protected] ("Tom Mastroberardino", which appears to be a fake name, although there is a person by that name, and almost the same email in Italy.) asking about shipment. He then responded that there would be "Customs" of $400.00 on the item (for which was paying $385.00), claimed it was a "new law in Canada", and asked me to send the $400.00. When I refused and asked for a refund, he said he no longer had the $$$ in his PayPal account, but that someone was going to send him money, and he asked me to receive it, keep my refund amount, and then Western Union him the difference. I also refused this scam.

I contacted him a number of times asking for a refund, but he stopped responding. Fortunately, I had paid through PayPal with a credit card, and was able to get my bank to request a refund, which I have now received.

(My own fault for being lazy. I should have vetted him!)

D&A

Lloyd, stories like this sends chills down my spine and its so unfortunate that it only takes a few rotten apples to spoil it for everyone else. Glad to hear you didn't loose anything when all was said and done except a lot of agrivation and time.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

mbroomfield

Is there any way that an admin could send out a PM blast suggesting all members review this string? Lloyd (and potentially others) would get forewarned.