The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Leica 90mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M with pull-out hood, caps, leather case, box

Hosermage

Just bought a 35'Lux so I need to recover some funds... The first lens on the chopping block is my 90mm Elmarit-M e46 with sliding hood.

The good:
- beautiful rendering
- flawless rear element
- come with original caps, leather pouch, box
- clean aperture blades
- 6 bit coded, done by John Milich

The bad:
- black chrome faded in some places on the barrel
- barely seen rub marks on the sliding hood
- 3 dust-like spots behind first element near the rim, do not affect pictures
- user-condition rear cap

see 2 spots under the 8 of "1:2.8/90", 1 spot near the 9 of the serial number

The ugly:
Focus shift. I have sent this lens to DAG about a month ago to fix. He said: "In checking the focus out I found that the lens is front focusing by a slight amount from 3 feet to about 6 feet. Then past 6 feet the lens focuses quite good." Then after he took it apart, he found: "There is no way to adjust this lens, it was never designed to be adjusted so there’s nothing I can do to change the way it focuses." So the lens was returned to me with nothing done. To illustrate the effect of the focus shift:

I shot this cap 1 meter away, focusing on the rear tab, and as you can see, it front-focus about an inch. You can learn to compensate for it, just like you would for the ZM50 Sonnar. I've been shooting at f/4, where the shift is pretty much not noticeable.

For all its flaws, it's still capable of producing good images, see some shots here: Disneyland, with 90mm - LeicaLux. For all its flaws, I'm setting a low price of $1000, includes paypal and USPS shipping with tracking number. CONUS only. I won't be able to ship until after July 7th.

Thanks for looking.

rsolti13

FYI....you may be scaring people away with terminology, it front focuses a hair, the lens does not focus shift. That being said, what a steal at $900.

Hosermage

Thanks, Ryan, for the correction, but maybe beyond repair at this point ;-) I have been pretty happy with this lens until I found the 90mm Macro-Elmar for its compactness. I think I may have to sell that one instead.