The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD :Mamiya 300mm F 4.5 AF APO

Tim Ernst

Hey Woody, I wasn't too worried about it - but if it would make you feel even better, I've got a Mamiya 28mm Asp. f4.5 lens for sale too at a great price!

gsking

Re: Mamiya 300mm F 4.5 AF APO

Greg

As Ken pointed out I used to have a 300 2.8 and liked it until I foolishly got hold of Ken’s 4.5. The weight difference is huge. I also found that the 4.5 was much easier to use due both to the big weight difference and the fact it is AF vs strict manual operation of the 2.8. Comparing the sizes I would say the 2.8 is much like a Canon 300 but weighs closer to a 500 while the 4.5 is much like a 70-200 in size and weight. As far as image quality goes while they are close I prefer the 4.5.

So here’s the rest of the story. I visited Ken and as soon as I returned home ordered the 4.5 and sold the 2.8 and haven’t looked back. I did find out on that trip that visiting with Ken can be very expensive…

don
Don,

Thanks for the info. Yeah, the weight and the manual focus don't seem to go well together. I can't see myself using it much...although I will have to get a couple keepers using the 2x TC before I downgrade. :) Just couldn't pass up a chance at such a beautiful lens in mint condition.

Although it would be fun to use as a T/S lens on APS digital. Maybe that's a good reason to keep it. Excuses, excuses.:eek:

There's a guy on another thread from Germany looking for one...maybe I'll put it on a slow boat to Europe. I'm sure my wife would approve, even if it was only to trade down to the f/4.5.

Will that one work at all with the TC? I don't see them having released any AF TC's.

Greg