The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD :Mamiya 300mm F 4.5 AF APO

Tim Ernst

I bought this lens last year from Pham Minh Son and have only used it a couple of times so it is still in good condition. Here is how he listed it to me:

--4.5/300 AF Apo
Condition: everything is like brand new but since there was a defective in the coating which show the paint wears on the barrel otherwise look and is like new. Price: $2000--

The defect he noted is an obvious mark in the outside paint coating, otherwise the glass and all else are fine.

I'm asking $1500 plus shipping, and no need to cash your check or charge your credit card until you have received the lens from me and know all is OK with it. Let me know via e-mail if you are interested. Thanks!

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
[email protected]
www.Cloudland.net

woodyspedden

Re: FS: Mamiya 300mm F 4.5 AF APO

I bought this lens last year from Pham Minh Son and have only used it a couple of times so it is still in good condition. Here is how he listed it to me:

--4.5/300 AF Apo
Condition: everything is like brand new but since there was a defective in the coating which show the paint wears on the barrel otherwise look and is like new. Price: $2000--

The defect he noted is an obvious mark in the outside paint coating, otherwise the glass and all else are fine.

I'm asking $1500 plus shipping, and no need to cash your check or charge your credit card until you have received the lens from me and know all is OK with it. Let me know via e-mail if you are interested. Thanks!

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
[email protected]
www.Cloudland.net
Tim

If this is still for sale I am very interested. Most folks on this site know me well and so those on the Leica user group site. I can pay with a personal check, cashiers check, or paypal. I just hate to use paypal because it costs you about 4% which frankly is ludicrous! I can wait a few days while my check clears and then have you send it to me. Seems a lot better than getting ripped off by 4% for no service whatsoever.

Let me know if the lens is still available and how you would like to proceed

Best

Woody Spedden
Fort Collins, Colorado

Tim Ernst

Hey Woody, yes, the lens is still available - I can't stand PayPal and don't have an account so would never use it. You can mail a check after you have a look at the lens - just send me an e-mail to [email protected] with the shipping details (I don't check in here too often). Thanks.

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
www.Cloudland.net

woodyspedden

Tim

O.K. we both agree on the sins of paypal so let's do it your way.

Please send the lens to:

Woody Spedden
5916 Watson Drive
Fort Collins, Colorado 80528
Tel: (970) 204-1785

By the way I leave for Florida on January 26th so need to have the lens prior to that since I will be in Florida for five weeks!

Best

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Argh I really want this lens but timing is just not good. Woody it is a sweetie of a lens. I will mark this sold. BTW I can vouch for Woody as my older brother. LOL Great Guy

Tim Ernst

Re: SOLD: Mamiya 300mm F 4.5 AF APO

OK woody, I guess you don't like e-mail for some reason so I'll list your options here. If you can send me an E-MAIL with your reply within the next 30 minutes or so I can get it shipped via UPS today - otherwise UPS won't be picking up at my place until January 5th (I'm two hours from the nearest UPS location and they only come out here twice a week).

UPS ground would be $18, three-day $29, two-day air $38, and overnight $78. I assume that ground would be fine with you but please let me know so I can include an invoice with the lens. My e-mail address is [email protected]. Thanks!

Tim Ernst in Arkansas

Tim Ernst

What, you can vouch for Woody as your brother? He must be a shady character then, the deal is off, ha!

Guy Mancuso

Woody make sure Tim sends you his book at some point. You will love it

woodyspedden

Tim

I am so sorry but I mistakenly thought this was a 300mm for the Hassy system. I have no Mamiya, only the Hasselblad H3DII-39. So I am afraid I can't buy this lens after all.

Regrets
Woody

Tim Ernst

Re: Mamiya 300mm F 4.5 AF APO

Banks? That would just be pocket change for you! Of course I guess there may be "65" less pixels of change in your pocket soon, ha!

gsking

I owned the 300 mm and stupid me sold it. Now i need it
Guy,

Can you (or others) tell me how the 4.5 compares to the 2.8? Obviously the 2.8 is much heavier, and manual focus. I presume it's also better to use with the 2x TC?

But in terms of IQ or any other pertinent factors....anything really noticeable? Anyone used both?

Thanks,
Greg

Guy Mancuso

Never shot the 300 2.8 but the 4.5 is really nice and sharp even wide open. I'm trying to raise the cash to buy this again. Jack is sending me his for this weeks job. I'm in LA until next Monday the 12th

kdphotography

Guy,

Can you (or others) tell me how the 4.5 compares to the 2.8? Obviously the 2.8 is much heavier, and manual focus. I presume it's also better to use with the 2x TC?

But in terms of IQ or any other pertinent factors....anything really noticeable? Anyone used both?

Thanks,
Greg

Greg,

Talk with Don Libby, Iron Creek Photography, a member here.... Don has had both the Mamiya 300 2.8 and opted for the Mamiya 300mm 4.5 after shooting with mine....

Don Libby

Never shot the 300 2.8 but the 4.5 is really nice and sharp even wide open. I'm trying to raise the cash to buy this again. Jack is sending me his for this weeks job. I'm in LA until next Monday the 12th
Guy - All you had to do was ask!

don

Don Libby

Guy,

Thanks,
Greg
Greg

As Ken pointed out I used to have a 300 2.8 and liked it until I foolishly got hold of Ken’s 4.5. The weight difference is huge. I also found that the 4.5 was much easier to use due both to the big weight difference and the fact it is AF vs strict manual operation of the 2.8. Comparing the sizes I would say the 2.8 is much like a Canon 300 but weighs closer to a 500 while the 4.5 is much like a 70-200 in size and weight. As far as image quality goes while they are close I prefer the 4.5.

So here’s the rest of the story. I visited Ken and as soon as I returned home ordered the 4.5 and sold the 2.8 and haven’t looked back. I did find out on that trip that visiting with Ken can be very expensive…

don