The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS Contax 645 SYSTEM WITH EXTRAS

I am going to be buying and selling some gear in the near future. I have not sold on this forum, but check out my 100% E-bay feedback (42 ratings) for high end photo and diving gear under the name guynmaribi.

Up for sale is my beloved Contax 645 System. It has traveled from Florida to Alaska and never missed a beat. I had thought that, one day, medium format digital photography would be affordable for me, but it seems that day is never coming, so I am going to part with this and hope that someone with the right digital back, or a fine art film user, can get the most out of this.

This system needs no introduction. My last film outing, a couple of years ago, was to the Colorado Rockies for the wildflower bloom and the Velvia transparencies were just stunning.

This system will be sold as five different items. The original kit with extras, then 3 lenses and a set of extension tubes. This is for the system with extras.

Item 1, Complete Contax 645 Kit with body, metering prism, 80mm F2 lens, lens hood, 2 film backs, 2 120/220 film inserts, and 2 of the 220 vacuum inserts for perfect flat 220 film. Also includes, Contax cable release, Contax rotating right angle finder, and Contax AA battery grip. This was my bread and butter landscape setup for many years. For you film shooters, with two film backs, you can be loaded with B&W and color film simultaneously and switching takes just a few seconds even mid-roll. With four inserts, you can be loaded for bear (four 220 rolls ready to fire, if needed) if you want to catch a spectacular sunset, bracket, and try multiple compositions under time pressure. The battery grip gives plenty of juice.

As for condition, there are scuff marks on the body and prism from taking the camera in and out of its storage backpack over the years. I do not call them scratches or dings, because none of them score the surface. The camera has never been banged around. They are more like rubbing marks. I would say camera body and film backs and grip are 8+ to 9. Everything functions well and the body, backs and metering prism communicate with no problems. The lens is 9, a little wear around the front and two tiny dings on the hood, but otherwise clean, glass is clean and clear. AF and aperture work fine. Film inserts are great shape, right angle finder is mint, cable release mint

Price for Item 1: $3,500. All items will ship in their original boxes and then placed in a larger box. A couple of the body covers were missing but I used sturdy cardboard over the shutter and focus screen, and on the prism glass.

I do not want to break up this kit and have to ship multiple small items. For now, looking to sell only the complete kit, please.

A similar outfit recent sold on feebay for $3,700, and did not include the extra back, only had one vacuum insert, and no right angle finder. I would split Pay Pal fees (buyer add 1.5%) and include free parcel post shipping with insurance and tracking. By the way, parcel post is only a couple of days longer than priority mail in most cases.

For more photos please PM me with your e-mail address and I can send quite a few. Or, email me directly at [email protected]

Check my prices against E-bay sold items and you will see they are right on the mark.

TO MOFOTOMAN, I TRIED TO REPLY TO YOUR PM ABOUT MY LENSES FOR SALE, BUT GOT A MESSAGE THAT YOU WERE NOT ALLOWED TO RECEIVE PMS? THAT DID NOT MAKE SENSE BECAUSE YOU SENT ONE TO ME.